PDA

View Full Version : Mythologies, Pantheons and Whatnot

PattiTheWicked
06-14-2005, 05:43 AM
I'm wondering how many of my fellow writers have found themselves working up ideas based on the mythologies/legends/whatevers of their spiritual path. I'm presently playing around with some Scottish folktales, which I am trying to retell in a kid-friendly way, while still staying true to the original premise of the story -- no small feat, that, believe me. I think one of the reasons I'm drawn to this is because of my Scottish ancestry, but another big part of it is because my spiritual path is eclectic with some Celtic influence.

I'm also interested in the eddas of Norse mythology, and am completely fascinated with the way writers like Tolkien managed to weave the epic poems into contemporary works. Right now I'm reading the saga of the Volsungs, and as I read it I can point to certain sections and say, "Hey! That part's in The Return of the King!"

Sarita
06-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Patti- I'm working on a novel based in the Inca Empire around the 1500's. There are so many legends surrounding the fall of Huascaran, the rightful heir to the Incan throne and I've been playing with those to use in my story. Fascinating stuff.

Have you read American Gods by Neil Gaiman? I found myself delving into encyclopedias after finishing practically every chapter. He packed so many gods and legends into one book. I'd love to see his research file on that one!

PattiTheWicked
06-14-2005, 10:47 PM
Patti- I'm working on a novel based in the Inca Empire around the 1500's. There are so many legends surrounding the fall of Huascaran, the rightful heir to the Incan throne and I've been playing with those to use in my story. Fascinating stuff.

You know, I'm not sure I've ever read a novel based on the Incan Empire. That sounds amazing and complex -- it must be a real challenge. Go you!!

Have you read American Gods by Neil Gaiman? I found myself delving into encyclopedias after finishing practically every chapter. He packed so many gods and legends into one book. I'd love to see his research file on that one!

Haven't read it yet, but someone else I know recommended it as well. Might just have to hunt that one down at the library -- or at least add it to my Read This Someday list.

brokenfingers
06-14-2005, 10:59 PM
I'm writing a far-future sci-fi/fantasy type deal book thingie.

One thing I've been doing is creating myths etc from some major events in modern human history and also ancient history. Trying to give them a parable type feel that myths and fables often have.

I find it fascinating how there is often a kernel of truth in many fables, myths, folktales, legends etc. My feeling is that they were obviously events that touched a broad spectrum of peoples and made them tell stories about it until through time and distortion they became the tales we know today.

The great flood and Noah's ark. Troy. Robin Hood. the Great White God the Aztecs mistook Cortez or Pizarro or whichever Spanish conqueror for. Jack and the beanstalk. Etc.

Recently I've been trying to devise a myth based on good ol' Mikey Jacksons story. It may not make it in the book - but it's fun!

Sarita
06-14-2005, 11:50 PM
Bill, I really liked the legend feel you had going in that poem Into the Desert. Were you using something in particular as inspiration for that? I really like the aspects of the stories that make it to us, how they traveled through time and what elements have changed throughout their telling. Very cool.

MJ, huh? That could be interesting. The rise and fall.

Patti- The research was tedious, but now that it's done, it should be smooth sailing... if only I had time to write the thing. My BIC time has been severely lacking lately. Must work on that! The history is deep and tangled. Even though it was difficult to research, it was enlightening to learn about the spirituality of the Incan people. Very interesting!

brokenfingers
06-15-2005, 12:09 AM
Into the desert? Yeah - my personal life hahahaha!

As for MJ, I was going along the lines of trying to become something you're not and how it can destroy you in the end - no matter how high you've climbed.

Or maybe not. I find it interesting to think what people will say of our day and age 100, 500, 1000 years from now. Or if they'll even be aware of our day to day lifestyle.

Sarita
06-15-2005, 01:14 AM
I find it interesting to think what people will say of our day and age 100, 500, 1000 years from now. Or if they'll even be aware of our day to day lifestyle. Me too. I'm sure they'll know all about us, since everything is so well documented these days. Although, in the history books, the WMD's might show up....

