PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Transylvania (near the current Hungarian border), or know the region?

backslashbaby
05-11-2009, 06:39 AM
I lived in Hungary for a while, but I never got to Romania. I knew many Transylvanians but I've really lost touch with about everyone now.

I need to verify some information about crossing the border into Hungary (post 2002 or so), and hopefully, terms specific to Transylvania. Non-Transylvanian Romanian speakers would be helpful, too.

Anyone especially knowledgeable about the area near Szeged, Hungary?

I need my MC to crash her rental car into a lake somewhere near the border (Szeged, for now), preferably in an area that still has that wonderful open-plains feeling (and the kind of thunderstorms you see near Lake Balaton). A thunderstorm causes the accident.

Now, I know I don't need an actual road that goes over an actual lake, but it needs to be believable that nobody would notice the accident, or the car for a while (see why not Lake Balaton?). It can't be the wonderful marshland, unless it's deeper than I ever realized.

It needs to be near or in Transylvania (I've been to Szeged), but any town around the border is fine.

Extra points for knowing whether she could drive a rental car from Romania into Hungary... or whether one would reasonably do that.

Thanks!!

dgiharris
05-11-2009, 08:14 AM
WHen I was little, I thought Translyannia was in Pennslyvania for the longest time.

Up until my 30th birthday :)

O.k. maybe not that long. But you got to admit, the names SCREAM that they belong together

Mel...

backslashbaby
05-11-2009, 08:09 PM
:roll: Makes sense.

When I was little, we'd drive by a sign for Transylvania (county) going through the NC mountains, and my dad would tell me that it was where Dracula really lived. I hid in the backseat!

Tepelus
05-12-2009, 04:52 AM
My ex is from Romania, the Moldavian part of the country, not Transylvania, though he had friends from Transylvania. The best I could do is give you his email, and try to contact him, though I don't know if he still uses the email address or not. My last few attempts to contact him were nil. Don't know if it's because he's been ignoring me or doesn't use the old address anymore. Send me a pm if interested.

backslashbaby
05-13-2009, 04:33 AM
Excellent :D Thank you!