Registered
Reaction score
Films you have watched and expected to hate, but really loved...:hooray:

....and films everyone has raved about but you've actually hated...:rant:

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Hm, I think the most recent movie that surprised me was Iron Man. I expected to like the movie, and I DID like the movie, but I hear a lot of people talking about it after the fact like it was the greatest movie ever. I just didn't get that vibe from it at all. For example, when people say "Star Trek" is this year's "Iron Man" - that makes absolutely no sense to me, because I didn't find it all that special.

A movie I expected to hate ... I saw FIRED UP! in theaters because of a work-related thing. I was pleasantly surprised that it was on occasion funny and clever and did not, in fact, make me want to gouge my eyes out. Again, not best movie ever but I'm not upset I spent an hour and a half on it, especially since I didn't pay for it.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I didn't hate these movies -- actually I liked them -- but I was underwhelmed, and didn't think they were the best things ever like some people said: Watchmen, The Dark Knight, Wolverine.

I expected to find Race to Witch Mountain at least enjoyable, but I was really annoyed and disappointed by it. Same with Inkheart.

I expected to hate Knowing because it was Nicolas Cage's movie... but I find myself thoroughly enjoy it.

I expected to love Revolutionary Road but found it ho-hum.

I expected to be bored by The Reader, but I was very intrigued, especially by Kate Winslet's performance.

I expected to like The Boy in Striped Pajamas but was very disappointed by how manipulative and annoying it was.

nahalwi

Registered
Reaction score
I expected to just enjoy Star Trek, but ended up loving more than most movies I have in a long time!

I expected to love Doomsday (cause I love that sort of stuff) but finished it up just thinking 'eh'.

I expected to hate 27 dresses even more because of the pink dvd case that they threw it in to draw girly attention. I ended up really liking it.

I expected 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' would actually be a remake of the original story and purpose of the original story. I was sorely mistaken :(

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was certain I would hate that cheerleader movie 'Bring It On' (and it's possible that my friends had to physically restrain me through the first scene), but I was shocked to discover that it was actually clever and funny.

I expected to like Forrest Gump after all the hype (and after enjoying the Gump novels), but I thought it was awful and trite and I couldn't finish it.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I expected Adventureland to be gross-out funny like Superbad, but I ended up liking it for a totally different reason.

I expected to like The Mystery of Pittsburgh because it's Chabon and I loved Wonder Boys. It was a disaster -- one of the worse movies of the year.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I expected to like The Mystery of Pittsburgh because it's Chabon and I loved Wonder Boys. It was a disaster -- one of the worse movies of the year.

Didn't they dump an entire character? I saw the trailer and was confused.

I thought Observe and Report was going to be a little Sarah Marshall/bromantic funny. NO. Terrible.

Also thought The Hangover was going to be ridiculous and dull, but I really enjoyed that one, too.

Mithra

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Husband and daughter trying to get me to see Star Trek....not sure...does that mean I'm gonna luv it?

Wanted to like Transformers but was kinda overwhelmed and underwhelmed at the same time (?)

Disappointed by Pirates...etc At Worlds End - enjoyed the others, still haven't seen the end of this one...

Wanted to enjoy Sixth Sense but got the twist right at the beginning. I do that too often. Perhaps this is peculiar to writers?

I expected to hate Chapter 27 but I really, well, enjoyed is not quite the right word, but Mr Leto done good (IMO,FWTW).

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
I expected the movie Crank to totally suck, and only went because my roommates and I at the time were bored to death.

It turns out that it was probably the best pure action movie that I'd seen in quite a while, and I thought it had some genuinely hilarious parts.

roonil_wazlib

Smile.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
earlymorningfog.tumblr.com
I never watch movies that I expect to hate. Does that make me a snob? ;)

I expected to get a few chuckles out of South Park: Longer, Bigger, etc etc Whatever, but after five minutes it was shut off and the next day I'd shipped it off to my uncle.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Thought I would hate Knocked Up....figured it was just some stupid, gross-funny boy movie. Actually thought it was hilarious.

Thought I would love There's Something About Mary because everyone raved about it, but hated it.

When I first saw previews for I Am Legend, I thought it would be great....vampires, Will Smith, a German Shepherd....some of the favorite things. Read the book. Hated the book, thought I would then hate the movie. But they revamped it (pun intended), put in lots of action, updated the storyline, and I loved the movie more than I originally thought I would.

Loved the first Pirates of the Caribbean, was so disappointed in the following ones.

Was underwhelmed by Transformers (my husband can't get enough of the movie).

Picked up Lone Star State of Mind years ago, thought it sounded stupid, but I had a huge crush on Joshua Jackson. Was more than pleasantly surprised. It is one of my fave movies, it is absolutely hilarious. Bought it the next day.