PDA

View Full Version : Book signings

cooeedownunder
05-09-2009, 01:53 AM
In a couple of hours I have a book signing thing happening at our local shopping centre. Although I've done several out of the area, I found last night I could not sleep because of it, so now I have bags and dark lines under my eyes. I can live with that, but my problem I think is I like being anonymous, which I guess comes from being extremely shy when younger.

Because I live in a small town, well not really small, you don't know everybody, but you often run into the same people at the shops, school, and other places and they are familiar although I know nothing of them. I feel very intimidated by the thought of people I see every week but don't speak to, possibly speaking to me, or beign forced to speak to them. Why I don't know. The other people are those that I say, hi, bye, often in my tracky dacks - cause its windy often, I often have bad hair days, and normally this doesn't bother me. This should be an advantage, but I feel very uncomfortable today.

I wonder how many of us get uncomfortable where they live, on these occassions but not elsewhere?

Have a nice day guys.

Cheers.

Wayne K
05-09-2009, 01:56 AM
Yay for you Cooee.

When you speak you have to picture me in my underwear. I read that it helps somewhere.

Seaclusion
05-09-2009, 01:59 AM
Well Cooee, it looks like you're going to be a minor celebrity in your small town. It's not that bad. I used to write a column for a small local paper and my picture was included with the column and wherever I went someone invariably would recognize me and coment on a column I had written or offer suggestions for future columns. It wasn't that bad, but I did have to be a little more polite than the average anonamous person.

Richard

cooeedownunder
05-09-2009, 02:27 AM
Yay for you Cooee.

When you speak you have to picture me in my underwear. I read that it helps somewhere.

:ROFL: I might imagine that your spartan avi man is standing beside me - although I dislike Mr Crow, well that is a bit harsh, I don't know him, but well I have never understood why woman dribble over him - but yes, back to the topic, I could imagine you in your underwear -that leaves my choices open on what you would look like ;)

Hey, where is Crays horrible avi?

cooeedownunder
05-09-2009, 02:30 AM
Well Cooee, it looks like you're going to be a minor celebrity in your small town. It's not that bad. I used to write a column for a small local paper and my picture was included with the column and wherever I went someone invariably would recognize me and coment on a column I had written or offer suggestions for future columns. It wasn't that bad, but I did have to be a little more polite than the average anonamous person.

Richard

Funny you mentioned being polite - I was racking my brain trying to think of anyone I may have been not nice to, fortunately I am normally just nice, but I am very impaitient in cues in shops and have voiced by opinion on the service at times.

Mmmm, they will working in other shops.

Wayne K
05-09-2009, 02:36 AM
Someone repped me that you're supposed to picture the entire audience in their underwear. But why would you do that?

MaryMumsy
05-09-2009, 02:38 AM
You'll do fine. Just remember, you have accomplished something (having a book in its second printing) none of the others there have done. Good luck and have fun.

MM

cooeedownunder
05-09-2009, 02:58 AM
Someone repped me that you're supposed to picture the entire audience in their underwear. But why would you do that?

To get the group involved ;)

GJB
05-09-2009, 03:03 AM
You'll do great. They all come to celebrate with you, and to meet the author. But I know what you mean about living in a small city--easier to hide in a big one, and sometimes hide is all we want to do. g.

Wayne K
05-09-2009, 03:03 AM
To get the group involved ;)

I think I see where you're going with this.:D

Wayne K
05-09-2009, 03:05 AM
Should I slip into Colin Farrel for the occasion?

ETA: Does he look wasted or what?

Wayne K
05-09-2009, 03:22 AM
For anyone who wants to retort "Or what?" I've already considered that answer and dismissed it.

cooeedownunder
05-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Are thanks guys - well, only one book sold today - but well they have sold 10 of them the past week, and I met people who had brought it, well they said they did lolol and some very nice people. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Wine time now :D

cooeedownunder
05-10-2009, 01:17 AM
Sounds like it went well, coo. I just wanted to pipe in and let you know I do understand your preferrence to remain anonymous in the community where you live. I feel the same.
I haven't had a book published, hence I haven't had to appear at a book signing in my community or anywhere else... but when the time arrives, I'm guessing making an appearance in my local community will surely set my nerves on edge.
*hugs* to you that it went well.

Thanks MsK,

Yes, it did set the nerves on fire. Last year an article went into the local paper and I had people say were you in the paper? and I my face most certainly went red. One of those people walked up to me yesterday, and said, Hello Sharon. I couldn't for the life remember where I had spoken to her, as it worked out I have been numerous times at the liquore barn, she owns it - and I said, sh.... lolol