PDA

View Full Version : Personal Training - First Session?

thethinker42
05-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Client: Extremely fit already, has been doing weight training/running for years, just looking for a new personal trainer to help him off of a training plateau. Definitely not a beginner.

What would the first session with a new trainer be like? How would the trainer approach the session (i.e., start with a discussion of goals/past workouts, then move into the weight room or cardio equipment to assess the client's skill level, etc?) Your personal experiences as a client or the PT are welcome. :D

I have a scene that takes place during a "first session" with a new trainer, so I want to make sure I'm not approaching it all wrong. :P My only experiences with PT's have been as a very novice weightlifter.

Sharonb423
05-11-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm not a personal trainer but I have been seeing one for years. And as much as I'd like to say I was in great shape when we started well, I'd be lying. But I had been working out regularly.

But she did measure my weight, body fat, took measurements of my waist, arms, legs, etc. We discussed goals (i.e. weight loss, training for triathalon), restrictions (i.e. bad knees, asthma). Before meeting I did have paperwork emailed to me that included medical history and a release. Briefly touched on eating habits and while she wasn't a nutritionist she suggested supplements, etc. We did work out but it wasn't a full workout, just an idea of tolerance.

And after the second workout I threw up. Not eating before a workout can do that to you, the acids in your stomach can build up and make you sick.

Hope this helps at least a little

scarletpeaches
05-11-2009, 04:28 PM
tt42 - get the hell off AW and write the damn book!

scarletpeaches, who knows what's coming.

*cough*

thethinker42
05-11-2009, 04:29 PM
tt42 - get the hell off AW and write the damn book!

scarletpeaches, who knows what's coming.

*cough*

Keep it up and my characters will take up curling.

Maiden
05-11-2009, 05:54 PM
I had a PT a long time ago. I was no where near in shape though. They just weighed me, talked of goals, showed me the gym, showed me how each piece of equipment ran, and made a plan of attack. We did a short workout when they showed me how to use everything.

Not sure how much that helps.

Kitty Pryde
05-11-2009, 08:35 PM
I have a trainer, but I'm a bit of a slug. I sent my very-fit biker friend to the same trainer. He trains people outside with calisthenics and aerobics, not gym machines. He is the smiley, super-positive sort of trainer, not the shouty angry type.

Anyway, my friend's first session with the trainer started with a few minutes discussing his goals, and the remainder was a brutal hour of ass-kicking exercise that ended with him limping home and collapsing face down on the couch for three hours, exhausted but happy. They still train together once a week. Apparently he can easily assess someone's limits by working them really hard :D

WriteKnight
05-11-2009, 08:39 PM
My experience was much like what others have posted. A weigh/measure session, discussion of goals and limitations, then a 'stress test' - basically some cardio to see how fast I reached my target goal, and what my hr was after a given time. Toss in a tour of the gym, and you're done for the first session.

VeggieChick
05-11-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm a trainer. No matter the shape the client is in, I always take a few minutes to discuss goals, go over what he did before, take measurements and talk about medical history. I usually don't train during my first session. If training is included in the first session, I go for the kill. It always makes the client happy.

JrFFKacy
05-13-2009, 06:44 AM
And after the second workout I threw up. Not eating before a workout can do that to you, the acids in your stomach can build up and make you sick.

Doing CrossFit can cause this as well... (Which is why I drag hay bales and run, instead of getting on the CrossFit bandwagon...lol... I have gotten a little 'gaggy' doing CrossFit type workouts though).