YA Zombies to Hit the Big Screen; Kristen Stewart Likely to Star

unicornjam

Registered
Reaction score
Carrie Ryan's young adult zombie novel The Forest of Hands and Teeth has just been sold to Seven Star Pictures, the studio behind Kristen Stewart's upcoming movie K-11.

The novel, which was published in March by Delacorte Books for Young Readers, has been an instant hit with critics and book bloggers. It tells the story of Mary, a girl living in a small village bordered by a fence to keep out the Unconsecrated -- savage zombies intent on destroying the town and everyone in it. Add a little bit of romance and a gutsy female heroin, and you've got a teen thriller to rival Twilight.

Rumor has it that an A-list actress is tipped to star in the movie (could it be Kristen Stewart?), and a first draft of the screenplay is being written as soon as possible. With the popularity of vampires, werewolves, and all things supernatural currently dominating the literary world, it seems book adaptations are the way to go. What could be next? Our money's on Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments trilogy. Somewhere, somebody will be closing a movie deal on that one soon.

http://www.reelzchannel.com/movie-n...the-big-screen-kristen-stewart-likely-to-star

---

YouTube Book Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou1s...1241874000:embedconte&feature=player_embedded

Carrie Ryan's Reaction: http://carrie-me.blogspot.com/2009/05/movie-news.html

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Teen zombies? They spend their time squeezing their spots, writing horrible poetry and moaning about their parents while munching on some brains?

Reaction score
Kristen Stewart's A-list? Since when?

Given the fact she acted like a zombie in Twilight it could be strangely fitting.

unicornjam

Registered
Reaction score
Kristen Stewart's A-list? Since when?

My thoughts exactly. Some small roles plus a major movie does not make an A-lister.

Also, I just recognized Cassandra Clare. That's the Harry Potter fanfiction chick, isn't it? Oh, my.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Um Cassandra Clare is a New York Times bestselling YA author. I don't know if she ALSO did fanfiction, but um here's a list of her work: http://www.cassandraclare.com/cms/works

Kristen Stewart if she isn't already, is on the road to A List and just because she was in a crappy Twilight movie doesn't make her a bad actress. I really like her a lot, she's done a lot of interesting edgy films, and her performance in Adventureland is great. Anyway, my point is, don't worry too much about that rumour, a) it's a rumour, b) if it's true, well it's not such a bad rumour and c) it's unlikely to be true as her starring in another paranormal YA will probably not happen.

Anyway, congrats to Carrie Ryan, that's awesome news!

unicornjam

Registered
Reaction score
Um Cassandra Clare is a New York Times bestselling YA author. I don't know if she ALSO did fanfiction, but um here's a list of her work: http://www.cassandraclare.com/cms/works

Kristen Stewart if she isn't already, is on the road to A List and just because she was in a crappy Twilight movie doesn't make her a bad actress. I really like her a lot, she's done a lot of interesting edgy films, and her performance in Adventureland is great. Anyway, my point is, don't worry too much about that rumour, a) it's a rumour, b) if it's true, well it's not such a bad rumour and c) it's unlikely to be true as her starring in another paranormal YA will probably not happen.

Anyway, congrats to Carrie Ryan, that's awesome news!

I know she's a NYT best seller. I looked up her name because it looked familar and I recognized the fan fic. Never read it, but she generated a lot of drama some years back over it.

But! Let me not derail my own thread, lol. I wanted to post some good news about a writer. I'm checking out her blog right now.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Okay cool, it's just it read like you thought all she was known for was for whatever fanfiction thing happened, when she's clearly got a legitimate right to have films made of her work (like any published author). Especially as she has quite the following.

Red.Ink.Rain

Not your kid brother's YA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristin-briana.livejournal.com
So happy for Carrie. :) I think that'll make a great movie.

And I REALLY want to see the Mortal Instruments made into a movie. I've been waiting for that for years.

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
I absolutely hate Kristen Stewart. :e2smack: Her acting, at least. I guess she could still be a cool person. Why does she keep getting chosen for movies? So many people can act better than she can.

I am happy for Carrie though! I don't know her personally, but I've seen her book around a lot, and I always love seeing YA novels being turned into movies. It gives me confidence in my own endeavors. :p

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I think a lot of people judge her from Twilight, in which many decent actors came across as terrible simply from poor editing and directing (and writing). But fair enough, everyone is allowed their opinion.

I still think she's a lovely actress, and like I already said, check out Adventureland (also Panic Room, when she was much younger, it's a fun film).

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
I just heard about this! So cool. Love love love any way YA becomes more mainstream.

