PDA

View Full Version : airdate for Torchwood

nevada
05-13-2009, 01:27 AM
BBC America has just confirmed that season 3 of Torchwood will air in July. No specific dates yet. It is supposed to be simulcast with the British airing so people in the UK, that means for you it'll be July as well. One week of new programming over the summer at least. Can't wait to see it.

firedrake
05-13-2009, 01:28 AM
BBC America has just confirmed that season 3 of Torchwood will air in July. No specific dates yet. It is supposed to be simulcast with the British airing so people in the UK, that means for you it'll be July as well. One week of new programming over the summer at least. Can't wait to see it.

*weeps with joy*

Another Torchwood fan!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait!!!

Kitty Pryde
05-13-2009, 01:29 AM
<does a dance of joy>

<falls over>

<goes to sit in the corner and think about Ianto Jones>

Parametric
05-13-2009, 01:36 AM
Is today Release Date News Day? First Patrick Rothfuss announces he's finished The Wise Man's Fear, now Torchwood is finally naming a date. :D

Kathleen42
05-13-2009, 01:52 AM
Thanks!

White-Tean
05-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Oooh, Rothfuss finally finished book two, yay!

... Still no news on Australian air date?
I've seen some ads on the cable network, so I'm assuming it's being aired there. No idea when though - in Australia the free to air network announced the one month delayed Christmas special was "fast-tracked". For a one month delay, what the halibut?

I swear I live on Tatooine.

Calla Lily
05-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Yay!

*whispers* But what about Doctor Who? :rant:

Lady Cat
05-14-2009, 05:54 AM
Thank God! It's been so long I was starting to get worried.

nevada
05-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Scuttlebut says airdate of June 15th in the UK but I haven't been able to confirm that.

Tasmin21
06-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Airdate is July 20th as far as I know.

A sneak preview of episode 1 was shown in a theater in London (I think) on Saturday, June 14th. If you're like me and you can't wait until July to get a taste of what's going on, you can google "torchwood children of earth part 1 2009" to get to a blogger who was there and has written a synopsis of the entire episode.

Spoilers abound, much squeeing ensued.

I need professional help.

Sarpedon
06-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Hmm, I watched the first few episodes of that, and wasn't too impressed.

Does it get better after a bit, or what? Or is it primarily a girl show? (judging from what Ive seen here)

Tasmin21
06-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Well, my hubby and his buddies love it, but I get the feeling that it's a love it/hate it kinda thing. There don't seem to be a lot of people who are lukewarm about it.

nevada
06-16-2009, 04:54 AM
It does get better. there's more cohesion in the second season, and better writing as well, once they settle down and decide what kind of show they want to be. But yeah, love/hate, but give it a chance. Cassiopeia hated it but kept watching cause i raved and now she loves it too.

I will stay away from the spoiler. I normally don't mind but definitely am going to not spoil it. There's only five episodes to squee over. lol

Parametric
07-07-2009, 02:34 AM
Torchwood was sweet magical deliciousness tonight. :D

eyeblink
07-07-2009, 03:01 AM
It's five episodes over five nights this week in the UK.

As for Doctor Who, the remaining two specials are a two-parter over the Christmas period, leading up to David Tennant regenerating into Matt Smith.

Calla Lily
07-07-2009, 03:05 AM
:( We don't get Torchwood in the States till July 20. As for The Doctor, I found Planet of the Dead on YouTube, though. That's not airing here till July 26.

Is there a Who y'all have seen in Britain that won't air here till God knows when? Would you have the title? *begs*

eyeblink
07-07-2009, 03:07 AM
No, Planet of the Dead was the most recent one - it aired over Easter weekend here.

Calla Lily
07-07-2009, 03:11 AM
*sigh* Thanks.

Kitty Pryde
07-07-2009, 05:39 AM
Torchwood was sweet magical deliciousness tonight. :D

Ohhh, jealousy: I has it. Please don't spoil in this thread anybody! :) I hope to wander around the internets for the next few weeks without finding out what happens.

nevada
07-07-2009, 07:41 AM
OMFG that was SOOOO GOOOOOD. i've got tears in my eyes. lmao i'm such a geek. but everything that doctor who hasn't been lately, torchwood was. OMFG.

Parametric
07-08-2009, 02:56 AM
Tonight's episode was also full of win! And surprisingly hard-edged and horror-ish. I can overlook the little stuff that doesn't work, because the emotional story is really doing it for me. Love love love. :LilLove:

Kitty Pryde
07-08-2009, 02:58 AM
*pines away for Ianto*

Siiiiiigh...

Parametric
07-08-2009, 03:07 AM
OMFG that was SOOOO GOOOOOD. i've got tears in my eyes. lmao i'm such a geek. but everything that doctor who hasn't been lately, torchwood was. OMFG.

YES. Doctor Who forgot how to characterise secondary characters. Torchwood remembers. Doctor Who forgot that the core of its story is a strong emotional arc. Torchwood can do that. Both series have a tendency to handwave minor plot contrivances, but Doctor Who forgot that you have to buy your audience's suspension of disbelief with shiny things. Emotional things. Character moments. Torchwood will bribe you with a big heaped bagful of them, until you're happy to overlook any number of baddies from the Imperial Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Also, the Torchwood ensemble cast is doing way more for me right now than the lonesome Doctor trying to carry the entire episode himself. Is it just me, or has Gareth David-Lloyd as Ianto improved enormously from the first series? I want to eat him with a spoon.

Kitty Pryde
07-08-2009, 03:10 AM
YES. Doctor Who forgot how to characterise secondary characters. Torchwood remembers. Doctor Who forgot that the core of its story is a strong emotional arc. Torchwood can do that. Both series have a tendency to handwave minor plot contrivances, but Doctor Who forgot that you have to buy your audience's suspension of disbelief with shiny things. Emotional things. Character moments. Torchwood will bribe you with a big heaped bagful of them, until you're happy to overlook any number of baddies from the Imperial Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

I'm willing to forgive anything after the preview had Gwen jumping out the back of an ambulance firing a gun in each hand :D Oooh, I can't wait!

Also, the Torchwood ensemble cast is doing way more for me right now than the lonesome Doctor trying to carry the entire episode himself. Is it just me, or has Gareth David-Lloyd as Ianto improved enormously from the first series? I want to eat him with a spoon.

Noooooo he's mine I tell you!

nevada
07-08-2009, 04:18 AM
kitty, apparently the episode is available on youtube. my sister watched it from her hotel. if you don't want to wait.

And yes I totally agree about the character development. These characters didn't stand still between season 2 and 3. Obviously there was huge growth between rhys and gwen, and jack and ianto and it shows. i can't wait to see episode two.

Cassiopeia
07-08-2009, 04:20 AM
*blink* I wonder if it's on my dvr. *RUNS*

Calla Lily
07-08-2009, 05:29 AM
Just watched part 1 on YouTube. WIN.

