PDA

View Full Version : Must See British Movies???

dgiharris
05-12-2009, 01:56 AM
Hi All,

I'm watching T.V. and a promo for 'Love Actually' came on.

I love this movie, it has a certain charm to it. Then that got me thinking about all the great British Movies that I haven't seen. Truth be told, I'm your typical American. Sure, I've seen some Monty Python, and Dr. Who, but other than that, I'm sure I'm missing out on some great british culture.

So, I ask you big brained people. What are you TOP MUST SEE BRITISH MOVIES.

And I'm not talking about an o.k. movie. I'm talking about those movies in which you are a better person for having watched it. One of those movies that give you that warm fuzzy glow (EDIT: or 'wow' feeling) and as you walk out of the theater (or living room) it is as if you are seeing the world through fresh eyes.

So, give me your Top British Movies that meet the above criteria.

Start listing. I want some great British Movies. Be they Romantic Comedies, Action, Comedy, Sci-Fi, I don't care.

Give em to me.

But if you give me any luke warm so-so movies, I will sick Zoombie on you. And once he starts going, you'll wish you were never born. He will talk you into oblivion! And lord help you if he types you. That man was a typewriter in his former life.

Mel...

Millicent M'Lady
05-12-2009, 02:02 AM
It won't give you a warm and fuzzy but Dead Man's Shoes is a little seen and underrated treasure about regret and vengeance. It's a violent one but not overly so and it is brilliantly acted and written.

For the funnies, the best British comedies include (but are not limited to) Withnail and I, The League of Gentlemen (both the series and film are bizarrely brilliant) and Shaun of the Dead. If your sense of humour is as twisted as mine, you'll love these.:D

Zoombie
05-12-2009, 02:06 AM
Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz...pretty much anything with Simon Pegg in them.

nevada
05-12-2009, 02:17 AM
About A Boy, Gosford Park, 28 Days Later, The Descent (get the british or director's cut, the american release was cut short and makes no sense) ; if you can lay your hands on it, the complete series Brideshead Revisited, not the recent movie (or you could just read the book) ;Snatch; Rocknrolla; Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels ( last three are guy ritchie movies); Children of Men; Atonement; My Beautiful Laundrette; The Crying Game; My Left Foot.

You can start with those. lol Some are comedies, some are horrors, some are just beautiful statements of life. If you're into werewolves, I really liked Dog Soldiers as well.

maestrowork
05-12-2009, 02:54 AM
Atonement
the English Patient
Monty Python (the Holy Grail, Life of Brian, etc.)
Lawrence of Arabia
The Full Monty
Shakespeare in Love
Brazil
Billy Eliot
Children of Men
Hot Fuzz

som1luvsmi
05-12-2009, 03:09 AM
The ones above and:

The History Boys
Sense and Sensibility
Spaced(season 1)
Trainspotting
Millions
Son of Rambow
The Full Monty
A Fish Called Wanda
The Remains of the Day
Shadowlands
84 Charing Cross Road

If I think of more, I'll let you know. :)

Kitty Pryde
05-12-2009, 03:11 AM
Rory O'Shea Was Here (aka Inside I'm Dancing) OMG this movie is good. It's Irish technically, but the main cast are scottish and english, and an english prodco made it, so please nobody kill me.
The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain
Cold Comfort Farm OMG pants-peeingly hilarious
Lair of the White Worm--really weird-ass old Hugh Grant movie.
The 2008 BBC Masterpiece Theater version of 'Sense and Sensibility' (I'm slightly biased cause my friend was in it, but it's seriously good, even if you don't like period dramas)
Time Bandits--if you've not seen this yet, go right now and rent it. Go!
28 Days Later--yay zombies!
My Mums Used To Be Men--weird and adorable little BBC documentary. It will change the way you see the world
Kinky Boots- a great big drag queen who just wants some sturdy shoes to dance in. The description sounds stupid but actually this movie is made of pure Awesome. Also it has the sidekick guy from 'Shaun of the Dead'
Spaced-Simon Pegg's TV series about a bunch of doofuses who get stoned all the time and talk about comic books. Brilliant.
Torchwood--best ever tv show. ever ever. ever.
Primeval--it's got some plot holes, but all the dinosaur fighting more than makes up for it.