DTKelly
06-15-2005, 09:10 AM
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I've been doing research recently into Celtic lore for a children's book idea I have. Not to retell the lore or modernize it, but looking for things that are 'fresh', or would be fresh in today's market. Mostly looking for things to 'color' my world, not be the story. Like mythical creatures.. I'm so tired of dragon stories, lets find other mythical creatures that aren't in Harry Potter or every other Fantasy book. Creatures that exist in lore, so if a child reads my book and thinks this creature sounds really cool (I would hope so!), with a little research they could find information and learn for themselves. I think that adds so much more than just having a big, overused dragon as the creature the hero must beat.

There, who wants the soapbox now? :)

I really shouldn't reply to threads when I'm exhausted...

Sarita
06-16-2005, 02:19 AM
Mostly looking for things to 'color' my world, not be the story. Like mythical creatures..
Yes! How cool! I don't write fantasy but reading about a new creature would definitely make me look it up. Case in point.... The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde. I know I've mentioned Jasper about 1000 times on the board, but I love his humorous take on fantasy. He used a minotaur in this book. I knew it came from Greek mythology and that it was half man/half bull, but I really wondered more. Did a little googling and found some interesting sites and books to read.

I'd love to see some lesser used creatures in fiction and most of them have a very rich history.

PattiTheWicked
06-17-2005, 11:00 PM
I'd love to see some lesser used creatures in fiction and most of them have a very rich history.

One of the things I enjoy so much about Rowling's Potterverse is her seemingly endless use of beings, ideas, critters and objects from actual mythological sources.

NicoleJLeBoeuf
06-17-2005, 11:10 PM
The Well Of Lost Plots is totally on my need-to-read list. I love a good metafiction.

The next novel draft I undertake will incorporate something along those lines--right now, it's a vague idea about a novelist whose main character goes missing, and turns up in The Real World; and beings who can travel on their own steam between layers of relative fiction, thus giving this character a route out of the book and into the novelist's reality; and the idea that this novelist becomes the "book detective" heroine of a series in which she solves mysteries concerning this crossing of boundaries between fiction and her own reality. (I'm already worried about turning it into an inadvertant Mary Sue tale, but that's a danger that's never far even when the main character isn't a writer.)

There will probably be an entire cosmology/mythology developed in which the boundary-crossing beings believe.

Speaking of Celtic mythology, has anyone mentioned Pat O'Shea's Hounds of the Morrigan yet? And has O'Shea other novels out there anyone would recommend? I loved Hounds. It made it onto our husband/wife bedtime read-aloud list.

Sarita
06-17-2005, 11:10 PM
One of the things I enjoy so much about Rowling's Potterverse is her seemingly endless use of beings, ideas, critters and objects from actual mythological sources.

I must admit, I have soft Potterspot in my heart as well. The complexity of the plot line is what does it to me.

DTKelly
06-19-2005, 07:42 PM
I have a horrible confession to make. I have not read any of the Harry Potter books.:gone: I've watched the first two movies, however, and I loved them.

If you loved the movies, you will TOTALLY love the books. The movies just give you a taste of the world. In the books the world is completely alive.

Sarita
06-19-2005, 07:53 PM
The Well Of Lost Plots is totally on my need-to-read list. I love a good metafiction.
Nicole, The Well is the third book in the series. It starts with The Eyre Affair. Fforde totally writes for avid readers and writers. I'm sure after reading the Eyre Affair for the third time, I still haven't picked out all of the subtext and "inside" jokes he peppers through his stories. Good stuff.

PattiTheWicked
06-19-2005, 11:07 PM
If you loved the movies, you will TOTALLY love the books. The movies just give you a taste of the world. In the books the world is completely alive.

Rowling isn't one of my favorite authors, because there's something about her style that just annoys me. However, the books are some of my favorite stories, because they are so complex, the plots are clever, and most of the characters are interesting.

Actually, my LEAST favorite character is Harry himself, because he's a bit wooden and boring, and tends to whine a lot. I think Rowling's baddies, like the Malfoys and Tom Riddle, are her best characterizations.

Okay, and admittedly I have a huge crush on Jason Isaacs, who plays Lucius Malfoy in Chamber of Secrets. Mmrrrooow.