Cassiopeia
07-08-2009, 05:44 AM
I have my dvr set to record for the 20th which is when it says it is airing on BBC America. Part 1 of 5.

nevada
07-08-2009, 05:58 AM
I have my dvr set to record for the 20th which is when it says it is airing on BBC America. Part 1 of 5.

it's airing on five consecutive nights so don't miss it on the 21st etc. lol that would totally suck.

trocadero
07-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Just watched Torchwood Children of the Earth Day Two on youtube. I loved it - better than Day One. So much story! I think it would be such a kick to be watching it in the UK, over the five nights. Youtube will do nicely, though:)

Calla Lily
07-08-2009, 03:28 PM
And that's what I'll be watching tonight! Thanks for the heads-up, trocadero!

Lady Cat
07-09-2009, 02:25 AM
I couldn't wait until July 20, I just finished watching the first installment on YouTube.

*sigh*

BigWords
07-09-2009, 03:36 AM
It's worth the wait.

Lady Cat
07-10-2009, 01:19 AM
Crap! The BBC is starting to take Torchwood down from YouTube. I only got to see the first 2 1/2 episodes, which is just enough to really drive me crazy until the 20th! :D

maestrowork
07-10-2009, 01:49 AM
NEWS: They will be promoting Children of the Earth at Comic Con and John Barrowman will be there at a panel discussion of the show.

maestrowork
07-10-2009, 01:50 AM
Crap! The BBC is starting to take Torchwood down from YouTube. I only got to see the first 2 1/2 episodes, which is just enough to really drive me crazy until the 20th! :D

And they should. Illegal copies on YouTube only hurt the show.

firedrake
07-10-2009, 01:57 AM
well, some moron has posted a HUGE spoiler which has turned up on my FB page.

I am well torked off.

Kitty Pryde
07-10-2009, 02:02 AM
well, some moron has posted a HUGE spoiler which has turned up on my FB page.

I am well torked off.

OH NOES! That is terrible. The internets ruin everything.

maestrowork
07-10-2009, 02:08 AM
There's always morons who think they're so cool to post spoilers.

firedrake
07-10-2009, 02:11 AM
There's always morons who think they're so cool to post spoilers.

I know, and this one is a massive spoiler in the truest sense of the word.

It really boils my piss.

Parametric
07-10-2009, 03:02 AM
cut

nevada
07-10-2009, 03:12 AM
cut as well

Parametric
07-10-2009, 03:17 AM
Sorry! I thought that was vague enough to not be spoilerish - I've been posting my thoughts throughout the thread. I've cut my post. :)

edit: Oh, I see what you mean. When I referred to the spoiler I just meant a Big Shocking Spoiler of Doom, rather than literally. I see the way I described it was slightly ill-chosen. :tongue Sorry again.

nevada
07-10-2009, 06:12 AM
thanks parametric. :D

nevada
07-10-2009, 04:04 PM
saw episode four last night. AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHH is all I'm allowed to say since there will be no spoilers. Russel T Davis is either a genius or a rat bastard, probably both. I LOVE this show.

Darklite
07-10-2009, 05:14 PM
I love(d) the show. Not sure how I feel about it now though. It can never be the same :cry:

Calla Lily
07-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Is it still on YouTube?

Tasmin21
07-10-2009, 06:45 PM
It was this morning, but that's been like an hour or so ago.

And I'm not even sure I'm going to watch part 5 now. What's the point?

Parametric
07-10-2009, 08:15 PM
I think the next episode will hit the reset button.

Tasmin21
07-10-2009, 10:08 PM
That'd almost make the whole thing cheap though, wouldn't it?

Hmm, I dunno. I suppose I will watch the last part, 'cause how can I not? But I'll reserve more judgement for after. (and for when we can discuss spoilers ;) )

Parametric
07-11-2009, 12:59 AM
:eek::eek::eek:

firedrake
07-11-2009, 12:59 AM
:eek::eek::eek:

That good eh?

Parametric
07-11-2009, 01:07 AM
That good eh?

:Wha::Wha::Wha:

:Jaw::Jaw::Jaw:

:Ssh::Ssh::Ssh:

firedrake
07-11-2009, 01:10 AM
:Wha::Wha::Wha:

:Jaw::Jaw::Jaw:

:Ssh::Ssh::Ssh:

hahahahahahahaaha!!

Brilliant!

Fran
07-11-2009, 01:17 AM
It aired this week in the UK. I've just finished watching it.

It's fab - I hope you all enjoy it :)

nevada
07-11-2009, 06:13 AM
Oh. My. F'n. God. I cried. I can't wait for season 4 now. I hope it's a long story too. It is absolutely brilliant.

Calla Lily
07-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Checking in with another opinion, and with NO spoilers:

nevada: I completely agree that Davies is a rat bastard. He is also a freaking brilliant writer.

That being said, even if this show gets renewed, I will never watch another ep. Ever. I am appalled and disgusted and depressed and even feel somewhat betrayed. That Davies managed this in five 40-minute eps is, again, brilliant. Whatever they're paying him, it's not enough. I'll be happy to discuss further after it airs in the States. I'm off to watch something lighthearted and remember that despite SF conventions, there is a God.

If possible, I would give the 5-day series both five stars and a complete thumbs down.

Kathleen42
07-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Oh. My. F'n. God. I cried. I can't wait for season 4 now. I hope it's a long story too. It is absolutely brilliant.

What season 4?

firedrake
07-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Checking in with another opinion, and with NO spoilers:

nevada: I completely agree that Davies is a rat bastard. He is also a freaking brilliant writer.

That being said, even if this show gets renewed, I will never watch another ep. Ever. I am appalled and disgusted and depressed and even feel somewhat betrayed. That Davies managed this in five 40-minute eps is, again, brilliant. Whatever they're paying him, it's not enough. I'll be happy to discuss further after it airs in the States. I'm off to watch something lighthearted and remember that despite SF conventions, there is a God.

If possible, I would give the 5-day series both five stars and a complete thumbs down.

Berluddy Hell, Lily..between what you've said and the rep message that Para left me, it sounds like RTD really pulled the stops out. It's going to be a long 9 days dodging reviews and spoilers! I shall do my best.

I love RTD, the man is a genius, not just a great story teller but he has a real gift with words. What he did to Doctor Who was beyond miraculous. I wish I could go to ComicCon and thank him personally for his brilliant work.

If you ever get a chance to see 'Second Coming', I'd recommend it. It's the first RTD piece I saw and it's clever, funny, brilliant and sad.

Calla Lily
07-11-2009, 06:29 PM
fire, it's all on YouTube--or is your laptop still acting up?

Kathleen42
07-11-2009, 06:42 PM
And they should. Illegal copies on YouTube only hurt the show.

I don't see that as much with Torchwood and Who as I do with other series. Most of the people who watch it on YT seem to be doing so to cope with the gap between when it airs in the UK and when it airs in their home countries - they're fans, not merely the curious. They'll often watch it again when it airs in their own country and they're often the same type of people who own the DVDs.

They're not the guy who is sitting in his basement downloading Public Enemy because he can't be bothered to pay $10 for a movie ticket.

firedrake
07-11-2009, 06:50 PM
fire, it's all on YouTube--or is your laptop still acting up?

I'm going to be a martyr/masochist and wait for it to be shown on BBCA. I want to watch it on TV and get the full experience.

