I am an idiot.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Yesterday I got an email inviting me to the first birthday of a college friend's child. Some other college buddies would be there. The email said it was "tomorrow at 5." (We don't see each other often and she just realized I live near her in-laws, who they are visiting.) So I accept happily, go out today and get the kid a couple of books, wrap them, and just now re-open the email to get the correct address before I head out.

Whereupon I realize "tomorrow at 5" is actually the 9th. The email had been sent at 11:29 PM on the 8th. :Headbang:

So I just TOTALLY blew of this kid's birthday party - after confirming that same day that I was going to be there!

I just sent an apology, but man, if I was them, I would think I was a total jerk. :)

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Nah. You're not an idiot. And, if they were a little bit more 'net savvy, they would have put the day with the date in the note.

It happens to all of us.

You did send the gift, right? Or at least read them and told them how good they were? :)

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
That happens, Jo. I wouldn't worry about it. If you send the gift I bet all will be forgiven. :)

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
That's right. Nothing erases an offense from the heart of a child than a swift bribe goodwill token.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
The fault is not yours, but your friend's. She should have included all pertinent information clearly. Not to mention, inviting friends very late in the day for the next day is rather bold. You've been a good friend.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...The email said it was "tomorrow at 5..."
It sounds like you're taking the blame for your friend's lack of communication. "Tomorrow" doesn't mean much unless a date is included, such as, "Tomorrow (May 9th) at five o'clock."

ETA: Cross posted with Snowstorm, who nails it better than I did. :)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Okay, so - perhaps I did not put this clearly. The email said "tomorrow." It ALSO included the actual date. Saturday, May 9th. In fact, that was in the subject line. I totally missed it.

See? I'm an idiot. :)