Ken
05-12-2009, 03:31 AM
"Woman in Green" / 1945
Along with several other Sherlock Holmes flicks staring Basil Rathbone!

Sharonb423
05-12-2009, 03:45 AM
Truly, Madly, Deeply... haven't seen it in a while but pretty sure it's British. GREAT movie...

so DGI - are you going to take us all up on the suggestions, watch every movie and report back? I'd like to hear what you think about them... and in spite of my post it note on the window, reminding me of my daily goal, I'm checking out netflix to see which of these suggestions are available to watch now...

all your fault :-)

Delhomeboy
05-12-2009, 03:46 AM
Don't think anyone's mentioned Death at a Funeral yet...HILARIOUS.

som1luvsmi
05-12-2009, 04:05 AM
Oh!

Bend It Like Beckham
Pride & Prejudice(Colin Firth is the only Darcy worth watching)
Brassed Off
Closer(mixed cast, but I think it takes place in London)
Bridget Jones' Diary
Educating Rita

ad_lucem
05-12-2009, 04:13 AM
Has anyone mentioned Keeping Mum? I loved it, personally. But, I'll watch anything with Maggie Smith. I'll also add Waking Ned Devine and Trainspotting to the list--assuming it fits?

Edit to Add: Keeping Mum probably ranks as an acquired taste. I'm not sure where you would acquire the taste, but it's certainly a must see for anyone with a dark sense of humor.

TheIT
05-12-2009, 04:19 AM
A Fish Called Wanda and Fierce Creatures (especially if you like Monty Python). The section in Fierce Creatures where the zookeeper is trying to justify the new exhibit signs to John Cleese always cracks me up. :D

ad_lucem
05-12-2009, 04:20 AM
It won't give you a warm and fuzzy but Dead Man's Shoes is a little seen and underrated treasure about regret and vengeance. It's a violent one but not overly so and it is brilliantly acted and written.

For the funnies, the best British comedies include (but are not limited to) Withnail and I, The League of Gentlemen (both the series and film are bizarrely brilliant) and Shaun of the Dead. If your sense of humour is as twisted as mine, you'll love these.:D

I assume I'm not alone in being a huge instant fan of the new Star Trek--if only for the casting of Simon Pegg as Scottie...

I liked him in "Hippies", too...in spite of it being a sitcom.

Perks
05-12-2009, 05:15 AM
Nevada mentioned Dog Soldiers which I'll second.

And one of my all time favorites, Severance. I think it's even funnier than Shaun of the Dead while actually managing to be good and scary at the same time.

Of course, those are both horror films and not likely to gild your soul.

Oh, and Layer Cake. Best drug gangland film I've seen. Again, not really personally enriching.

There are lots of great recommendation in here!

Perks
05-12-2009, 05:19 AM
I also really enjoyed the BBC miniseries, The Jury. It's a six-parter and you can get it on Netflix. Really brilliant, I thought.

TerzaRima
05-12-2009, 06:12 AM
Kind Hearts and Coronets.

Alfie--the original with Michael Caine, not the crap remake with Jude Law.

MrWrite
05-12-2009, 06:47 AM
Nobody mentioned Shallow Grave?

And if you like zany comedies I can recommend the Pink Panther films and the Italian Job. (The English version.) They're a bit old now but still fun to watch.

Then of course there's a whole slew of James Bond films to watch. Lots of action and gadgets and explosions and sexy women and stuff! :D

maestrowork
05-12-2009, 06:48 AM
The Queen was really well-down.