It reminds me of an episode of a classic British comedy series called 'The Likely Lads'. In this one episode, the two MCs were doing everything they could to avoid the result of an important soccer match, because it was going to be on TV later. It was a classic episode. They ended up successfully avoiding hearing the result untill they got home to watch the match and then, I think, it was the one guy's wife who gave the result away.

nevada
07-11-2009, 07:30 PM
What season 4?

Supposedly, BBC is all ready to go ahead with filming of season 4, scripts actors everything. They were just waiting to see what the ratings were. First episode got 5.9 million viewers, the best season 2 did was just under 4, and the ratings held strong for the rest of the week. That's no doubt strong enough to get a green light for season 4.

Callalilly, i understand how you feel. I and my sister are incredibly bummed. We even discussed the possibility of a reset when Jack's on Doctor Who, but the doctor wouldn't do that. he only fixes things that are wrong. So we're gonna have to live with it and cope. Right now I love and hate russel T Davies. I can imagine a lot of the questions at the comic con he's going to be at will be the same one we're asking.

God, I hope i managed to avoid all spoilers. lol

Parametric
07-11-2009, 07:41 PM
We need a Torchwood spoiler thread, stat! :tongue

firedrake
07-11-2009, 07:43 PM
I see there's a review in today's Guardian.

I can't tell you how many times, in the past hour, my cursor has hovered over the Guardian bookmark.

Parametric
07-11-2009, 07:45 PM

I can't tell you how many times, in the past hour, my cursor has hovered over the Guardian bookmark.

Yeah, I wouldn't read today's Times, either. :tongue

nevada
07-12-2009, 12:29 AM

I know it's tempting, and normally, I don't care about reading spoilers but in this case, I think you will love it so much more and it will have such an impact on you if you don't read the spoilers. It's worth the agony. Or see if it's still up on youtube to watch. but be strong and stay away from spoilers.

firedrake
07-12-2009, 12:31 AM
I know it's tempting, and normally, I don't care about reading spoilers but in this case, I think you will love it so much more and it will have such an impact on you if you don't read the spoilers. It's worth the agony. Or see if it's still up on youtube to watch. but be strong and stay away from spoilers.

That's the intention, to wait until it's shown here, because I'd like it to have that impact which, of course, is blunted when you know what happens.

Calla Lily
07-12-2009, 12:57 AM
Definitely brace for impact, fire.

Tasmin21
07-12-2009, 02:58 AM
I honestly worry about myself that I'm this emotional about a TV series. That either says something about me, or about the writers.

And Lily, I agree about the five star/thumbs down comment. That's exactly how I feel.

I do have to say, though, that British TV could give Hollywood lessons on not letting things leak, 'cause I don't think anyone had any clue just what was going to go down in CoE.

trocadero
07-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Loved it. I watched it every day as soon as I could find it online, then last night I convinced my husband to watch the first one and we watched five hours straight. It has certainly caused mixed and strong reactions in torchwood discussion forums.

Great stuff. The kind that makes you feel like you've been run over by a bus, but it was worth it!

Kathleen42
07-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Weirdly enough, I have almost no desire to watch it. Saw the first twenty minutes and just can't work up the desire to watch more.

I wonder if this means I'm still not over Journey's End.

nevada
07-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Weirdly enough, I have almost no desire to watch it. Saw the first twenty minutes and just can't work up the desire to watch more.

I wonder if this means I'm still not over Journey's End.

If you're still not over Journey's End, this series will gut you. Keep watching, you won't be sorry. The emotional payoff is incredible. It delivers what it promises and then some.

And can I just say how much the music added? Torchwood's always had a great soundtrack but they really outdid themselves on this one. Not forgetting the lack of music in some scenes for great effect.

firedrake
07-12-2009, 10:18 PM
If you're still not over Journey's End, this series will gut you. Keep watching, you won't be sorry. The emotional payoff is incredible. It delivers what it promises and then some.

And can I just say how much the music added? Torchwood's always had a great soundtrack but they really outdid themselves on this one. Not forgetting the lack of music in some scenes for great effect.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Only 8 more days to go.

nevada
07-13-2009, 12:26 AM
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Only 8 more days to go.

You can do it. Be strong. :e2cheer:

firedrake
07-13-2009, 12:28 AM
You can do it. Be strong. :e2cheer:

*rocks in corner sucking thumb*

Tasmin21
07-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Bumping this up so we can start getting opinions as this airs in the states. ;)

Kathleen42
07-22-2009, 07:44 PM
I still have a weird lack of interest. I almost ordered Space on Monday so I could watch but just... didn't.

Calla Lily
07-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Discussing bits of it with fire has brought back in full force the slimy disgust the series left me with. :(

Tasmin21
07-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Discussing bits of it with fire has brought back in full force the slimy disgust the series left me with. :(

Yeah. It still gives me the squirms.

Parametric
07-22-2009, 08:44 PM
I liked it. :tongue

trocadero
07-22-2009, 09:09 PM
It rarely happens that I have to google actors and see them away from the show to remind myself that the thing on the screen is NOT real, and everything is really okay and I'll get over it and be all right. Children of Earth did that. I can't wait for the next lot! Counting down now til DW's The Waters of Mars in November.

Forbidden Snowflake
07-22-2009, 11:06 PM
So, to a complete newbie to Torchwood or Dr. Who...

what do I need to see? Can I start with Torchwood without having seen Who or do I need to watch some of Who?

Because the whole premise sounds really interesting and I wonder how I could have missed it until now...

Kathleen42
07-22-2009, 11:09 PM
I'd say you can start with Torchwood. There are a few crossovers but it's not necessary that you you see Who.

I don't liek it as much as Who - but it's nifty. Almost like what would happen if the XFiles and Doctor Who had a baby and asked Joss Wedon to babysit.

Tasmin21
07-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Watching Dr. Who only gives you a teeny bit of backstory. It's not necessary, but adds a cute bit of trivia later if you ~want~ to go back and watch Dr. Who too. (and who wouldn't? ;) )

firedrake
07-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Well, I'm liking it so far!

Lily, your comments are driving me into a frenzy of OMG what is this all about? :D

ETA: I watched Torchwood before I watched Dr.Who. I love DW but for entirely different reasons and they do stand alone, although I had to explain to a colleague how it was that Jack became immortal because he hadn't watched DW.

Forbidden Snowflake
07-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Ok, so that means Dr. Who is worth it? :D

Kathleen42
07-22-2009, 11:25 PM

They are very different shows. For my part, I adore the past four seasons of Doctor Who. It's one of those very rare series that makes my heart sing.

Okay.. so that's totally cheesy.

... but true.

firedrake
07-22-2009, 11:25 PM

I think so, but then I think David Tennant is the hottest of hot hotties :D

Kathleen42
07-22-2009, 11:27 PM
I think so, but then I think David Tennant is the hottest of hot hotties :D

True. But I love Nine the best.

Forbidden Snowflake
07-22-2009, 11:27 PM
The 2005 version then... what about the older series? (Even though the amount of material that is lying around in the older series makes me want to think I would never manage to get through that!)

