Canadian

sirenscall

Registered
Reaction score
I'm Canadian and have been looking into finding an agent in canada and also getting published in Canada. I don't have any real reason other than wanting my book to be "Canadian". Is this overly idealistic, should I be looking to the US as well?

Ms.rachel

Registered
Reaction score
If that is what you want for your book...it is your project. Though more importantly than being Canadian would be being legit and an all around good fit for your project. Everyone has their agent wish list yours just happens to be Canadian, I would suspect though that many of us start with our wish list and expand that as we get feed back.

Good luck!

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to sell more books, I'd be looking at the US market as well. Can-Lit has long been renowned for being overly stuffy and dry. Horribly un-Canuck of me I know, but I've yet to find a Can-Lit author I enjoy (I don't include Jack Whyte in there, btw). Sure you may be able to get a profile spot on CBC's Writer's & Co, or maybe DNTO if you're that funky and cool, but I'll bet with almost no promo, you'll still sell more books south of the border. And doing that doesn't make you, or your book, any less Canadian.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I wrote a blog entry sort of on this topic. Well not about this precise issue, kind of almost the opposite, about Canadians looking for lit agents abroad. But I do address a bit the Canadian literary scene. You of course are free to do as you please, if you want to stay within Canada, no one's stopping you! I know a lot of Canadian authors who do just that and are quite content.

Anyway, here's the article if you are at all interested: http://ididntchoosethis.blogspot.com/2009/04/agents-abroad.html