SFNative
05-12-2009, 07:05 AM
Two from the 80s, both by the same director:

Gregory's Girl
Local Hero

When asked about my favorites, I list Seven Samurai and Local Hero in as a tie. Not that they're anything alike.

firedrake
05-12-2009, 07:09 AM
Notting Hill
Remains of the Day
The English Patient
Truly, Madly, Deeply
Calendar Girls
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Brassed Off
The Full Monty
Hope and Glory
Brief Encounter (oldie but goodie)

Agree about Torchwood and Primeval, but no so much for the beasties as for Dougie Henshall :D

dgiharris
05-12-2009, 10:26 AM
so DGI - are you going to take us all up on the suggestions, watch every movie and report back?

Sort of,

based on comments and repetitive suggestions, ill definitely put them on my must see list, and next time i'm buying movies, be on the lookout. I'll probably rent a couple this week as I'm in the mood for something different.

Interestingly enough, some of the movie suggestions I thought were American movies and I've seen :)

*shrug*

Mel...

Cyia
05-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Am I the only one who liked Love, Actually? (It's my "mush" movie)

And there's one I can't remember the title to, but it's in Ireland and this old man wins the lottery and dies from the shock. The town conspires to have his friend impersonate him and split the winnings.

nevada
05-12-2009, 10:49 AM

And there's one I can't remember the title to, but it's in Ireland and this old man wins the lottery and dies from the shock. The town conspires to have his friend impersonate him and split the winnings.

I think we all love Love, ACtually, but i think because it was mentioned in the original post, we didnt add it to the list. The irish movie was called Waking Ned Devine.

Sophia
05-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Ice Cold in Alex (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053935/) is my favourite. It definitely meets your criteria! :)

MrWrite
05-12-2009, 01:51 PM

That one is called Waking Ned. I never did get round to watching it though.

Saint Fool
05-13-2009, 06:52 AM
Zulu - Historical with a young Michael Caine
The Ruling Class - This is one of those love it/hate it movies. Peter O'Toole is brilliant
The Long Good Friday - Gangster flick - very violent but very good.
Pennies From Heaven (the BBC series, not the Steve Martin movie.)

seun
05-13-2009, 04:27 PM
28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
Dog Soldiers
The Descent
Doomsday
The Tall Guy
Staggered
The Long Good Friday
Spivs
One Last Chance
A Fish Called Wanda
Erik The Viking

maestrowork
05-13-2009, 06:44 PM
The Reader
In Bruges
Mama Mia (yes, it's British)
Man on Wire
RocknRolla
Slumdog Millionaire

williemeikle
05-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Off the top of my head and ones I have at home:-

Dead of Night
The Ladykillers
David Copperfield
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Ice Cold in Alex
Doctor in the House
Carry on... Screaming
Night of the Eagle
Anything from Hammer Horror
The Ipcress Files
Quatermass and the Pit
The Day the Earth Caught Fire
The Railway Children
A Hard Day's Night
28 Days Later
Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Get Carter
Alfie
Dog Soldiers
The Long Good Friday
A Fish Called Wanda
Gregory's Girl
Local Hero
That Sinking Feeling
Mrs Brown
Shallow Grave
Shaun of the Dead
Children of Men
The Full Monty
Trainspotting

K. Taylor
05-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Run, Fatboy, Run - another Simon Pegg gem.
Kinky Boots had Chiwetel Ejiofor. (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0252230/)
Snatch is hilarious, but you might want to watch with sub-titles the first time so you catch what Brad Pitt's character is saying.
The Bank Job
The Pride and Prejudice miniseries is definitely good. My sister loves it, and hooked me into watching it in one pass.

I've liked all of the British movies I've seen. The TV stuff doesn't jibe with me, though....I'm either bored to tears or can't care a lick about the characters, and the low production values annoy me (in modern series). For me, their series took all the humor out of the James Herriot stories, and I LOVE those books. And my father drove me nuts watching Benny Hill every time I was over there for the weekend. It was so stupid!!

