So, apparently I'm a moron.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Not only did I place into a class of idiots (ie. middle school algebra), I didn't pass the first time. I got a D.

This time I got a C.

I feel really, really stupid. What kind of moron can't pass middle school algebra?!?

I am very upset right now. I mean, it won't count toward my GPA, but you still gotta pay.

I guess I should just pray that the professor have mercy (I got a 78% on the final and a 70% on the class), or something. But I don't know what I'm going to tell my mom, because I told her I would pass (I really thought I would get an A on the final).

My professor KNOWS I worked hard on this exam.

So maybe she'll still pass me.

Or maybe I'm just stupid, that's always the (probably correct) answer.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But a C is passing. It means "average". Not stupid, not vast amounts of suckatude. It means you passed the class--unless school's gotten very very strange since I last attended. But, then, my employer will still reimburse me expenses if my daughter pulls a C in a class, so I'm just really confused.

Some people are really good at math, including algebra. Some people (like me) can barely manage to balance their checkbooks while they're really good at other things (like English). Doesn't mean you're stupid. Stop beating yourself up for it.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
But a C is passing. It means "average". Not stupid, not vast amounts of suckatude. It means you passed the class--unless school's gotten very very strange since I last attended. But, then, my employer will still reimburse me expenses if my daughter pulls a C in a class, so I'm just really confused.

Some people are really good at math, including algebra. Some people (like me) can barely manage to balance their checkbooks while they're really good at other things (like English). Doesn't mean you're stupid. Stop beating yourself up for it.

You had to have an 80% to pass.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
It took me twice to pass Algebra. I'm not a moron, just math impaired.

Oddly, 20 years later, (after 20 years of using almost no studied math) I aced binary first time through.

Hang in there, my friend. One field of weakness does not a moron make.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Man, that bites, Project. 80% is really a high mark to use as a passing grade. If it were like that when I went to school, 3/4 of the kids wouldn't pass, including me. I think you did well. Keeping fingers crossed for you.

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
Don't beat yourself up too bad. My daughter (15) is a HS fresh, and she brought home 27 F's in algebra this semester. AND five incompletes! She had to almost be TRYING to fail, though insists that she wasn't. Of course. But, somehow, she still manged to wrangle a D out of the semester, and she will pass onto the next class, credits intact.

Your school really sucks. But at least you gave it great effort.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I had the worst time with Algebra. However, I sailed through Geometry. I think it has to do with the way you learn things. You are not dumb by any means. The ways of teaching math are a bit archaic and many (NOT ALL) math teachers know their subject really well, but are not skilled at ways to convey the information to students who are perhaps more 'right brained'. Focus on your strengths. (Which was why I majored in English)

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I took algebra in my freshman year and had a problem with the teacher (who told me, in front of the class, no less, that no matter what I did, I wouldn't pass his class. He was a real A-hole), I got a tutor, got a D, and we celebrated.

Geometry in my sophomore year , a good teacher, who also tutored me. I got a D. We celebrated.

Fast forward to college - I tested so low on the placement test, I was put in remedial algebra (no credit toward graduation) - I got a tutor. It was a pass/fail thing, I passed.

Take notice of the pattern.

I'm a math idiot because at the same time, I was failing freshman algebra, I was in AP English classes and the district's gifted program. You aren't a moron or an idiot or stupid or anything - math just isn't your thing. It isn't everyone's.

My advice? Get a tutor. Now. Trust me. It WILL help. And it doesn't have to cost a fortune, either. Even if it's just a friend who's really good at math can help. Sometimes it's not you, but the person teaching. Trust me.

Would I lie????

{{{HUGS}}} I feel your pain. Really.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
((Hugs)) I absolutely sucked at algebra. Sucked. I just couldn't get my head around plugging all those arbitrary numbers into those equally arbitrary masses of letters and math signs. Even my mom, who's a retired accountant and better with numbers than I'll ever be, hated algebra. (I was Regents or Honors in everything in high school - except math. I was dropped to the lowest level for that.)

