Maryngen vs. the Ants

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now that we've got inside ants licked--figuratively--how about outside? Today I had reason to move some decorative stones at the back of the house and uncovered a massive underground ant nest which must be eight or nine feet long and who knows how deep. I saw literally thousands of ants swarm up as I uncovered all their entrances,and lots of ants-to-be, which they hustled out of sight. When I applied some insect killer, the ones it hit died, but I only got the surface guys. How do I get rid of the whole crew?

Note that the problem is not with ants coming inside. (That's what my future holds, perhaps, but now, the problem is massive numbers of ants outdoors, nesting underground against the foundation and basement of my house.)

The area next to the house is packed earth, clay-based and difficult digging, with no grass until about six to ten inches away from the foundation, which may mean I can use means which would harm grass.

My first thoughts were diatomaceous earth or boiling water, but it would take a lot of either one. I've read that boric acid and products containing borax and carbohydrates work over a period of several days, killing the queen, but what happens to her loyal subjects?

Yes, ants hate mint, cinnamon, citrus oil, lavender, and all kinds of other stuff, but I'd need my own spice island to make that affordable.

What's the best plan of attack?

Maryn, glad they're just the little guys and not the giant carpenter ants

fairy86

Loose on the internet!
Registered
Reaction score
I had ants inside my house today :cry:
The technician hasn't finished fixing my AC so now it's mega-hot and smells like Raid. Good luck with your outside problem; ants are crappy.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
a Costco-sized bag of sugar, deployed on your neighbor's lawn at 3 am?

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
same problem here
I have pesky little ant colonies that appear every spring right up against the house - maybe 2 or 3 of them.
I step on them, mess everything up and two days later they're back.
And over the weekend I uncovered something very similar to what Maryn found in her yard, although not as big: maybe 2 feet long, but there were lots of tiny ants, ready to rule the world.
So I consider this a wonderful public service post: please someone - help us all to get rid of ants!!

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
ants bite big time. Inside or out! ucky... Hope they're all gone very soon.

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
When I was little, my parents discovered they'd built our house on top of some huge ant nests. We battled them for years, until they finally "bombed" the house. I do not know what this means, and I was small, but my impression was that my dad went under the house and planted some stuff into the nests/hives/whatever. I think we had to stay out of the house for maybe a day. But after that, the ants were gone.