We're vacationing in Hilton Head, South Carolina and . . .

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I'm wondering if anyone can suggest that one thing we just gotta do while we're here.

My wife decided we needed a vacation and wanted to go someplace warm. This is also our two-month-old daughter's first vacation, so it had to be someplace special. Wife decided on Hilton Head, and we found a condo rental (through vrbo.com) for $99 a night, right on the beach. Well, it's not on the beach, like in Two and Half Men, but our living room window overlooks the ocean and beach, which are about a two-minute walk. It's really nice and the condo's awesome.

We got here on Sunday and of course today it rained half the day. So far, we've gone to the beach and swam in the ocean. Our baby seemed to like it, experiences she'll never forget, right?!

Anyway, there's a lighthouse here, a couple of museums, some shopping, some historic places. Overall, Hilton Head is gorgeous.

I phoned my editor at my publisher today from the beach and he invited me to Charleston, SC on our way out to visit the publishing office. We may do that; it's an hour and half drive north, and we'd have to work it into our drive-home schedule.

We are here until Thursday. Can anyone suggest something? We're sightseeing Tuesday.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I always love the cruises around the islands - a sunset cruise, animal watching cruises, etc. Check out the other barrier islands, too. Of course, the eating is great! I forget whether SC's barrier islands have wild horses like NC and Georgia, but they are a must-see, IMHO.

Charleston is a must-do. Shopping, architecture walks, food, gardens. Depending on whether you like to just veg at the beach or not, you might add more tme in Charleston.

And obviously there's golfing ;)

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
I was going to suggest Charleston as well. Walk along the Battery and take a look at those old houses and think of the history they've seen. Take one of the tour boats over to Fort Sumter--maybe see a dolphin in the water on the way. Visit the Market downtown--pick up a sweetgrass basket from ladies who weave baskets just like their mothers and grandmothers did. Eat at Hyman's and Shucks. Buy homemade fudge at one of the candy stores. Browse the antique stores. Show the baby the fountain at the waterfront. Rock the afternoon away in one of the swings there as you look across to Sullivan's island. Take a horsedrawn carriage tour. Visit the aquarium. Wait! You're gonna need to extend your vacation.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I used to live in South Carolina. :)

If you want good local food, try Folly Beach near Charleston. There's a good one on the pier, and you can watch the guys fishing, they mostly catch sharks. :) If you head north on that island, there's a lighthouse to check out there (if you go to see it, don't get in the water along that beach, bad rip tides). You'll also see the leftovers from Hurricane Andrew. Old houses torn apart and all that. The Lost Dog on that island is my favorite place for breakfast. The owner is super nice. The Cappuccino Chocolate muffins are the best. If you're there on a Tuesday, they have live bluegrass music inside the Holiday Inn's bar and lounge.

The Crab Shacks are another local favorite, there's one on Folly and I think they built a new one in Charleston. There's Bubba Gump shrimp in Charleston as well. Also, there's a California Dreamin' right on the river that my parents love.

Rainbow Row houses are interesting to look at. One of my friends actually redid the paint on one of those old homes. Best job he ever did. :) The ghost walks they have are fantastic. If you get to pick a guide, ask for George, if he's still there. The fudge thing AmyDoodle mentioned is a must. The Key Lime pie fudge is great. Cafe Cafe off of I think King? Somewhere off Market street has some of the best lunch food.

My aunt used to live on Hilton Head. There's golf courses and tennis courses in everyone's back yard. There's a place called Adventure Cove that's fun for kids and adults. Look for Drifter and Gypsy Excursions. They sail out to where the dolphins are, and do a tour thing. You might get to throw a shrimp net.

If you have time and want to head to the mouth of the river along the island, toward calmer water, take some thin twine, a fishing hook, and a couple packs of chicken legs, or whatever is on sale at the market. Tie twine to the fishing hook, hook a chicken part and hold on to the other end of the string and toss in the chicken into the water. Pull it back slow, and you should get some great crabs. If you want to eat them, bring a bucket to take them back with you. Or throw them back, but it's great for an afternoon of fun.

Oh, and don't forget the oysters. You have to try them. Local custom.

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Button, we've been to lots of the same places! Folly Beach is terrific. I'm in Spartanburg, 3 hours from Charleston, but I'd move there in a second if somebody would pay for it! (Rich benefactors apply now.) Have you ever been to Fourth of July at the waterfront and watched the fireworks over the water? And looked across to Patriot's Point? We forgot to tell Underthecity about the aircraft carrier and submarines there.

And I've eaten that Key Lime Pie fudge. You're right. Absolutely delicious!

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I haven't seen Fourth of July in Charleston, when I was on Folly Beach they had their own fireworks they lit off the pier, in front of the Holiday Inn. I'll have to visit next Fourth and see the ones in Charleston. I bet it gets packed on the Battery if they do it down there.

I haven't been to Patriot's yet. There's SO much to do in Charleston. :) Makes me excited just thinking about it. I live too far away now, though Cajuns here in Louisiana have their own cool stuff.

At least you're not too far from Charleston, AmyDoodle! If you're ever visiting, I demand Cappuccino Chocolate muffins. I've been craving those for a few years now. ;)

shyne

At your service
Registered
Reaction score
Deep sea fishing