Calla Lily
07-22-2009, 11:28 PM
I've been watching Doctor Who since it started in the 60s. (Yes, I'm a fossil. :tongue) It has always been fun, quirky, and fascinating. Torchwood used to be a good show, but it's merely the red-headed stepchild of the Doctor.

I have an unending crush on Tom Baker. *sighs over The Tennant*

firedrake
07-22-2009, 11:30 PM
The 2005 version then... what about the older series? (Even though the amount of material that is lying around in the older series makes me want to think I would never manage to get through that!)

I'm not crazy about the older stuff. I loved the old black and whites when I was a kid. But I thought Tom Baker was an unrepentant ham, and by the 800s the series was losing the plot a bit.

The 2005 and onwards Doctor is an entirely different animal to me. It's more than just an 'alien of the week' series. It's darker, there's more hints about the Doctor's past and it's just so beautifully written.

ETA: Bugger, just seen Lily's comment about TB. *runs*

Kathleen42
07-22-2009, 11:31 PM

I'm so going to get slammed for this... but.... I prefer the 2005 reboot starting with Christopher Eccleson. It's very accessible to people who haven't watched the older series.

I grew up in the Davidson, Baker (C), and McCoy era and I really like the older shows - I just like what RTD did better.

I'd start with the new and maybe pick up a few classic story arcs along the way.

Calla Lily
07-22-2009, 11:31 PM
*plots unspecified pranks for the Ms. fire, blasphemer of Tom Baker*

Kathleen42
07-22-2009, 11:33 PM
But I thought Tom Baker was an unrepentant ham.

Oh he's a complete ham but there is something marvelous about him - especially when delivering lines penned by Douglas Adams.

The stories in the 80's really did suck. I have a real fondness for Sylvester McCoy, though. I think it's shame that he didn't get better story lines.

firedrake
07-22-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm so going to get slammed for this... but.... I prefer the 2005 reboot starting with Christopher Eccleson. It's very accessible to people who haven't watched the older series.

I grew up in the Davidson, Baker (C), and McCoy era and I really like the older shows - I just like what RTD did better.

I'd start with the new and maybe pick up a few classic story arcs along the way.

Eccleston was fantastic. I was so surprised to see an actor of his calibre on DW, it was a real coup (I say that but I notice, from trailers for the new GI Joe movie, that CE is in it :Wha:)

*plots unspecified pranks for the Ms. fire, blasphemer of Tom Baker*

Please ... no .... not the ....... spatula. *quivers*

Calla Lily
07-22-2009, 11:37 PM
Eccleston was fantastic. I was so surprised to see an actor of his calibre on DW, it was a real coup (I say that but I notice, from trailers for the new GI Joe movie, that CE is in it :Wha:)

Everyone's got bills to pay, I suppose.

Please ... no .... not the ....... spatula. *quivers*

Mwhahahaha!

Kathleen42
07-22-2009, 11:38 PM
I know! I sat in the theatre muttering, "You left Doctor Who because you didn't want to be typecast and you agreed to star in THIS?!?!?"

Forbidden Snowflake
07-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Thank you people.

So, I start with the 2005 one, I'll give it a shot. You all made me really curious!

Tasmin21
07-23-2009, 12:25 AM
Just as a point of random trivia...

Did I mention that I have a t-shirt that says "Captain Jack Harkness has never slept here" ?

Forbidden Snowflake
07-23-2009, 03:25 AM
I've just watched the first two episodes from the Doctor Who 2005 series... wow, this is crazy stuff. I think I'm falling in love...

Calla Lily
07-23-2009, 03:43 AM
Forbidden Snowflake, you are now part of the Collective. :)

Tas, LOL!

BigWords
07-23-2009, 04:35 AM
You're not part of the Collective until you have the tattoo. :D

Forbidden Snowflake
07-23-2009, 04:40 AM
Now, I'm scared.

Calla Lily
07-23-2009, 04:50 AM
You're not part of the Collective until you have the tattoo. :D

Or have knitted the official 9-foot-long Tom Baker scarf. (I've knitted two. :D)

trocadero
07-23-2009, 05:41 AM
I think Eccleston did DW for more than the money. DW is a British treasure, and I think the Brits are very fond of it. But then again, I might be biased about it:) I'm not British BTW - I'm Australian. My son and I discovered the 2005 DW about six months ago and watched it all online. There's another spin-off for kids called The Sarah Jane Adventures (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sja/), but it's really hard to find online.
I couldn't stand Rose by the end of her stint, but LOVED Donna. Catherine Tate is fantastic. Not sure about the new doctor....

BigWords
07-23-2009, 06:01 AM
Not sure about the new doctor....

Too young, too handsome and too inexperienced. He's going to be the youngest Doctor to date, and he doesn't look right for the part.

Having said all that, in a couple of years time I'll probably be saying how good he is as the Doctor. Everyone has brought something new to the character, so it'll be interesting to see how he copes.

firedrake
07-23-2009, 06:03 AM
Too young, too handsome and too inexperienced. He's going to be the youngest Doctor to date, and he doesn't look right for the part.

Having said all that, in a couple of years time I'll probably be saying how good he is as the Doctor. Everyone has brought something new to the character, so it'll be interesting to see how he copes.

There were a few people saying the same thing about DT when he was signed up. I saw a story online, some pictures from the set, Riversong is back :Wha:

I'm looking forward to the new Doctor (she said, gamely), but it won't stop me crying my eyes out when David Tennant leaves.

trocadero
07-23-2009, 06:17 AM
I'm looking forward to the new Doctor (she said, gamely), but it won't stop me crying my eyes out when David Tennant leaves.

Me too. His mischievous smile... his twinkling eyes... He's "fantastic!"

Although I did wish he'd grab someone and kiss them passionately and really get emotionally involved. That whole sending his other half off with Rose wasn't enough for me. I KNOW that that goes against the whole Doctor Who premise, but I still wish... sigh. Pathetic, I know.

BigWords
07-23-2009, 06:19 AM
David Tennant, unlike the new Doctor, already had a fair bit of experience as an actor when he stepped into the role. As far as I can tell the new guy (and I've forgotten his name already - sorry) has only appeared in a couple of episodes here and there in different things... None of which matters if he is any good. *fingers crossed*

Calla Lily
07-23-2009, 06:19 AM
It really does go against the whole Doctor premise. I liked the Rose-romance subplot, but, well, it's not The Doctor. Then again, things change.

Calla Lily
07-23-2009, 06:20 AM
fire, I was just about to PM you asking what you thought of Day 3, but I realized it's only 7:20 pm where you live.

Kathleen42
07-23-2009, 06:39 AM
I think Eccleston did DW for more than the money.

I think the money comment was in reference to the fact that CE is in GI Joe ;)

trocadero
07-23-2009, 06:47 AM
Gotcha, Kathleen.

Why do you think the recent DW's are young and handsome? When I was a kid, they were all so old, there was no question of romantic involvement between DW and companion.

