First time author question.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
In my experience it was at the end of the process (both times). But I don't think it really matters that much. Just as long as it gets there before first galleys. That's the same for the dedication page, and sometimes the index, but many houses have professional indexers to take care of that problem.

Triceratops

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
At about the time that your publishers are sorting out the prelims, which is often the last thing they get to before sending it out to the printers. They should contact you about it.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it was a dumb question. I was kinda wondering that myself.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
I've got another question, this one I don't think is quite so dumb.

In my query I projected my book to be roughly 100k words. Upon editing some irrelevant to the story parts, I am not projecting closer to 75k. Is this going to be frowned upon, or will it even be noticed?

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
OneTeamOneDream said:
I've got another question, this one I don't think is quite so dumb.

In my query I projected my book to be roughly 100k words. Upon editing some irrelevant to the story parts, I am not projecting closer to 75k. Is this going to be frowned upon, or will it even be noticed?

To answer your first question, your publisher will remind you to turn in your acknowledgments (or they'll say something like, 'hurry up and send in any acknowledgments, dedication, etc., so we can get this to the printer").
As far as the word count, if you get an offer from a publisher they'll stipulate an agreed-upon word count. So if you're just querying and the book is fewer words than you originally anticipated, I wouldn't worry about it.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
Nomad said:
To answer your first question, your publisher will remind you to turn in your acknowledgments (or they'll say something like, 'hurry up and send in any acknowledgments, dedication, etc., so we can get this to the printer").
As far as the word count, if you get an offer from a publisher they'll stipulate an agreed-upon word count. So if you're just querying and the book is fewer words than you originally anticipated, I wouldn't worry about it.

I sent out one query and got an immediate (within 3 days) request for full MS. So I have not queried anyone else, and from things that have been said this publisher is eagerly anticipating this, so I wasn't sure if the word count being different would affect that.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
OneTeamOneDream said:
I sent out one query and got an immediate (within 3 days) request for full MS. So I have not queried anyone else, and from things that have been said this publisher is eagerly anticipating this, so I wasn't sure if the word count being different would affect that.

I doubt it would affect it--and if it's not long enough, they'll come up with some ideas to include more content. Good luck! Keep us posted.
Lauri

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
Nomad said:
I doubt it would affect it--and if it's not long enough, they'll come up with some ideas to include more content. Good luck! Keep us posted.
Lauri

Another first timer question.

Since I've made my last post on this thread, I've had request for MS from two other publishers.

When I send the MS, should the cover letter state that other publishers are reviewing the ms as well?

Thanks.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
OneTeamOneDream said:
Another first timer question.

Since I've made my last post on this thread, I've had request for MS from two other publishers.

When I send the MS, should the cover letter state that other publishers are reviewing the ms as well?

Thanks.

Thta's some hot ms there!! Good for you and keep us posted...

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
Perks said:
Thta's some hot ms there!! Good for you and keep us posted...

We'll see. I hope so. Atleast my query got attention, but I'm sending them out Thursday, and writing my cover letters tonight. I just wonder if, like literary agents, I need to inform them about each other.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
This is a good topic and you have some good advice from everyone. I don’t think I can add much more other than, my inspiration on starting a novel has come from perhaps a word spoken, or something I had seen somewhere, and even from my dreams.