But yeah, the movies are good, but the books are definitely worth reading because there's so much MORE there than what you get to see on film.

Sarita
06-19-2005, 11:16 PM
And the books help you understand so much more of the movies. They slip little things into them that you wouldn't "get" if you hadn't read the books.

Patti- I agree about Harry. He drives me crazy. But I love Sirius and I can't get enough of Snape. And that Delores Umbridge from Book 5? I just loved to hate her.

PattiTheWicked
06-20-2005, 05:57 AM
And that Delores Umbridge from Book 5? I just loved to hate her.

Heh. One of my favorite characters is Rita Skeeter. She's an absolute riot to read.

Rowling tends to make her secondary characters way more fun than her main characters.

I adore Sirius Black too. I'm reasonably certain he'll be *back* in Book 7.

Sarita
06-20-2005, 06:31 AM
One of my favorite characters is Rita Skeeter. She's an absolute riot to read. I adore Sirius Black too. I'm reasonably certain he'll be *back* in Book 7.
Oh man... we could really get going on this Potter speak. I love Rita, too. The imagery of the quick quill really gets me. Man, I'd love to have one of those! Now, this is on topic... I'm guessing she's bringing Sirius back, too. I'm wondering what kind of death mythology she's going to use to do it.

(hey, did you notice that this is a thread in the pagan forum that is actually thriving? It's hot. Let's keep it going guys! I love it!)

PattiTheWicked
06-21-2005, 12:06 AM
I love thread drift, don't you?

Why look! It's the trailer for GOF!!! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0330373/trailers

Sarita
06-21-2005, 12:23 AM
Of course I do, especially when it leads to things that make me hummmmm

"Something wicked this way COMES!!!!"

It must have been the combo of your name and the link. Which, by the way, was great. Thanks for sharing. I think the merpeople will be particularly interesting.

PattiTheWicked
06-21-2005, 01:26 AM
Of course I do, especially when it leads to things that make me hummmmm

"Something wicked this way COMES!!!!"

It must have been the combo of your name and the link. Which, by the way, was great. Thanks for sharing. I think the merpeople will be particularly interesting.

I am totally looking forward to the scenes with the Qudditch World Cup and the Hungarian Horntail.

And I'm embarrassed to admit that even though I'm old enough to be Cedric Diggory's mom, he just looks delicious.

Sarita
06-21-2005, 01:36 AM
I was really hoping for a steamier Sirius. I'm glad Cedric is a dish. He should be. (and yes, he's a dish...) The World Cup I think could provide some of the most amazing scenes. The Leprechauns could be cool and Krum's flying will be amazing... Looking forward to seeing the Kronsky Feign for the first time. God, I'm such a dork!

Christine N.
06-21-2005, 04:21 PM
LOL You guys. Less than one month to book Six! Woo hoo!
But, back tot he orignal post - yes, I am currently writing a MG series dealing with mythology. Well, let's say that book one is done, and book two is on the way. It's a mixture of magic and myth. There's a library, created by an archeaologist who got into magic, who is now dead. MC, who lives in his house, stumbles onto said library. She and her friends find enchanted books that are actually hiding places for made up magical artifacts, and they get sucked inside when they open them.

Book one is called the Crown of Zeus. Bet you can guess where the book is set?

PattiTheWicked
06-21-2005, 07:59 PM
I was really hoping for a steamier Sirius.

Gary Oldman was a bit hygienically challenged as Sirius, but I'd happily give him a sponge bath if he asked nicely.

Bram Stoker's Dracula. Sexiest Gary Oldman movie ever. Mmm.

I'm glad Cedric is a dish. He should be. (and yes, he's a dish...) The World Cup I think could provide some of the most amazing scenes. The Leprechauns could be cool and Krum's flying will be amazing... Looking forward to seeing the Kronsky Feign for the first time. God, I'm such a dork!

"Hi, I'm Patti, and I'm a 36-year-old suburbanite, and I'm addicted to Harry Potter."

<group> Hi, Patti!