I suggest a middle-aged woman as Dr Who's companion. I'll do it. And that's my final offer.

firedrake
07-23-2009, 07:32 AM
All I can say about tonight's episode is

Oh.My.God. :Wha:

Kathleen42
07-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Why do you think the recent DW's are young and handsome? When I was a kid, they were all so old, there was no question of romantic involvement between DW and companion.

I think it's a sign of the times. I think RTD wanted romantic tension in the show and that's just easier with a Tennant than a McCoy.

I didn't mind it so much with Rose because she was the first companion the Doctor picked up after the time war and he was so terribly broken. I think it's understandable that he would latch.

That being said, one of the things that I loved about Series Four was the relationship between the Doctor and Donna. They were mates. She wasn't all starry eyed and he wasn't all puppy dog.

trocadero
07-23-2009, 02:22 PM
I absolutely agree Kathleen. The Doctor and Donna were brilliant. Her character was lovely. I did feel angry though, when the Dr took all her memories away. Sometimes I think his solutions are worse than the problem... like when he stored that woman in a picture frame (the actress was Moaning Myrtle in HP), or sent Kylie Mynogue endlessly around the universe as a wisp.

Looking forward to hearing people's reactions to Day 3 of Children of Earth. They're all exhausting.

Kathleen42
07-23-2009, 02:27 PM
I absolutely agree Kathleen. The Doctor and Donna were brilliant. Her character was lovely. I did feel angry though, when the Dr took all her memories away. Sometimes I think his solutions are worse than the problem... like when he stored that woman in a picture frame (the actress was Moaning Myrtle in HP), or sent Kylie Mynogue endlessly around the universe as a wisp.

I didn't have a problem with what he did to Donna but the Doctor has a selfish side and a bit of a God complex. Look at what he did to poor River.

RTD's Doctors have been on the warm and cuddly side 9unlike, say, my beloved Seven) so it's sometimes a bit shocking when they do things that seem... well... bad.

trocadero
07-23-2009, 02:50 PM
I hope they give us the River story at some stage. That was quite a shock.

Calla Lily
07-23-2009, 03:48 PM
I didn't like Donna, but one of the best character bits was in an ep with Martha Jones. The one where those short no-neck aliens wanted to take over the world. Should remember the species name, but can't, argh. At the end, Martha gives the Doctor a hug, and Donna whacks him on the arm. Perfect.

fire!!! What, particularly, made you go :Wha:?

Kathleen42
07-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Sontarans.

I really need to get a life.

Calla Lily
07-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks! No, I'm the one who needs to do some memory exercises. :D

Kathleen42
07-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks! No, I'm the one who needs to do some memory exercises. :D

I'm just excessively geeky. I belong to a weekly book club where you just choose a book you feel like talking about each week and I think I'm going to bring Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and talk about how Douglas Adams lifted parts of it from Shada (a four part storyline he wrote fro Tom Baker's Doctor but which didn't get completed)

firedrake
07-23-2009, 05:24 PM
I hope they give us the River story at some stage. That was quite a shock.

Photos online of Alex Kingston with Matthew Smith on the set of the new Doctor Who.

I didn't like Donna, but one of the best character bits was in an ep with Martha Jones. The one where those short no-neck aliens wanted to take over the world. Should remember the species name, but can't, argh. At the end, Martha gives the Doctor a hug, and Donna whacks him on the arm. Perfect.

fire!!! What, particularly, made you go :Wha:?

I loved Donna, I had my doubts after seeing Runaway Bride, but she was brilliant. As Kathleen says, no gooey eyes or lovelorn sighs.
That's one of the things I really like about the RTD Doctor, the dark side. He's seen and been through so much, his world was destroyed, he has to have companions to remind him of his humanity. I loved that little speech Riversong gave about him...how he can turn away armies with a single, terrible glance.

Hmmm, the vomiting aliens, the very calm, matter-of-fact way that Jack said the children were a 'gift' and the aliens wanting 10% of the earth's children. It was a real wham, bam thank you 'mam ending.

Tasmin21
07-23-2009, 05:42 PM
That was the thing that hit me about that episode too, Fire. The very innocent, nonchalant way Jack said that one sentence. Was creepy.

Calla Lily
07-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Did the camerman go into the glass tank?

firedrake
07-23-2009, 05:48 PM
That was the thing that hit me about that episode too, Fire. The very innocent, nonchalant way Jack said that one sentence. Was creepy.

Agreed, and the look in his eye. I can't put my finger on it but it was creepy.

Did the camerman go into the glass tank?

Nope.
I really, really hope that nasty assassin woman gets hers.

Calla Lily
07-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Oh. I thought that happened on Day 3.

Um.

Be prepared.

Calla Lily
07-24-2009, 06:33 AM
fire?

firedrake
07-24-2009, 06:43 AM
fire?

recorded it, watching now...

Jesus....that poor kid.

WOW....just ... wow. :Wha:

Susan Gable
07-24-2009, 04:55 PM
recorded it, watching now...

Jesus....that poor kid.

What, precisely, is that thing doing with the kid? Using it as some kind of symbiot?

I felt like I didn't get a good enough look. Maybe cause I kept closing my eyes in case it was too creepy. <G>

I haven't watched any other Torchwood, and I don't know the characters's origins. Is this somehow connected with Dr. Who? (Haven't watched that, either.) I also missed the first episode of this mini-series.

But this one is keeping my interest. :) So I may have to explore some of the others.

Susan G.

Calla Lily
07-24-2009, 05:03 PM
What, precisely, is that thing doing with the kid? Using it as some kind of symbiot?

I felt like I didn't get a good enough look. Maybe cause I kept closing my eyes in case it was too creepy. <G>

I haven't watched any other Torchwood, and I don't know the characters's origins. Is this somehow connected with Dr. Who? (Haven't watched that, either.) I also missed the first episode of this mini-series.

But this one is keeping my interest. :) So I may have to explore some of the others.

Susan G.

Susan, they'll explain tonight what they're doing with the kids. And trust me, they'll keep showing the kid in the cell over and over and over until you both see more details and imagine even worse details, depending on how warped a mind you have.

Torchwood is a spin-off of Doctor Who. Captain Jack was in a few eps in the Christopher Eccelston/Billie Piper first season, and a few more in The Tennant/Freema Ageyman season. When they created Torchwood, they added the rest of the characters and pulled the backstory from DW eps.

BenPanced
07-24-2009, 05:03 PM
DOCTOR WHO = TORCHWOOD

Calla Lily
07-24-2009, 05:05 PM
DOCTOR WHO = TORCHWOOD

IIRC, "Torchwood" was the anagram the producers used while filming the Eccleston re-start, to keep things under wraps.

Susan Gable
07-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Susan, they'll explain tonight what they're doing with the kids. And trust me, they'll keep showing the kid in the cell over and over and over until you both see more details and imagine even worse details, depending on how warped a mind you have.

Ummmm...I'm a writer. I have quite the imagination. Sounds like I'll be watching through my fingers again. <G>

Thanks!

Susan G.

Tasmin21
07-24-2009, 06:02 PM
See, the kid in the cell bit didn't bother me so much, at least as a visual image, because I thought it looked very fake. It was hard to belive that THAT was a real child. A case where I think their special effects department let them down.

