Movies that should be seen multiple times, on the big screen

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Not movies that YOU have seen multiple times, but movies that in general get better the more you see it in theaters.

For example, I think the new Star Trek movie should be seen at least twice, preferably IMAX. It's the kind of big screen spectacles that must be seen on the biggest screen you can find...

Another example is Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago -- they are meant to be seen multiple times on the big screen.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy was MUCH better suited to the big screen, as was the first Pirates of the Caribbean.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back. Watching them on the TV screen just isn't the same thing. And you bet you can watch them over and over and over again. Same with Raiders of the Lost Ark.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
The Matrix Trilogy (absolutely)
Batman Begins and The Dark Knight (absolutely rivetting on the big screen, not as powerful on DVD)
All the Star Wars movies
The Fast and the Furious
Fast and Furious (two great films that work better on the big screen)

Pretty much any high action movie with huge breadth is best watched on the big screen.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I'd seen Pan's Labrynth on the big screen.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
The Matrix -- I walked out of the theater in a daze
The Dark Knight -- Seen that 3 times in the theater
Back to the Future -- Now i'm dating myself, this KICKED ass in the theater (remember this was before everyone had a home theater system with surround sound in their living room)
The Ring -- Something about watching this in the theater just added to the experience
The Naked Gun -- When I saw this movie in the theater, I almost passed out from laughing.
Airplane -- A theater did a special showing and it is definitely funnier on the big screen
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon -- In a word, Awesome
Hero -- Magical movie that just gets better everytime you see it on the big screen
Super Troopers -- This movie must almost made me black out cuz I was laughing so hard
Kung Fu Hustle -- Just gets sillier and sillier, you keep noticing new things

O.k. that's my list. Can you beat it?

Mel...

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
The Magnificent Seven.
Bonnie and Clyde.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
South Park -- there was nothing that topped watching it on the Big Screen with 200 college kids, slightly intoxicated. It MUST be seen that way.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
The Bourne Trilogy.

Moulin Rouge. When the first Can Can scene was on, with all those whirling skirts, I remember thinking "too much, too much." It was so overwhelming and bright, it left me dazed. exactly how people going to the Moulin Rouge felt.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Moulin Rouge. When the first Can Can scene was on, with all those whirling skirts, I remember thinking "too much, too much." It was so overwhelming and bright, it left me dazed. exactly how people going to the Moulin Rouge felt.

ABSO-Frickin-LUTELY. That movie has to seen on the big screen, with the sound system cranked up to MAX, with the audiences high on one thing or another. Watching it on TV gives you the WTFIT feeling... but watching it on the big screen is a totally different experience. It's like drugs, only better.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Totally, the Moulin Rouge effect! Yes.

The Others. I saw it on TV later, and it lost nearly everything.

Braveheart.

If you must see The Village, see it in the theater. I loved the colors and mood, and 7/8ths of that movie ;)

I've never seen Memoirs of a Geisha, but that looked like one I'd love in the theatre.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen Memoirs of a Geisha, but that looked like one I'd love in the theatre.
It was beautiful on the big screen.

I have to agree with most of the movies mentioned. Dances With Wolves is another one that is awesome in a theatre. Others:

The French Connection -- the car chase was mind blowing
Blade Runner -- I swear I could feel the rain ... or maybe some kid in the balcony was dribbling his drink on me....

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
the Sound of Music....

South Pacfic.....

Mary Poppins.....

(I kind of like musicals I guess....)

Star Wars....

Jurassic Park.... I agree.

Even some of the kids animated shows.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm watching the Dark Knight right now and I just realized that the scene where the Batpod comes flying out of the tumbler was absolutely one of the greatest scenes to watch on the big screen ever. That whole sequence is bad ass on TV, but on the big screen it was just fantastic.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com

When we went to Paris, we intended to go to the Moulin Rouge, but when we got there, the admission charge was crazy. Ff 1,000 each (that was about £100. What was that in dollars? In those days, probably $200), I think. No way we could spend Ff 2,000 on a night out.

For comparison, the hotel room cost £55 per night, for the two of us. Not sure of the date.