Strangely enough, though, I did really well when I took physics (which was a desperate attempt to avoid having to take chemistry - whole other story.) In that class, it wasn't just random alphanumeric soup - there, it was formulas. You had to know what each part represented, what it did, why it did what it did and why you did what you did to get the answer. Which, being more of a narrative, made sense for me.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
With math, if you're not very strong in the math-brain, you'll need a GOOD teacher to work with you. Algebra can be tricky and some people really do have trouble working with it. Some people can't sing either, and they're not stupid because of it.

It's not just a good teacher that's necessary, but one that can explain it in a way you understand. Project, how do you do on homework assignments? Do you have practice questions where you can see how well you're understanding things? (I also suggest goggling for places online that have practice questions that you can get immediate feedback on-- see if you know what you're doing.)

I struggled forever with Trig until I stopped listening to the teacher, gritted my teeth and taught myself. I just couldn't get what the teacher was saying and how to work the problems. I'd made it TO Trig, obviously, but something wasn't clicking with her explanations and the way my brain processes math.

Ironically, I had few problems with Algebra. I'm not fast with mental math, but I can work my way though it. I struggled so bad with Geometry... and still do when the kids ask me Geometry questions (we use an online course content delivery system to help add classes that don't have enough students for a class and teacher, and I oversee this lab of independently working students.) A lot of people I know said Geometry was easy for them, but Algebra was hard. It really depends on the student.

And as far as I'm concerned, if there's more letters in your problem than numbers, that's just wrong. :D

Best of luck Nacho. And what's middle school in one school is not middle school in another. When I was in middle school, no teacher taught Algebra... there weren't any students to take it, allegedly. (But then again, all students started in one of two basic math courses... but I'm really, really, biased against the level of education offered in that school district. Part of the whole thing where I dropped out and got my GED after 2.5 years of high school)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Every mind works differently. Don't sweat it. I have a brother like that...can do everything better than me...but blew it at math. I could sleep through class and get A+...it's not always about how hard you try...some minds are better made for math than others. Maybe if you work closely with a tutor...or someone who is willing to teach you another way. There are so many tricks to math...some people just don't get it and don't get it and then someone comes along and says, "Have you ever looked at it this way?" and suddenly it all seems to make sense. Don't beat yourself up over it.

roonil_wazlib

Smile.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
earlymorningfog.tumblr.com
Don't beat yourself up about it, Project. I failed Elementary Algebra (that's the equivalent of 8th/9th grade algebra) four times before I finally passed. Everytime I failed it, I had been in a class of over twenty-five other students. The last time I took it, I was at a technical university and there were only three other people in the class with me.

Math is impossible for some of us. Look at it this way - you're in good company!

:D

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
If you're hopeless at math screw it, just pass--Find out what you're good at-if it's something you love cool- and push everything else aside.

Maybe you're a writer.

ETA: you'll need math to write too, so scratch above suggestion and study harder.

Math was easier for me when I started picturing the numbers as money.

Last edited:

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
ETA: you'll need math to write too, so scratch above suggestion and study harder.

Math was easier for me when I started picturing the numbers as money.

Um. I don't need math to write.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
When I wrote my first book in 1979 I actually did.

It was kind of fun.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I(1) used(2) to(3) just(4) put(5) the(6) word(7) count(8) beside(9) each(10) word(11), so(12) that(13) I(14) could(15) keep(16) track(17).

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
This last year I took two college courses for math, Pre-Algebra and Elementary Algebra. I did them through an online course through the community college. It logged the amount of hours it takes to complete the course. My professor emailed me to tell me he was proud of me for trying so hard. It took me twice as many hours to learn these concepts than other students. I got a B for Pre-Algebra and an A- for Elementary Algebra.

It was the worst two semesters of my life with me about giving up on college altogether. Want to see me break down and cry hysterically, just remind me I have two more math classes to get through for my degree. OH man! I just had to remind myself.

*runs off sobbing hysterically*

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
I think what I might do is try and see if I can't take another placement test.....:D