Calla Lily
07-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Ah. My sick, twisted, horror-writer imagination filled way, way, too many possibilities about the children. Esp when they started to mention how only pre-pubescent children would do.

*runs for brain bleach*

firedrake
07-24-2009, 06:08 PM
See, the kid in the cell bit didn't bother me so much, at least as a visual image, because I thought it looked very fake. It was hard to belive that THAT was a real child. A case where I think their special effects department let them down.

Yes, as a special effect it wasn't that great but, like Lily, my imagination was in overdrive...thinking about those poor orphans being told they were going on a great adventure and then ending up being wired into a large, vomiting alien.

I've been on the BBCA Discussion Boards, it's full of threads full of righteous indignation about Ianto being offed. There are a lot of people over there who, for some reason, think Torchwood is a romance, not a sci-fi Drama.

One note of interest. Monday night's episode pulled in 1.4 million viewers, not bad considering the competition in terms of number of channels.

BenPanced
07-24-2009, 06:16 PM
I've been on the BBCA Discussion Boards, it's full of threads full of righteous indignation about Ianto being offed. There are a lot of people over there who, for some reason, think Torchwood is a romance, not a sci-fi Drama.
Sounds like some 'shippers were disappointed.

Tasmin21
07-24-2009, 06:25 PM
What, you haven't seen the www.saveiantojones.com website? :rolleyes:

I mean, yeah, I bawled like a baby when I saw it. Have teared up at every single subsequent viewing. I LIKED Ianto. A lot. I liked him and Jack together. But still, they've always said that Torchwood members rarely hit 30. It's a given that every (fictional) person knew their career made them short-timers. I think it kept the reality of the show.

firedrake
07-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Sounds like some 'shippers were disappointed.

Ha! 'disappointed' doesn't quite cut it. Russell T. Davies probably needs to hire a bodyguard.

What, you haven't seen the www.saveiantojones.com (http://www.saveiantojones.com) website? :rolleyes:

I mean, yeah, I bawled like a baby when I saw it. Have teared up at every single subsequent viewing. I LIKED Ianto. A lot. I liked him and Jack together. But still, they've always said that Torchwood members rarely hit 30. It's a given that every (fictional) person knew their career made them short-timers. I think it kept the reality of the show.

I wept a bit, my son was sobbing his little heart out.
Ianto had some terrific one-liners throughout all three series.
I haven't looked at the website yet. It would probably piss me off.

Tasmin21
07-24-2009, 06:35 PM
The prominent theme on Twitter last night was, "Hey, if anyone sees RTD at Comic-con, punch him in the face for me!"

firedrake
07-24-2009, 06:39 PM
The prominent theme on Twitter last night was, "Hey, if anyone sees RTD at Comic-con, punch him in the face for me!"

Oh, ffs! I'd be wanting to give him a big hug if I saw him.

One thing that has tickled me about CoE is the aerial shot of the Home Office complex...I've been wondering what time of day they shot it, because there's only about 3 cars on the roundabout. Usually that road is absolutely packed.

BenPanced
07-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Or the ones complaining it should be renamed The Jack & Gwen Show. Man. Not even people who watch soap operas get this indignant when a character on a TV show cacks it.

Tasmin21
07-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Or the ones complaining it should be renamed The Jack & Gwen Show. Man. Not even people who watch soap operas get this indignant when a character on a TV show cacks it.

In all fairness, if they do bring it back for a 4th series, they're gonna have to come up with a pretty compelling team for me to want to watch. Gwen just doesn't do it for me.

firedrake
07-25-2009, 07:31 AM
I'm.....um......stunned.

Tasmin21
07-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Give it about two weeks. You'll be able to wrap your mind around it after about that length of time.

firedrake
07-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Give it about two weeks. You'll be able to wrap your mind around it after about that length of time.

I think RTD is a genius and he's got some guts.

mscelina
07-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Just popping in to say that CoE was amazing. Amazing. And yes--balls of steel. I'm usually not that hip on sci fi television series but this one was fabulous. And good God--the choices these people had to make. wow.

Very, very impressed and still a little icked out--which is all to the good.

trocadero
07-25-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm assuming you've now seen them all in the US. If not, don't read this.

Here's my choice for a Season 4 team: Jack, Gwen, Lois and PC Andy. Andy was so endearing in the last episode. I thought that crazy Johnson woman might come over to the good side for a bit, but she's too trigger-happy for my tastes. I'm sorry to see Ianto go, but given Jack's 'universal' appeal and attraction, I think it opens up more plot possibilities to keep him unattached. Jack is delicious and the Jack-joy should be shared around. Did I just say that....

Cassiopeia
07-25-2009, 09:06 AM
Is there going to be a season four? I thought this was the last of it. Please....don't be playing with me now, I gotta know. Is there....do I dare hope it's not over????

Jack! Come back!!!!

trocadero
07-25-2009, 09:35 AM
I don't think anybody's said officially, but RTD has been quoted in lots of places saying that the BBC was waiting to see how the ratings were for CoE and that he has story lines ready to go for a 4th season, if it gets the go-ahead.

I just searched the news and found a nice video piece of the team arriving in Cardiff to launch the DVD (which you can already get online) and their helicopter landed where the hub used to be! The actress who plays Gwen really is pregnant. That seems convenient.... (I'm willing to read anything to anything) There has be a season 4. I suspect there will be riots in the UK if there isn't!

nevada
07-25-2009, 11:55 AM
jack will be on the Doctor Who special, not sure if it's Dark Waters, and then i'm sure they'll bring torchwood back. the ratings were phenomenal, they doubled them from last year on BBC 2 and won every night.

I'm still totally bummed about Ianto. I really liked him and the actor and the Ianto/Jack relation. I knew nobody was safe in an RTD production but omg, I didn't expect Ianto to go.

trocadero
07-25-2009, 11:59 AM
I'd love to know the full story behind Ianto's departure. It must have been the actor's decision, surely. Wouldn't it be interesting if the UK fans impacted on the course of the show?

Susan Gable
07-25-2009, 02:46 PM
I'd love to know the full story behind Ianto's departure. It must have been the actor's decision, surely. Wouldn't it be interesting if the UK fans impacted on the course of the show?

I read an interview yesterday. The actor had nothing to do with it except to take it like...an actor. <G>

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/07/backlash-shmacklash-thats-torchwood-creator-russell-t-davies-reaction-to-the-outcry-over-the-death-of-gareth-david-lloyds.html

I thought there was some good stuff in this series...but I'd have liked to see it be longer so we could get DEEPER into some of it. I thought it was actually a bit shallow in the way it handled some really OMG concepts. (Would you kill your grandson to save the rest of the children? You know, stuff like that.)

But that's probably why a book would be better. <G>

Susan G.

nevada
07-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Susan, in season one Jack gives up a child to fairies in order to save the world so a precedent had been set of him making a decision like that.

trocadero, british tv is like that. they think nothing of killing off major characters. in the US, if a character is killed off, it's usually, mostly, cause the actor wants out for whatever reason. (I imagine if katherine heigle's movie does well, and it should, it was sold out last night when I went, that her character will not come back. if it flops, she'll miraculously survive)

Kathleen42
07-25-2009, 07:00 PM
Children on earth is for sale on iTunes Canada, for those inclined.

firedrake
07-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Apparently, the ratings in the UK were through the roof.