RE: Kristen Stewart, my only problem with her casting is that it's so expected, and in the realm of YA urban fantasy movies, she'll forever be Bella to viewers. The film's already going to be compared to Twilight every which way; might as well cast someone different to set it apart. However, money speaks, and casting Kristen will ensure all the twihard kids flock to theaters, so I do see why they'd cast her (acting skills notwithstanding -- I personally think she's quite good).

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
True. Except no one has said she's been cast. Whoever wrote the article is simply speculating because she's been in Twilight and the company who bought the rights to Forest is the same company that is producing a film that Stewart is in. This is some reporter making some tenuous connection so that she can get more people to check out the article through the Twilight link. This is what internet writers do all the time, the important thing is tag words, so that search engines find your article. You write in that maybe Kristin Stewart will be in the film (with no proof at all), then you tag your article with her name, suddenly all these teeny boppers searching for Twilight will come across your article. The article offers no proof, so before people get all up in arms about the casting, let's look at the facts.

Interesting though, if enough people speculate about something that has no foundation, it could become a self fulfilling prophecy. Honestly though, I'm not sure the actress herself would want to be in another such film. She's quite obviously into indy stuff as well, wants to be respected as a serious actress, I doubt she herself wants to be considered the go-to YA urban fantasy romance chick.

Anyway, the actual fact here is that the book has been optioned and that's awesome. The rest is nothing more than speculation.

Last edited:

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I really like her a lot, she's done a lot of interesting edgy films, and her performance in Adventureland is great.

I was going to mention Adventureland as well. I'm probably in the minority but i think she actually did a pretty good job with Twilight when you consider how underdeveloped the character was.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Okay cool, it's just it read like you thought all she was known for was for whatever fanfiction thing happened, when she's clearly got a legitimate right to have films made of her work (like any published author). Especially as she has quite the following.

I think she's probably equally known for her fanfic both the HP stuff and The Very Secret Diaries.

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
I think the main thing about Kristen for me is that she seems to have almost no emotions. Even when I look at pictures of her, she just looks dead, like she has no personality. But who knows, I guess that would work well for a zombie. :]

I'm not a type to hate on actors, and Kristen is really the only actor in the whole entire acting world that I have a problem with. I just don't understand how a person can have no emotional output whatsoever. Even in the commercials I've seen for Adventureland, she still seems very bland and emotionless.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
unicornjam:
What could be next? Our money's on Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments trilogy. Somewhere, somebody will be closing a movie deal on that one soon.

The option for that was already sold about the time the first book came out - rights are with the Gotham Group, I believe. The issue that I would suspect is making it difficult to put together a greenlight for it is the purported incest element that runs through all three books. Before anyone has a go, I know that the original Star Wars had an incestuous snog, but that was before Luke discovered the truth and it wasn't intrinsic to the plot.

Back on topic though - yay for Carrie Ryan. Always nice to see a lawyer make good. ;)

MM

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I think the main thing about Kristen for me is that she seems to have almost no emotions. Even when I look at pictures of her, she just looks dead, like she has no personality. But who knows, I guess that would work well for a zombie. :]

I'm not a type to hate on actors, and Kristen is really the only actor in the whole entire acting world that I have a problem with. I just don't understand how a person can have no emotional output whatsoever. Even in the commercials I've seen for Adventureland, she still seems very bland and emotionless.

She should probably have been a doctor then.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
I was a little shocked by the incest issue in the mortal instruments but with the movies that are being put out theses day I can't see how it would hold up production. Not when it wasn't an issue in publishing it as a YA.

To me kristen Stewart isn't a great actress, she looks uncomfortable in all her roles. Maybe she will improve but only time will tell.

Can't wait to see the zombie movie, sounds great.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Alitriona:
but with the movies that are being put out theses day I can't see how it would hold up production. Not when it wasn't an issue in publishing it as a YA.

Maybe, but with publishing there isn't a body like the MPAA to tell you who can and cannot see the movie. Personally, I thought it was a silly storyline because the ending's telegraphed from the get-go, but there are some tremendously visual elements to those books that would translate well on a big screen. If someone wants to make it, then they're going to have to make a decision as to how faithful an adaptation they want it to be, which risks alientating some of the fanbase (The Dark Is Rising being an excellent case in point of how to shag up an adaptation with changes).

MM

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
Kristen Stewart is an awful actor, and I am not just basing that off of Twilight (though that is easily her worst performance). Whoever thought shuddering every five seconds and showing absolutely know expression was a form of acting was way off his rocker.

History_Chick

Registered
Reaction score
I cant believe this movie is already being made. It came out in March. I havent read it, its on the TPR pile. But what about Great and Terrible Beauty or something like that? OH well.