Endearing terms ... capitalize or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cupcake, baby, darlin', sweetheart. In dialogue, are these capitalized like names and nicknames, or left lowercase?

Reaction score
The male MC in my previous book called his lover babe and darlin' all the time and I didn't capitalise.

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, these are in lower-case unless an endearment has taken the form of a nickname and is regularly used in lieu of the person's name.

A personalised pet name, maybe based on a person's given name would be capitalised (damned if I can think of an example- it's late at night here!:) ). Otherwise, just leave it lower-case.

Deleted member 42

Lower case unless they're being treated as a title; Most Exquisite Darling Cupcake of All Time, in which case, technically, they've suddenly become a proper noun, or, of course, they're the first word in a sentence.

Having said that, I notice that in a recent category romance I just downloaded, "Darling" is upper cased every time it's used.

This is *so wrong* I may have to have coffee to recover my equilibrium.

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
Thank you! Very good question. I've wondered it, too. My hero's keep running around calling their sweeties names like 'pumpkin' and other nauseous things. I can't seem to stop them from doing it, so it's nice to know. No caps, huh? I'll remember that.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having said that, I notice that in a recent category romance I just downloaded, "Darling" is upper cased every time it's used.

This is *so wrong* I may have to have coffee to recover my equilibrium.
Maybe "Darling" is like "Lovey" on Gilligan's Island.

Status
Not open for further replies.