As for US ratings, all I know is that Monday brought in 1.4 million viewers which isn't bad, considering that BBCA is an 'extra' with some cable/satellite providers.

I'd give a good deal to be at ComicCon tomorrow for the Torchwood Panel.:D

Nevada is absolutely right about British programmes having no qualms about killing off major characters. There are very few programmes over there that run for years and years, with a few notable exceptions. It was one thing I, sometimes, found frustrating but the pay-off was some excellent programming.

Having had a night to think about it, I have to say that it was one of the best dramas I have ever seen. Beautifully written and acted, the background music really added to some of the scenes. Honestly, any programme that can make a cynical old bird like me cry more than once must be doing something right.

nevada
07-25-2009, 07:57 PM
When I read the RTD interview Susan posted (great interview) I did a little silent squee because he said he loves long-form. I really would like to see season 4 continue the longer stories that go over 3 or 4 or 5 episodes. I'm thinking about season one when Jack meets the real Captain Jack Harkness and how even more heartwrenching that could have been had it been a three episoder.

Cassiopeia
07-25-2009, 08:10 PM
In all three seasons previous to this, I never saw the sort of intense and passionate writing as I did in these five episodes of the miniseries. I hope they continue to do it. It moved right to the top of my must by dvd list.

Shadow_Ferret
07-25-2009, 08:19 PM
This is the first I heard of Torchwood.

Nakhlasmoke
07-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I don't get people bitching about Ianto's death.

It was horrible, i kept staring at the screen going no no no, but, it made perfect sense to the plot.

Torchwood 3 def the best of the seasons so far.

The guy who played Frobisher was brilliant, spot on.

mscelina
07-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Yep, and Frobisher had one of the best dramatic moments and decisions when he went home to his wife and kids after requisition 31.

Makes you wonder if you'd be strong enough to do the same thing.

*SPOILERS*

I'd shoot my kids to keep them from being drugs for aliens. what a great moment that was.

I'm thinking Lois will definitely be part of Torchwood, and what about *oh crap; forgot her name* Frobisher's main assistant? The one who stole the contacts to blackmail the prime minister with? And definitely Andy. He was cute when he ripped off his police gear to go jump into the riots. As far as Johnson goes, I'm thinking Torchwood needs a slightly gung-ho, trigger-happy member whose sole purpose is to protect the state. it was quite telling that at the end she was working to protect the state even from itself. Brilliant.

Nakhlasmoke
07-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Yep, and Frobisher had one of the best dramatic moments and decisions when he went home to his wife and kids after requisition 31.

Makes you wonder if you'd be strong enough to do the same thing.

*SPOILERS*

I'd shoot my kids to keep them from being drugs for aliens. what a great moment that was.

Yep. Yep. Yep.

Lady Cat
07-25-2009, 09:32 PM
If anyone missed any of the episodes, I found them here:

http://watch.spacecast.com/#clip195366

This is Canada's Space Channel website.

Sage
07-25-2009, 09:36 PM
And yet how even more tragic was Frobisher's decision, considering that in the end it was unnecessary.

There was definitely some very powerful moments throughout that finale (and the rest of the miniseries too). Up until now, I've been disappointed with the Torchwood finales, but this one definitely exceeded expectations.

Cassiopeia
07-25-2009, 10:38 PM
I wasn't bothered by Ianto's death. I expected it. Once Owen and Tosh were killed in the season finale last season, I realized how true to life they will take this. I thought this five series was one of the poignant of SciFi shows I've yet to see. Their messages were clear, the writing and acting brilliant.

My only moment when I cried was when Gwen was telling Jack he couldn't run and he said, watch me. I cried. It was so real.

As for Frobisher, I was all for him. He did the right thing for his children and family. He had no idea that Torchwood could win in the end. I'd rather end my children's lives than see them taken and put into slavery like that.

Tasmin21
07-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Rumors are leaking out of Comic-Con that Torchwood has been picked up for a fourth season. Haven't seen it confirmed by anywhere official yet, but there might be more by the end of the day.

firedrake
07-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Rumors are leaking out of Comic-Con that Torchwood has been picked up for a fourth season. Haven't seen it confirmed by anywhere official yet, but there might be more by the end of the day.

The Torchwood Panel is at 10.30 (Pacific Time), I think.
Pound to a penny, if there's an announcement, it will be during that session.

Damn, I wished I'd gone.

Tasmin21
07-26-2009, 07:35 PM
For amusement... See if you can find the video from Comic-Con of John Barrowman and David Tennant kissing. ;) It's hilarious.

trocadero
07-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Announcement that it's been picked up for a fourth season: http://www.comicmix.com/news/2009/07/25/exclusive-torchwood-picked-up-for-another-season-by-bbc/

firedrake
07-26-2009, 07:53 PM
For amusement... See if you can find the video from Comic-Con of John Barrowman and David Tennant kissing. ;) It's hilarious.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That's brilliant!

Announcement that it's been picked up for a fourth season: http://www.comicmix.com/news/2009/07/25/exclusive-torchwood-picked-up-for-another-season-by-bbc/

Yessssssssssss!!!!:hooray:

Tasmin21
07-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Found the video for you. ;)

Linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfq5UAk1Bxc)

trocadero
07-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Over in the Torchwood Forum they're saying they're not sure of the reliability of the source in my above email, but that a BBC spokesperson was quoted in the Radio Times as saying:

A spokeswoman for the show says: "We know there is a huge public clamour for the return of the Torchwood team. Discussion is under way about their future" And despite what Jack Harkness said on the screen, John Barrowman last week reiterated his desire to continue in the role.

So people are quoting BBC staff, but nothing's been said officially, it seems.

Evaine
07-27-2009, 11:22 PM
The actor who played Ianto is also the patron of the Lluest Horse and Pony Trust, a small horse rescue charity in West Wales. I follow their blog, Mountains and Muckheaps, and they happened to mention that he visited recently.

ALLWritety
08-13-2009, 02:20 AM
Hi

I watched CoE which was my first torchwood. I loved it.

However I am (Well maybe later we will see!) disappointed. I thought that it was an original idea from Russel, John & James the 3 writers of CoE. Then I saw a movie listing for a movie to be shown in the UK on Friday 14th/Sat 15th Aug on ITV1 at 1:10am

Here's what is says:

Alien Siege
2005 TV movie:

Aliens arrive on Earth in need of human blood to kill off a virus which is threatening to wipe out their race. The governments of the world have kindly allowed them a lottery of 8 million people - otherwise it's bye-bye humanity. Things get personal for scientist Brad Johnson when his daughter is picked for the sarificial lottery.

Hmm! Sounds alot like CoE except the kids were used as a drug. RTD i'm sure did a better verison with Jack and crew. I shall watch it just to see & compare.

Kev

ALLWritety
08-13-2009, 02:25 AM
I guess there is nothing new under the sun!

