What's better? "Ex-Sex" or "Make-up Sex"?

What's better? "Sex with an Ex" or "Make Up" sex after a fight.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Mods, feel free to move this.

So - I'm working on a scene in a romantic comedy screenplay, and two guys are arguing about what is better" "Sex with an ex" or "Make - up" sex after a fight. Then their respective girlfriends come in, and take opposing sides. (Theres a plot development in there - trust me)

So - looking for men and women's take on this. You can certainly PM me off list to give me any gory details ;)

(I'd make a poll of this, if I could figure out how...)

askcb

If in doubt, mumble
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. I could never, not in a million years, sleep with an ex. I don't know how people do it. Once it is over for me it is seriously over. On the other hand--make-up sex? ;) Now that's good stuff.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I've never had makeup sex (never fought enough with a significant other to warrant it), and I'm allergic to pecans, so that rules out the pecan pie in the poll...

Gonna have to say ex-sex. :D This includes "Well, we're through, but how about one more for the road?", "Hmm...you're here, I'm here...wanna?", and "Before we even consider getting back together, let's..." (The first two were sizzling hot, the last one...not so much)

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Ugh. I could never, not in a million years, sleep with an ex. I don't know how people do it. Once it is over for me it is seriously over. On the other hand--make-up sex? ;) Now that's good stuff.

Ditto!!

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

What she said.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
I could put the pecan pie as an 'after sex' after-thought I suppose. Don't let the Bluebell melt.

Okay the scenarios of "One last time since we're breaking up" - is not QUITE the 'after fight' sex scenario. I have my characters discussing the "I dropped by to pick up my stuff, didn't realize you were here...you look really good today..."

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I'd like to go on record confirming that as a Texan, I feel that pecan pie and Blue Bell ice cream are both great things.

However, I must also say that after one of my past relationships, the ex sex was much better than the actual relationship sex. Go figure.

Edit: And I'll never do it again.

Last edited:

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
Pecan Pie and Bluebell... or sex. Man, it's always a tough choice.

(And for those who've never been to the 'little creamery in Brenham' - I have nothing but pitty. Their motto is "We eat all we can, and sell all the rest.")

I'd have to say in my lifetime, I have more experience with "Make Up" than "EX" - And I think statistically one is more likely to have MORE 'Make up' over a lifetime I suppose. Perhaps "EX-SEX" is a phenomenom more common to younger couples, while 'Makeup' is going to be more common to older, monogamous couples?

You can see what I'm struggling with in writing this scene, is remembering what it's like to be twenty five and 'swinging'. Or rather, what it's like to be twenty five NOW. What's the same, what's different.

Reaction score

Because it's there, it's familiar, it's easier than going out and finding someone new if all you want is to get off.

I've never had makeup sex (never fought enough with a significant other to warrant it), and I'm allergic to pecans, so that rules out the pecan pie in the poll...

Gonna have to say ex-sex. :D This includes "Well, we're through, but how about one more for the road?", "Hmm...you're here, I'm here...wanna?", and "Before we even consider getting back together, let's..." (The first two were sizzling hot, the last one...not so much)

I've never had make-up sex either. But I've had ex-sex. It made me feel still-desired by someone who'd dumped me. He wanted it to carry on. I didn't. It was like, "I'm over you, so this is my chance to fuck you out of my system and then walk away."

I did. He kept calling. The sex was 'meh'. Perfect way to get over someone. An orgasm or three, and sweet revenge.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Hm. I can't really think of an instance of either, but I've got a "one for the road" memory that still gives me tingles. 15 years later.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
Well, now that I'm reading this, and still working on that scene - I might have come up with an answer to the scene - that works well in the plotpoint.

"One for the Road" - probably should have been a selection. You're 'breaking up' - perhaps you've just had a fight. It's over. But we're going to have one more for the road - then part company. Does that count as "Breakup/MakeOut" ??? So are they officially an "Ex" if the breakup happened two minutes ago?

