Boy names becoming girl names - what's next?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
This is a spinoff on the thread about "Emma" as a baby girl name. Someone mentioned that their little boy's name became widely used for girls after he was born. And in fact, the trend is always in that direction - boys names slowly becoming acceptable for girls, or adapted somehow.

So here's the question: What names are next? What boy names will become acceptable girl names in the near future?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I do too.

I dated one redhead--she was beautiful, but the whole passionate redhead thing was too much for me.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Logan's quickly on its way.
I guess so. I know a woman name Logan.

Jo, there is a "boys names for girls" list at Nameberry. This blog is by the one of the authors of Beyond Jennifer & Jason, Madison & Montana. The book was great because it grouped names by type (imports, place names, so far out they're in, so far in they're out, etc.) instead of just listing them alphabetically by gender with some outdated "meaning" attached like 99% of the baby name books out there do.

But I think they realized that baby naming trends move too fast these days for traditional publishing to keep up with, so they started a blog.

It's good that you're paying close attention to what's trending. It's important to know what trend is getting too popular, such as the "last names for everyone" trend of a few years ago, and what's on the verge of being completely played out (Jacob, Madeline - fine names that have been done to death, at least in my area).

And to answer your original question, I think Christopher for a girl's name is the one to watch.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Blurb on the news last night. Thanks to reality tv's nobodies 'Keeping up with the Kardashians" Khloe is now a popular name for girls.

How nice, naming your daughter after a nobody whose claim to fame is being arrested for drunk driving-woo hoo

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I predict Elliot as a girls name, after the girly-girl character from Scrubs. Her story is that her dad wanted a son but got a daughter instead and saddled her with a boy name. It works really well for her though.

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you sc
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
Male names used on girls already(with their nifty female spellings): Jo, Billy, Bobbi, Renee, Erin, Kelli, Dakota, Logan, Frankie, Willie, Freddie, Hugh, Chris, Benny. (And these are just the people I know)

What's next? Mick. I can see it too, especially as a nickname for Michelle.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Male names used on girls already(with their nifty female spellings): Jo, Billy, Bobbi, Renee, Erin, Kelli, Dakota, Logan, Frankie, Willie, Freddie, Hugh, Chris, Benny. (And these are just the people I know)

What's next? Mick. I can see it too, especially as a nickname for Michelle.
Yeah, I've heard Mickie/Mickey/Mitch used for Michelle.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Personally, I think I'd be fine with any guy's name being used for a girl... with one exception. Names that end in "son." We knew some people (barely) who named their girl one of those last names which is now being used as a first name (mostly for boys). I can't remember what it is, but it was one of those 'son' names - Peterson, Thompson, Anderson, whatever. I mean... traditionally those names really do mean "Son of ___." But it's a girl. So... yeah, doesn't work for me.

We don't know what our kid is yet, but if it's a girl I'm contemplating using a boy's name. This is because so far I have not been able to find any girl's name that is not totally overused but has literary/historical merit. I am not naming my girl after hapless damsels who need rescuing. I want her to have a strong name, with strong connotations.