Kev

Calla Lily
08-13-2009, 03:37 AM
Hey, Kev! Great to see you around these parts again!

Fear not--Alien Siege is a "made-for-the-SciFi-channel" movie. IOW, utter dreck. As much as memories of CoE still make me reach for the brain bleach, RTD is an absolutely brilliant writer and in an entirely different creative universe from sny SF-channel offering.

MsGneiss
08-14-2009, 07:08 PM
I am just making my way through the second season of Torchwood, and I think it's brilliant! So glad there's a third season, I'll have to get my hands on that.

Tasmin21
01-20-2010, 07:49 PM
So... Has everyone heard that Fox is possibly developing an American version of Torchwood (http://www.tvshark.com/read/?art=arc4659)?

This makes me weep on so many levels.

firedrake
01-20-2010, 07:53 PM
So... Has everyone heard that Fox is possibly developing an American version of Torchwood (http://www.tvshark.com/read/?art=arc4659)?

This makes me weep on so many levels.

I dunno, Tas.
There was an article in the Guardian about it yesterday. Bear in mind that Russell T Davies is now US based and would be writing it.
Given how 'Children of Earth' ended with all that fragmentation, it's quite possible that it could work.
My only concern is that Fox would quash Captain Jack's sexuality.

Calla Lily
01-20-2010, 08:13 PM
American TV will eviscerate Torchwood. The only way they could stay true to Jack is if Showtime/HBO/Starz would do it.

firedrake
01-20-2010, 08:16 PM
American TV will eviscerate Torchwood. The only way they could stay true to Jack is if Showtime/HBO/Starz would do it.

Or BBC America.

Torchwood is their top-rated show. They've got some $$$ given that they're part of the Discovery network. They've thrown some money at the new Primeval series so it's possible that they could do it. I hope so.

Calla Lily
01-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Does BBCA create its own shows? I thought they just imported the best.

firedrake
01-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Does BBCA create its own shows? I thought they just imported the best.

Well I know they're in collaboration with ITV and a German network to revive Primeval, which should be back in 2011. They've thrown some money into the pot.

Calla Lily
01-20-2010, 08:46 PM
New cast? (I hope not.)

firedrake
01-20-2010, 08:48 PM
New cast? (I hope not.)

Same cast.

Tasmin21
01-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Honestly, I don't think Torchwood would have the same flavor without setting it in Cardiff. You transplant it over here, and it's just Fringe or X-files. *shrug*

I want to hear some beautiful Welsh vowels, dammit!

firedrake
01-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Honestly, I don't think Torchwood would have the same flavor without setting it in Cardiff. You transplant it over here, and it's just Fringe or X-files. *shrug*

I want to hear some beautiful Welsh vowels, dammit!

I agree about the Cardiff setting and the lovely Welsh accents. My other worry is that the humor wouldn't be appreciated. There's been some great lines in the past. The one that springs to mind is about measuring the velocity of a flying kebab. :D

Calla Lily
02-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Would any Torchwood-philes be willing to help me with a very, very obscure question? Kind of an odd situation with an acquaintance, so if anyone is, pls PM me. Thanks!

Kitty Pryde
02-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Um, it's only kind of related, because I can't be the only one in this thread with a John Barrowman obsession...John Barrowman is going to be in five episodes of Desperate Housewives this Spring, playing a villain! Squee! http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/01/30/captain-jack-coming-to-wisteria-lane/?icid=main|main|dl2|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tvsquad .com%2F2010%2F01%2F30%2Fcaptain-jack-coming-to-wisteria-lane%2F I suspect (SPOILER FOR PREVIOUS EPISODES IS COMING) he's going to be the head of the eco-terrorist organization that the new housewife used to belong to.

Tasmin21
06-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Starz picks up Torchwood (http://www.ugo.com/tv/new-episodes-of-torchwood-are-seeing-starz-in-2011)

RoseColoredSkies
06-08-2010, 06:19 AM
So happy about this. I want John Barrowman back on my screen ASAP! and not in the DVD way. I hope they bring Martha and Mickey and John back to join Torchwood. Jack and Gwen can't do it on their own.

firedrake
06-08-2010, 06:22 AM
Not that I'll be living in the US when it airs. But does that mean it airs on Starz first?
That would piss me off because I can't afford to pay extra to watch it. I think that sucks, mightily.

Tasmin21
06-08-2010, 07:21 AM
One of the things I read said that it would air on Starz here, and on BBC One in the UK. Dunno about timing, though.

Grrarrgh
06-20-2010, 08:28 AM
OK - I haven't read through this entire thread because I've just started watching Torchwood and I don't want any spoilers. I just watched the 4th episode. Are there only 3 seasons of the show? 2 seasons and then this Children of Earth thing? Is that a movie, or just a short season? Is it over after that? I looked up a list of episodes, and it had 13 eps listed for each of the first 2 seasons, just 4 or 5 COE eps listed for season 3.

Tasmin21
06-20-2010, 08:43 AM
There are two 13-episode seasons, and then Children of Earth which is essentially a 5-part mini series. Just recently, it was announced that there will be a 4th season but that it probably won't air until sometime in 2011.

RoseColoredSkies
06-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Yeah, series 4 is supposed air on Starz and BBC1 in summer 2011. Jack and Gwen are in iit and we don't know about the rest of the cast, yet. Given that it's going to be on cable, we'll get the same wonderful Jack.

Cranky
06-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Dunno if anyone's seen this yet, but here (http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2011/06/an-11-minute-preview-of-torchwood-miracle-day/), have a gander. :D

firedrake
06-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Sing 'hallelujah' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/2011/wk28/thu.shtml#thu_torchwood) if you're in the UK.

:hooray::hooray::hooray:

akaria
06-30-2011, 09:25 AM
I just joined the Torchwood lovefest this week. Devoured all of season one. Very glad to see there's more of Captain Jack on the way.

I'm hoping Starz will offer Torchwood through Netflix like they did with Spartacus. Xbox don't fail me now!

Tasmin21
06-30-2011, 05:12 PM
It's my understanding that Torchwood WILL be available through Netflix, but that they're running a 90-day delay on all Starz programming (unlike Spartacus, which went live next-day)

Alice Grace
06-30-2011, 08:13 PM
A forth season of Torchwood? Airing this summer? I simply have to keep myself better informed in the future. How could I have missed this?

I knew there was a reason to live.... :)

Little Ming
07-01-2011, 12:26 AM
Sing 'hallelujah' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/2011/wk28/thu.shtml#thu_torchwood) if you're in the UK.

:hooray::hooray::hooray:

What about the rest of us? :cry:

Tasmin21
07-01-2011, 03:06 AM
Dunno if anyone's seen this yet, but here (http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2011/06/an-11-minute-preview-of-torchwood-miracle-day/), have a gander. :D

*wail* Oh how I wish I had Starz.

Alice Grace
07-19-2011, 08:07 PM
I am a bit confused about the new Torchwood season. Is this the American version or the British? From what I understood Jack and Gwen were not suppose to be in the American version. But there are clearly a majority of American actors.