PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in New York

DamaNegra
05-11-2009, 06:00 AM
Well, in a few weeks I'll be visiting New York for a couple of days, and I was wondering, what do you recommend I visit? You know, aside from the usual tourist haunts, what are the best places to go in New York? Restaurant/café suggestions also appreciated :)

Kaiser-Kun
05-11-2009, 06:09 AM
I recommend you buy one of those bus tour tickets, they are expensive -about 70$ per head-, but it's worth it because you don't have to wait in line. In New York, you have to wait in line for EVERYTHING, for hours in the big attractions.

Century21 is a great place to buy clothes, right around the southeast corner of the Ground Zero.

The subway's the best way to get around -I still keep the MetroCard I bought in December as a souvenir-. And be sure to keep your cellphone on. I had a nasty episode where I got separated from my group for over two hours, and only after we found out we could sms each other.

C.bronco
05-11-2009, 06:13 AM
The Museaum of Natural History is one of my favorites. The Bronx Zoo is amazing too. There are so many things to do... what type of stuff do you like? See a show on Broadway if you can, and visit Ellis Island!

Kaiser-Kun
05-11-2009, 06:16 AM
Ellis & Liberty Islands are a mandatory picture spot. This is I with the lady:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b338/Kaiser-Kun/072.jpg

Sharonb423
05-11-2009, 04:46 PM
What are you interested in? That's the most important thing...

Central Park is great, best seen from the back of a horse drawn carriage but also spend some time wandering about, especially this time of year.
If you are going to do a carriage ride, take it through Central Park and finish up at Tavern on the Green for lunch or dinner.
Statue of Liberty is a must for everyone but buy tickets in advance online and plan on a two hour wait to board the ferry.
NBC Studio Tour is fun
See Rockefeller Center, there are tours available, they call it "the Rock".
Ridiculous lines for the top of Empire State Building
Little Italy, great place for dinner but not real convenient to downtown. I cab it and do dinner there every time I visit. Always great service
See a show! Google it first, i.e. Mama Mia discount tickets. There are ALWAYS places to get discounted tickets, don't pay full price or more through your concierge if you can help it. You can still get decent discounted seats in the orchestra.

We go a few times a year for a weekend away and depending on what you're into, sometimes just sitting in Maxi's in Times Square eating cheesecake and people watching is the best part of the trip.

Out of curiosity, are you going to NYC for the Backspace Convention?

WendyNYC
05-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Where are you staying? I do think the double-decker bus tours are fun, especially on a nice day, and a good way to see a lot of the city. You can hop on and off at certain stops. I like the South Street Seaport and the Bodies exhibit is right down there if you are so inclined. What kind of things do you like? If you are a museum lover, the Met is fantastic, the Whitney is pretty good, depending on the exhibits, and the Guggenheim has just been redone. MOMA is my favorite. MOMA has a great casual cafe plus a fancy restaurant. I love, love the Museum of Natural History. Their cafe is sort of meh.

Let me know what you like and I can give you a zillion suggestions.

ETA: I agree about the Empire State Building. No no no. The Top of the Rock is much easier, and the views are fantastic.

DamaNegra
05-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks to everyone who has responded! I'm not really sure what I like. The museums sound like fun, but I also wanted to see some non-traditional tourist haunts. You know, the kinds that don't always pop up in traveler's guides. Anything goes :)

WendyNYC
05-11-2009, 05:29 PM
The Lower East Side Tenement Museum is very cool if you want to learn about immigrant history in New York. It's a great add-on to Ellis Island.

You can walk across the Brooklyn Bridge on a nice day, and stroll along the waterfront in Battery Park.

You can visit the United Nations and sometimes sit in on a meeting.

They have a super fast speed boat ride that leaves from the South Street Seaport called The Beast or The Shark or The Animal or something like that. It takes you around the Statue of Liberty if you want some good pictures, but don't want to spend a whole day taking the ferry over. Kids LOVE this and I had a good time, too.

The Madame Alexander doll factory gives tours that I hear are very cool. I've never been, but my daughter went to a birthday party there and they made their own dolls. She was excited about the huge containers full of eyeballs or arms or heads.

Let me think some more.

Wayne K
05-11-2009, 05:34 PM
If it's old New York flavor you're looking for you'll have to get out of NYC and into places like Park Slope Brooklyn and Williamsburg.

Gentrification pushed the real New Yorkers out a while ago.

Pagey's_Girl
05-11-2009, 05:40 PM
....She was excited about the huge containers full of eyeballs or arms or heads...

:ROFL:
I know that's not how you meant that one, but my Wednesday Addams side loved it...

If Trash & Vaudeville is still open (can't remember the address, think it was 8th Avenue...) stop in there. Great shopping. And the Houlihan's down by Penn Station has the best hot wings ever.

WendyNYC
05-11-2009, 05:42 PM
:ROFL:
I know that's not how you meant that one, but my Wednesday Addams side loved it...

Oh yeah, Wednesday Addams would be a good way to describe her.

William Haskins
05-11-2009, 08:15 PM
go to the algonquin and sit in one of those chairs. it's a great feeling.

http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/Algonquin+draws+literary+past+contemporary+deal/1519169/story.html

Medievalist
05-11-2009, 08:17 PM
I always got to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the Cloisters.

And then, I confess somewhat shamefully, I spend most of my time hitting used bookstores and food carts.

William Haskins
05-11-2009, 08:24 PM
i like the used food carts.

robeiae
05-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Things to do in New York
Get mugged?

I love the Jekyll and Hyde Club. It's a fun place for a meal.

1409 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10019

James81
05-11-2009, 08:56 PM
You need to get a nice floppy, foldable slice of new york pizza. I hear that it's absolutely delicious.

WendyNYC
05-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Here are a few more things to do:

Take a lesson at the Trapeze School of New York
Visit Chelsea Piers and ice skate, climb the rock wall, go bowling, take a turn on the driving range
Rent a kayak in Riverside Park and tool around on the Hudson River
Rent a rowboat at the boathouse in Central Park.
Check out the Rubin Museum for Himalayan Art. It's very cool.

Check Time Out New York (http://newyork.timeout.com/) for ideas as well.

ETA: There is also Dylan's Candy Bar on 3rd Ave/60th St. if you really really like sweets.

robeiae
05-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Oooo...Chelsea Piers! Excellent! We had a blast, there.

Wayne K
05-11-2009, 10:37 PM
If you're going to Chelsea Piers go to The Chelsea Market 9th ave between 15th and 16th street.. They have specialty shops that were reasonable when I lived there.

WendyNYC
05-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Oh yeah, and I've always wanted to go to Gotham Girls Roller Derby in Brooklyn, but have never been. It sounds fun.

I also like the Nuyorican Poets Cafe on the LES but I haven't been there in years.

CaroGirl
05-11-2009, 11:55 PM
If you go to the right part of Christopher Street in Greenwich Village you could visit some awesome S&M shops.

Kaiser-Kun
05-12-2009, 12:27 AM
If you go to the right part of Christopher Street in Greenwich Village you could visit some awesome S&M shops.

You mean they're supposed to be restricted to an area?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b338/Kaiser-Kun/045.jpg

DamaNegra
05-12-2009, 02:31 AM

Hahahaha somehow, I don't think my grandfather would appreciate it :ROFL: I'm travelling with him and dad, so....

Still, some excellent suggestions :) Thank you, everyone!