Sarita
06-24-2005, 12:25 AM
Hi Patti! I have a welcome gift for being so forthright with the 12 step group:

New Images From GoP (http://harrypotter.warnerbros.com/web/hogwarts/dailyprophet/article.jsp?id=GOF_images3)

Teehee, enjoy!

DTKelly
06-24-2005, 05:48 PM
Wow,

I step away from the thread for a few days and look what happens!

I can't wait until the next HP book. I read book 5 in two days. My eyes bled for a while afterwords. :eek: Then again, I was the last in the household to read it (even though we have two copies of it) and had to get through it before loose lips told me everything.

Although I admit, I made my wife tell me who died. I couldn't bear to think that Hagrid (my favorite) could be the one. Sad to see Sirius go, but from the moment he vanished I was swearing we'd see him again. (If I remember correctly, Dumbledore never says he was dead, just that he was gone... Or maybe I'm wrong, that was read somewhere in the 18th hour of my reading marathon.)

DTKelly
06-27-2005, 06:12 PM
And then I killed it!... My work here is done!!

Sarita
06-27-2005, 06:17 PM
I'm not letting it die!!!

You are right. Dumbledore just says "Sirius is d-" Could have been anything, but JKR confirms that Sirius died. Cha! She's just trying to mislead us!!

Any theories on the Half Blood Prince?

PattiTheWicked
06-28-2005, 07:11 AM
Any theories on the Half Blood Prince?

Someone's gonna die. My money is on an older Weasley sibling. Perhaps Percy. He'd make good cannon fodder.

I'm also hoping we start seeing something confirming that Harry has been suffering from mandrake root poisoning (note the dramatic personality changes in OOP). If this is the case, the big mystery would be who was responsible?

Hermione and Ron will argue some more, and Harry will sneak into Hogsmeade when he's been told not to. I also suspect we'll see a return of Remus Lupin soon.

I need a Lucius Malfoy fix, so I hope we get to see more of his entire deliciously naughty family.

DTKelly
06-28-2005, 08:55 AM
I'm also hoping we start seeing something confirming that Harry has been suffering from mandrake root poisoning (note the dramatic personality changes in OOP). If this is the case, the big mystery would be who was responsible?

I ascribed these changes to puberty. :Shrug:

My theory all along has been that Harry is going to die in book 7. He is going to have to die in order for Voldemort to die as well-- the two are tied tightly together.

Half blood prince--- no clue.

Christine N.
06-28-2005, 04:12 PM
Ah, but the prophecy only said ONE of them would die. So it'll be Voldemort. Harry will have to kill him, it can't be anyone else.

I see Ron and Hermione hookin' up. And I agree, someone else will die. And I think we'll find out that Snape really despises Harry b/c HE was in love with Harry's mother, and James stole her away.

Who is the Half-Blood Prince?? Krum. Betcha. Krum'll be back, and he'll have to help Harry defeat Voldemort. If Ron doesn't beat the crap out of him.

This is just my opinion.

Sarita
06-28-2005, 10:23 PM
Huh. Krum. I haven't heard that one yet. Nice guess. I think it's Draco. We *think* we know what his mom is about, but we don't really. And we're going to see more of her with Lucius in prison.

I think Patti is right on with Percy taking the fall.

And Tower: I think you're right about Voldemort dying vs. Harry dying, although a lot of people are saying Harry's going to die. Can't wait to see what happens. Less than a month! :)

PattiTheWicked
06-28-2005, 10:54 PM
I ascribed these changes to puberty. :Shrug:

Ah, originally I did too. But then I noticed that Harry became excessively whiny in OOP -- more so than any of the other characters -- and spent a lot of time worrying that people were out to get him. Admittedly, some of them were, but he even turned on his friends at a few points.

While the mandrake restorative draught is particularly handy if you need to revive someone who's been petrified, Rowling also makes a point of mentioning the side effects of mandrake poisoning: excessive personality changes including paranoia.

Rowling is a master of foreshadowing. I think there's more to Harry's moodiness than just teen angst.

PattiTheWicked
06-28-2005, 11:08 PM
Huh. Krum. I haven't heard that one yet. Nice guess. I think it's Draco. We *think* we know what his mom is about, but we don't really. And we're going to see more of her with Lucius in prison.