Hmmm... that might be an interesting point to put into the discussion. "You're not really an 'ex' till you've moved out." or "You have to LEAVE the room, and come back in to be an Ex" - Yeah, there's some comedy gold in this one.

Thank's y'all

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I'm going with the make up sex. My husband and I don't fight often, but when we do - yikes. Two passionate, heated up over whatever's pissing us off makes for some GREAT make up sex. :D

Ex sex? I've never done it. When I was done with someone, that was it. I moved on. Besides, for me, the first indication that the relationship was close to an end was when I realized I'd rather clean than have sex with them anyway. :D

Last edited:

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the ex, and what the breakup was like, but reconnecting with someone, esp after a long time can be very powerful.

Very true. You see, the only way you can have ex-sex is if that sex was spectacular.

I've never had so-so ex-sex. So-so is not enough incentive to overcome whatever broke you up to begin with.

But if the sex was good, now you have enough chemistry to overcome whatever broke you up. Then there is the fact that it is Taboo. And of course, you know how to push the other's buttons and the sex turns into a war of who could make the other scream more...

Ex-sex is great, guilt free (if done right), safe, and no strings attatched

For those of you who've never had ex-sex. I suggest you get a sex book and study up on your techniques :)

Mel...

p.s. I will add the cavaet, if the relationship ended with all out nuclear war, then you are probably not going to have ex-sex. But if the relationship was more of a mutual ending, then the door for ex-sex is open.

Last edited:

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
Make-up sex with an ex can be a heady and addictive pursuit, if extremely ill-advised! There are so many unresolved emotions that a reconciliation (however brief) is intense (so much so that it deserved italics!) There is so much you still want to prove to yourself about the validity of the relationship, the "correctness" of your choice in partner and your attractiveness. This is especially true if you're in any way stubborn (not that I am, of course!)

In my less sensible days, I followed this pattern with a totally unsuitable boy (and I mean boy, he has yet to grow up) for about a year. We would break up and make up every few weeks. Fortunately, I have since gotten sense but the lure was almost irresistible for a long time after. So, yeah- there's my overly complex two cents!:D

Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I am just old... but finding a relly good pie is hard. So I will take a good pie and ice cream. You can get sex anytime. You can always start a fight just to make up. SO my choice is based on how rare they are and how long the pleasure lasts...

Pie and ice cream wins.

Reaction score
Maybe I am just old... but finding a relly good pie is hard. So I will take a good pie and ice cream. You can get sex anytime. You can always start a fight just to make up. SO my choice is based on how rare they are and how long the pleasure lasts...

Pie and ice cream wins.

I wish someone would send me a male-order catalogue then. I live in a town where...let's just say the men ain't purdy.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, some great insight here, thanks - especially to the ladies. I'll be mining it for use in the scene, for sure!

Home-made pecan pie, made with papershell pecans, picked up in the first windfall. Add kentucky bourbon to the mix. Bluebell Homemade vanilla - worth importing from Texas-No Joke. It always marked the border between the long hot gulfcoast summer, and the beginning of fall... One of the few things I miss now that I'm living in NorCal.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I had to pick pie. Make up sex never works for me because we're both brooders after an argument (turning things over, thinking about how to have better said what we said/yelled, etc.) And sex just doesn't seem right becuase it's on the other end of the emotional spectrum (ooohh yeahhh instead of is-that-a-knife-in-your-pocket?)

And I have no exes. (But I can't imagine I would ever be able to have ex-sex anyway. When I'm done with someone, I'm you-don't-exist-to-me done.)

Interesting. Going back to lurking and reading what other people say regarding this world that is as foreign to me as city life...

smcc360

I've Got An MFA In LEO
Registered
Reaction score
Sex is like pizza. Sicilian or Neapolitan, thin crust or deep-dish, New York or Chicago, brick oven or microwave: It's still good, whatever kind it is.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com