How big is your intended audience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I am just starting out on a project that is aimed at a very distinct market segment: fathers of twins. I have done a wee bit of research and know that about 125,000 twins are born every year, which means that there are about 65,000 new fathers of twins every year.
Now, this is not a huge market but it is an ever-repeating one. My question: how big does a market need to be to interest publishers? Is this one just too small?

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does it have to be just for fathers of twins? Could it be for other male relatives of twins? Or male coaches or teachers of twins? I started to mention maybe it could be for fathers in general but realized you are probably going to focus on events/happenings which involve twins more than singletons. Also, don't forget father's of other multiples, that might raise your readership a bit

good luck.

Nita

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Ritinrider brings up a good point. What about grandfathers of twins? Or any male who bonds with twins? It also depends on what you want to share/tell the audience. If it's a how I survived my first year story, you'd be amazed at how broad your audience might be. But if it's a survival guide for the dads, then I would guess that you're right to narrow the scope to the dads themselves.

Take a look at Twins (Twinz?) magazine's website and see what they have to say in their media kit/advertising info re: their audience. Maybe you'll find some info in there. Don't know if you're familiar with Twinsburg, Ohio but they have a Twins event every year and I bet you could find info on it, and twins, on the Internet. Might find some numbers there.

Also - maybe check books that are already out for twins and look at the acknowledgements section to see who they thank etc. Might be something helpful in there re: the market (as well as agents and publishers and editors who worked on the book).

Good luck.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I actually think this is definite large press material, because there are just as many fathers of twins each PREVIOUS year, who are now fathers of toddlers or adolescents. I think telling a publisher that you've researched this is a selling point, because the publisher will also realize the market potential. Good luck!

Chesher Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheshercat.com
Change a wee bit of research to a ton of research and put together your book proposal with the numbers - making it as broad reaching as you possibly can - and then give them all the ways it can be promoted, such as TV parenting segments (GMA, Today etc), excerpts in parenting mags and, of course, the twin conventions.

Also, important is the five tips fathers of twins will garner from this book.

Food fo thought...will it help with triplets or quads? Are you a father of twins writing from first hand experience? Think "Cheaper By The Dozen" - not every family has twelve kids but the book and resulting movies certainly had a wide appeal.

VOTE_BOT

Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein
Registered
Reaction score
Fathers of twins
Mothers of twins
Twins themselves
Spouses/significant others of twins
Anthropologists
Students of all ilks
Randomly curious

No market is ever reduced to only those with an abiding first-hand interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.