Narcissa Malfoy is one of the Blacks. She's a cousin of Sirius (and Nymphadora Tonks' aunt) so she's a pureblooded wizard, just like Lucius, which rules Draco out as the Half Blood Prince.

The Longbottoms are also pureblooded, which rules out Neville, who would otherwise have been my first bet. The Weasleys are pure wizard blood as well, so Ron and his brothers can be eliminated as candidates.

Harry is half-blood, since his mother was a Muggle, but Rowling has said publicly that Harry isn't the half blood prince.

Tom Riddle (aka He Who Must Not be Named) is half blood, because Tom Sr. was a Muggle.

Seamus Finnegan and Dean Thomas are also of mixed blood. Seamus' mom is a witch, but I seem to remember that his father didn't figure that out until later on.

I would keep an eye on Dean. In the books, Dean thinks he's muggle-born, but JKR revealed on her website that Dean's biological father was a wizard who was killed when he refused to join the death eaters. His stepfather is a muggle, as is his mother.

Christine N.
06-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Yeah, it's not Tom Riddle either... JKR said so. I'd forgotten about the mandrake side effects. And Patti's right - I don't think it's Draco. There was that big old family tree in Sirius' house that pretty much seals it, unless there's something we don't know.

Sarita
06-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I knew about the Black family tree, but I guess I was thinking there might be something we don't know.

Yes, she is a master at foreshadowing!

Elincoln
06-29-2005, 12:30 AM
I had a theory to Harry's oversensitivity in OOP. Remember he's linked to Voldemort in some way. I think it's just back-feed from the old geezer surfacing in Harry.

Sarita
06-29-2005, 01:07 AM
Interesting theory, Elaine. This is what I love about these books. They really get you thinking. I'm thinking 18 days :) JKR ruled out three people from being the HPB. Harry, Voldy and Hagrid. Anyone else is free game.

Christine N.
06-29-2005, 03:26 AM
Ah, but I've also seen Draco ruled out.. but not completetly. It does have possibilities.

How about.... Snape?? I've never heard ANYTHING mentioned about his family. Or it's whoever they get to be the new Defense of the DA's teacher.

aadams73
06-29-2005, 03:28 AM
And I'm embarrassed to admit that even though I'm old enough to be Cedric Diggory's mom, he just looks delicious.

LOL! I was thinking the same thing.

(so this is where all the Harry Potter buzz is happening! :hi:)

aadams73
06-29-2005, 03:33 AM
"Hi, I'm Patti, and I'm a 36-year-old suburbanite, and I'm addicted to Harry Potter."

<group> Hi, Patti!

Ditto! I've been a drooling idiot foaming at the mouth since I finished the last page on book 5. I'm probably more excited about it than most kids.

Sarita
06-29-2005, 04:45 AM
(so this is where all the Harry Potter buzz is happening! Shhhh, don't tell. I'm being a bad mod. We really should move this sort of thing over to Office Party.

Oh, Christine! I've been mulling the Snape idea around quite a bit. There's something there!

PattiTheWicked
06-29-2005, 05:40 AM
Shhhh, don't tell. I'm being a bad mod. We really should move this sort of thing over to Office Party.

No, no, no. It's thread drift. It happens. We're discussing the influence of mythology in the Harry Potter lexicon.

How about.... Snape?? I've never heard ANYTHING mentioned about his family.

Interesting possibility there, Christine. Definitely worth speculating about. I'd be willing to bet Snape is half-blooded, simply because he doesn't run in the same social circles as the Blacks or the Malfoys.

Or it's whoever they get to be the new Defense of the DA's teacher.

I wonder how I can fill out a job application for Hogwarts....

Elincoln
06-29-2005, 07:20 AM
O.K., I hate to be the devil's advocate and I too thought Snape would be perfect, but...

Voldemort had a thing against half-bloods, remember. All the guys who got those tattoos were pure-bloods. And Snape had a tattoo.

Had anyone thought about Dumbledorf? (I know I spelled it wrong.)

I so wished we could call up J.K. and pick her brain. Not for spoilers, but at how she works her novels to weave all these characters and their different personalities into one another. I'm having problems just getting all my character's straight.

