Boss and Enemy : Tactics and AI

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarcanus

Lord of the Tarcans
Registered
Reaction score
After pondering the various action/adventure games I've played, and having the Legend of Zelda Series topic bring it back to the front of my brain:

What does everything think of the current state of boss and enemy AI and how they do or do not have their own tactics to beat you, the player?

Not to attack the LoZ, but it is a huge offender, in my mind, on having bosses and enemies that have consistent attack patterns that, once you figure them out(and lets be honest, it's not hard to figure them out), you never have a problem with that enemy/boss ever again(even if 'ever again' is for the remainder of the battle).

The best bosses I have come across in my gaming days are RPG bosses. They tend to attack the weakest party member, or try to disable the party with negative statuses, etc. in an attempt to make it easier to take the PC party down.

Now, I understand programming AI is difficult and takes a great deal of processor power, but I'm hoping game AI, especially for bosses, moves toward a paradigm where the boss reacts to the player's actions. If you are charging an attack and don't hide yourself using terrain or whatnot, the boss won't get close. The boss will try to 'guess' your actions: as in, perhaps the fight takes place in a cavern and the boss weakens some stalactites so later in the battle they will fall where you'll probably run. If you wield its weakness against it, it tries to use terrain more to its advantage and keep it between the PC and itself.

Perhaps I'm asking for too much, though.

Feel free to throw your opinions around in here, folks. If I didn't make myself clear at all, I'm sure I'll be back to clarify.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, the enemies in Crysis behaved fairly intelligently...but that dose not help the fact that you're in power armor, have heavy weapons, and can turn invisible... and they have what amounts to 80s era machine guns and harsh language..

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
What does everything think of the current state of boss and enemy AI and how they do or do not have their own tactics to beat you, the player?

In a lot of the games I play, the AI is so deadly that I have to use quite a number of tricks even to survive. Fortunately, I generally set up the scenarios myself. For example:

Fun tips for Jutland (http://www.stormeaglestudios.com/public/html/se_jutland_v2.html

1) Don't play the campaign game or any canned battles (too big, too, long too dull, too confusing)
2) In a tactical scenario Mix and match ships:
Put the armored cruisers on the German Side
and put a German Battlecruiser or two on your (RN of course) side
3) Use the Armada of RN predreadnoughts as bait
4) Up the accuracy over all so that the Splendid Cats (and not just the Queen Mary) can get some hits
5) Start the battle just before sunrise so that the RN DDs can close for a very disruptive torpedo attack
6) Once the sun is up, have all 9 RN ships with 15-inch guns ready to close rapidly from extreme range
7) Be ready to use the torpedoes on the RN BCs when they cross the T of the High Seas Fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.