DeeCaudill
05-14-2009, 12:49 AM
I've seen some of these mentioned above, but it's worth repeating:

Ealing comedies and/or Robert Hamer:
Kind Hearts and Coronets
School for Scoundrels (1960)
The Ladykillers (1955)

Key Directors:
The Third Man (Carol Reed)
Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge on the River Kwai (David Lean)

My obligatory Emily Blunt recommendation:
My Summer of Love

There is a British Film Institute top 100 you can view here (http://www.bfi.org.uk/features/bfi100/)

dgiharris
05-14-2009, 03:51 AM
Wow, thanks for all the lists

Seems a lot of movies in that top 100 are older. But that's o.k. I think I'll make it a lifetime goal to watch all 100 of them.

Mel...

Bmwhtly
05-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Dead Man's Shoes
Withnail and I

Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz

28 Days Later
The Descent (get the british or director's cut, the american release was cut short and makes no sense)
Children of Men

Brazil

The History Boys
Trainspotting

Kinky Boots

A Fish Called Wanda
Fierce Creatures

Severance

Shallow Grave
The Italian Job. (The Original version.)
James Bond

Zulu

Doomsday

In Bruges

The Ipcress File
Quatermass and the Pit [Or, indeed, any of the Quatermass]
Get Carter [The original]
Mrs Brown

The Bank Job

Seconded.

I'll add:
Shiner starring an old(er) Michael Caine and 'that guy who played Gollum and King Kong'.

Whiskey Galore! an oldy but a goody.

Outpust Put on your special stain-proof underwear first, though.

Jonathan Creek Is a TV series rather than a film but it sort of qualifies.

Mr Flibble
05-14-2009, 04:16 PM
A lot of my faves already mentioned but:

Kes - have a hanky ready
Scum
The Crying Game
Gregory's Girl
Local Hero
Brassed Off
51st State
There's Only One Jimmy Grimble

Was Ravenous a Brit film?

Or for the older ones, I second Whiskey Galore and add Passport to Pimlico

Sophia
05-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge on the River Kwai (David Lean)

I can't believe I didn't think of David Lean straight away -- dgiharris, if you haven't seen Lawrence of Arabia, please do. Doctor Zhivago, too.

regdog
05-15-2009, 12:25 AM

That one is called Waking Ned. I never did get round to watching it though.

Waking Ned Devine-funny flick

I like a lot of those already mentioned also

Enchanted April
Mrs Brown
My Life So Far
Masterpiece Theater's
The Ginger Tree
My Boy Jack
My Family and Other Animals

waylander
05-15-2009, 01:02 AM
If no-one has mentioned it before "A Private Function"

Seconded - Whiskey Galore, Waking Ned, The Long Good Friday, the original version of The Italian Job, Ice Cold in Alex

RickN
05-15-2009, 03:30 AM
And one of my all time favorites, Severance. I think it's even funnier than Shaun of the Dead while actually managing to be good and scary at the same time.

I thought the missile launcher scene was wonderful. I'm a horror movie fan and I was pleasantly surprised.

seun
05-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Outpust Put on your special stain-proof underwear first, though.

Do you mean Outpost? I was disappointed by that. Worth a watch but not as good as I'd hoped.

Kathleen42
05-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Spaced(season 1)

Spaced is very possibly THE funniest show I have ever seen. I rented it from a local video store and, hours later, went out and bought a copy for myself.

seun
05-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Spaced is very possibly THE funniest show I have ever seen. I rented it from a local video store and, hours later, went out and bought a copy for myself.

Spaced is superb. Both series.

SirOtter
05-16-2009, 09:51 PM
The Man in the White Suit

Night of the Demon (renamed Curse of the Demon in the US)

The 1940 Thief of Bagdad

The Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes films were made in America by 20th Century Fox & Universal, but the British have made quite a few Holmes pics with other stars.

bettielee
05-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Oh, so my week was made - was in Borders, watching its slow demise as shelves empty and huge cardboard boxes labeled $3, $5, and "free to good home" spring up all around, when my wandering eye spyed "Enchanted April" on DVD! Finally!! It's a chick flick, about some English ladies renting a house in Tuscany, I believe. One woman goes to get away from her husband, but he shows up! And I won't spoil it... and it's a total chick flick, so dgiharris is probably using his fingers and mock-shooting me, or reporting me to the mods....