Sarita
06-29-2005, 01:37 PM
But don't we all think that Snape is at least 1/2 vampire? If you don't think that, go back and reread all your Snape appearances. ;) I'm not sure if that would make him 1/2 blood or 1/2 breed to JKR?

Christine N.
06-29-2005, 03:54 PM
There's still Dean and Seamus, but I think it might be Krum.

Actually I had this weird storyline in my head after book 5 (but I dont't write Fanfic). While Sirius was on the run, he got married to some American muggle chick (notice there's never any American students??) and in book six she shows up at Hogwarts... with Sirius's son.

OK, probably not. It was a thought. How about one of the kids in another house? Who's in Ravenclaw that might be eligible?? Justin Finch-Fletchly? HE was petrified in Chamber of Secrets, so he's either Muggle born or half blood. Colin Creevey?? I think that's too strange.

DTKelly
06-29-2005, 04:05 PM
I never heard/thought of Snape as being 1/2 vampire, and since I'm too lazy (no time?) to reread, care to enlighten?

I'm willing to bet the half blood prince will be a new student. Of course, I'm not a good gambler. :ROFL:

Oh, and please answer this-- why, if Snape wants the DA position so badly, it's never given to him? If it was explained, I don't remember (I truly have a horible memory for books.)

loquax
06-29-2005, 04:08 PM
Christine, in your dream, did you happen to play the part of the American muggle?

oneidii
06-29-2005, 05:15 PM
Hi guys! I tracked this thread down from the novels page! I am SO excited to find other (above 15yo) Potter fans! In my online "group", so to say! So First Off:

Hi, Patty! (Giggle)

RE: Percy: Yup, he'd make it if I were running the show. Straight out gonzo. Jo's always said that one of the first three characters (Ron, Hermione or Harry) will croak. Towerkel has an interesting point, I'm afraid. I would like to think that Harry makes it through Book 7, but I dunno.

Did you all see the information on The Sun (british newspaper) about the flurry of bets that Dumbledore bites it in Book 6? What do your twisted minds think of that?

About the Half Blood Prince -- I think Patti is right on the money there, too. But I don't know why--what is so important about Dean? Personally I think it is a little odd that Neville is gaining in his skills so quickly, and while he was not the boy in the prophecy Dumbledore described, something makes me wonder what Neville will end up doing.

Personally I'm a fan of Snape, too (esp. in the movies -- I LUV Alan Rickman, mmmmmrow) but can't figure out why he doesn't get it. Maybe something will surface in Bk Six.

Okay, going back to (slobbery waiting for Book Six) lurking now.

Elincoln
06-29-2005, 07:55 PM
Regarding Snape and why he's not the teacher of the Dark Arts Class.

Snape was once on of Voldemort's followers and knows all about the Dark Arts. When Voldemort was killed by Harry, he was given a second chance by Dumbledore who must see something good in him. I think he sees the errors of his ways, but if he gets the job he wants, there's a chance he'll go back to his old ways and start following Voldemort again. The fact that he is now a spy for the good guys makes me worried. There's a good chance he might get discovered.

Christine N.
06-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Christine, in your dream, did you happen to play the part of the American muggle?

Uh...no, no, of COURSE not... LOL it could be anybody, from anywhere. I just thought it would be a good plot twist. Of course, Sirius would have left some kind of will, and Harry would become Sirius's sons' godfather. See...see, I've thought it all out. AND since the Muggle married Harry's godfather, she becomes Harry's godmother (notice his parents never picked one?) and she gets guardianship of Harry and tells the Dursleys to sod off.

Ah.. I feel better now.

Dumbledore croak? Not until book 7, if at all. And here's one that'll bake your noodle. JK has said on her site that Snape does not have a daughter.

Could he have a (half-blood) son??

Hmmm...

PattiTheWicked
06-29-2005, 10:58 PM
Personally I'm a fan of Snape, too (esp. in the movies -- I LUV Alan Rickman, mmmmmrow) but can't figure out why he doesn't get it. Maybe something will surface in Bk Six.