Bmwhtly
05-17-2009, 12:37 AM
Do you mean Outpost?I do (woops)

I was disappointed by that. Worth a watch but not as good as I'd hoped.
I fail to agree.

It had some fairly heavy flaws, but I found it pretty scary. And that doesn't happen at all often.

AliceWrites
05-17-2009, 01:09 AM
Did anyone mention A Fish Called Wanda, yet? It's very funny. John Cleese is totally manic, but he's good.

Also, The Life of Brian. Probably the best, wackiest Brit film.

childeroland
05-17-2009, 01:12 AM
Dennis Potter's Dreamchild

Bernard Rose's Paperhouse

Hugh Hudson's Chariots of Fire

Agnieszka Holland's The Secret Garden

dgiharris
05-17-2009, 01:44 AM
Oh, so my week was made - was in Borders, watching its slow demise as shelves empty and huge cardboard boxes labeled $3, $5, and "free to good home" spring up all around, when my wandering eye spyed "Enchanted April" on DVD! Finally!! It's a chick flick, about some English ladies renting a house in Tuscany, I believe. One woman goes to get away from her husband, but he shows up! And I won't spoil it... and it's a total chick flick, so dgiharris is probably using his fingers and mock-shooting me, or reporting me to the mods....

Manly Man

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc326/dgiharris/Bodybuilder.jpg

+
Chick Flick

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc326/dgiharris/cupcakes_2.jpg

Equals

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc326/dgiharris/chokingadultstep1_L.jpg

So please, don't kill me*

Mel...

*However, there is an excpetion-- romantic comedies in which by taking a date you significantly increase your odds of scoring. Those are permissible :)

Bmwhtly
05-17-2009, 03:09 AM
Jonathan Creek Is a TV series rather than a film but it sort of qualifies.
If Jonathan Creek doesn't qualify, Sharpe ought.

seun
05-17-2009, 03:36 PM
I do (woops)

I fail to agree.

It had some fairly heavy flaws, but I found it pretty scary. And that doesn't happen at all often.

Don't get me wrong. It wasn't bad at all. It just wasn't as good I'd heard or hoped.

And has anyone said Run, Fatboy, Run?

JJ Cooper
05-17-2009, 03:48 PM
A couple of mentions already - so I'll further recommend Death at a Funeral. Just brilliant. Watched it a couple of times and could see it again.

JJ

JimmyB27
05-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Staggered (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111275/), a very much underrated film directed by and starring Martin Clunes as the hapless Neil Price who is stranded, naked, on a remote Scottish island by his best friend after his stag party and must find his way back to London.
Saving Grace (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0195234/). Great film about a well to do woman who's husband dies and leaves her with mountains of debt. A skilled botanist, she takes to growing marijuana to pay the bills and avoid losing her home. Martin Clunes is in this one too, which is almost enough on its own to get a recommendation, but it is also a brilliant film anyway.

BenPanced
05-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Peeping Tom, Victim, and Darling.

AliceWrites
05-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Staggered (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111275/), a very much underrated film directed by and starring Martin Clunes as the hapless Neil Price who is stranded, naked, on a remote Scottish island by his best friend after his stag party and must find his way back to London.

Saving Grace (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0195234/). Great film about a well to do woman who's husband dies and leaves her with mountains of debt. A skilled botanist, she takes to growing marijuana to pay the bills and avoid losing her home. Martin Clunes is in this one too, which is almost enough on its own to get a recommendation, but it is also a brilliant film anyway.

I'll second the vote for Martin Clunes. Seriously funny actor. Haven't seen the films, though. Cheers for those.

Bmwhtly
05-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Alien3 ?