I adore Alan Rickman... some of my seedier Potterverse fantasies include Rickman, Lucius Malfoy and me in a hot tub full of Jif... Oh, but I digress.

Anyway, I have a theory on why Snape doesn't get the DADA job. Voldemort's supporters don't trust him, because he defected from their side years ago. Dumbledore's crew don't trust him because he was once a Death Eater. My thought is that the whole "wants the DADA position" is a sham.

If Dumbledore had Snape secretly working for him against Voldemort, then one of the best covers they could throw out there would be to indicate that Snape is still interested in the Dark Arts. By not giving him the job, Dumbledore makes it look like HE doesn't entirely trust Snape. Think of Snape as a secret agent of sorts.

In addition, Snape has managed to alienate all the "good guys" from Gryffindor, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw by showing extreme favoritism towards his own House, Slytherin. He always takes Draco Malfoy's side in any conflict between Draco and Harry... and yet he mysteriously manages to turn up when Harry is in need of rescuing.

I think Snape is sort of Harry's guardian, in a weird, scary and batlike form. Eventually, my money is on Snape sacrificing himself to save Harry.

Sarita
06-29-2005, 11:15 PM
I never heard/thought of Snape as being 1/2 vampire, and since I'm too lazy (no time?) to reread, care to enlighten? Yeah, I'll give you a couple quotes when I get home. :) One big one that I can remember is that when Snape had to sub for Lupin's class, he assigned them the essay on Werewolves and as soon as Lupin came back to teach, he assigned the essay on Vampires in front of Snape. Wait! I found one with google:

Yes, Severus does seem the type, doesn't he? So useful to have him swooping around like an overgrown bat. -- Quirrell, Philosopher's Stone

Christine N.
06-29-2005, 11:58 PM
...and his classroom IS in the dungeon. BUT.. in Harry's trip inside the Pensive and Snapes Worst Memory, he was outside after the O.W.L.'s, and if I recall, it was a bright sunny day.

But that's the only time I can recall him being outside during the daytime. He's always skulking the halls at night.

PattiTheWicked
06-30-2005, 03:26 AM
Yes, Severus does seem the type, doesn't he? So useful to have him swooping around like an overgrown bat. -- Quirrell, Philosopher's Stone

An animagus, perhaps?

Christine N.
06-30-2005, 04:02 AM
Yeah, I'll give you a couple quotes when I get home. :) One big one that I can remember is that when Snape had to sub for Lupin's class, he assigned them the essay on Werewolves and as soon as Lupin came back to teach, he assigned the essay on Vampires in front of Snape. Wait! I found one with google:

But why then, since Hermione was SO quick to pick up on Lupin's condition, did she NOT figure out Snape's? Doesn't make much sense - she can't be brilliant one moment and thick the next. Can she?

I still vote for Krum, only because we don't know much about him and he seems the type. He just seemed so .... regal to me. Like a misunderstood slavic prince. You know, good as sports, but so doesn't want to lead? A Hamlet of sorts. Kind of like Harry.

Elincoln
06-30-2005, 05:34 AM
I like Patti's explaination for Snape more than mine.

I not sure Krum would be a good canidate. Maybe we're thinking about this wrong. What if Half-blood doesn't mean in magic terms?

Wait, no. Forget I said anything. That's a bit too out the window.

PattiTheWicked
06-30-2005, 07:05 AM
I like Patti's explaination for Snape more than mine.

I not sure Krum would be a good canidate. Maybe we're thinking about this wrong. What if Half-blood doesn't mean in magic terms?

Wait, no. Forget I said anything. That's a bit too out the window.

Maybe we're all wrong and Dobby the House Elf is the Half Blood Prince.

Christine N.
06-30-2005, 04:15 PM
LOL

Sarita
06-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Maybe we're all wrong and Dobby the House Elf is the Half Blood Prince. This is my sisters prediction. Who knows? 16 days left and we'll know!

An animagus, perhaps? Yes, that's the other way this could go. If he is, you know Dumbledore knows about it ;)

Elincoln
06-30-2005, 10:53 PM
O.K., I combed through Rowlings website and couldn't find anything except rumours. I give up. I think it will be someone new. 16 days? Better place my order to Amazon then.