Predicting the next Movie Fad?

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
So,

I watched X-Men: Wolverine Origins the other day. It was o.k., prompting the discussion with Maestro about Comic Book movies starting to come to an end. We think that a collapse is inevitable.

Looking back, Hollywood must have made 3 - 4 Billion on this wave and they will probably make another Billion before the collapse.

So Get your crystal balls and start prognosticating.

What will come next?

What will be the next fad?

Or do you think we are stuck with Comic Book Movies and Remakes for the next decade

Mel...

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I hope we're stuck with them for the next decade. :) Comic book movies and remakes are films that I always get excited about and want to see. There aren't really many other films that do that to me any more. I pretty much always enjoy them and buy them. That adventure and childhood fun and imagination factor they have is a good thing, for me, and I'm happy with whatever they want to try!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I predict the next big trend will be films based on films that were based on graphic novels that were based on comics that were based on a combination of Japanese legends and Disney characters.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Bromances. With the success of Pineapple Express and now I Love You, Man, I think the bromance is gonna be big. No longer will it be disguised as a cop buddy movie (lethal weapon) but be about the relationship between the guys. I Love You, Man was a great movie. I think there will be more great ones and plenty of horrid ones, with a few unintentially homoerotic ones thrown in (or will they be unintentional? I believe the makers of Top Gun knew exactly what they were doing with the volleyball scene)

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The Starcraft movie will be made and instantly make so much money, people's brains will explode from how much money it makes.

And then shall begin the era of Video Game Movies Taken Seriously (As the last era has been Comic Book Movies Taken Seriously)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think they're gonna keep milking the remake of 1980s toy lines trend for a good while longer. When the live action My Little Ponies movie comes out, I shall declare that trend deceased. Also the boring unfunny white man-child comedy genre will keep kicking (as epitomized by anything with Michael Cera in it). I think there are going to continue to be more and more movies based on kids books, picture books and middle grade and young adult novels.

Oh yeah! And I think they're going to go for a bunch of biography movies, but they aren't blockbusters so they won't make as much money.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Not a big movie fan (though with all the hype and good review, I MIGHT go see Star Trek. After the crowds have thinned out), but here' my two cents based on others' comments:
I predict the next big trend will be films based on films that were based on graphic novels that were based on comics that were based on a combination of Japanese legends and Disney characters.
Astro Boy meets Mickey Mouse?
I think they're gonna keep milking the remake of 1980s toy lines trend for a good while longer.
A Rubik's Cube movie?

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Shh! Don't say it aloud! When you see RUBIKS 2015! The Movie! You will have NO ONE TO BLAME BUT YOURSELF!

hmmm well since ridley scott is making a Monopoly movie and there's going to be a ouija board movie and there's rumblings of a snakes and ladders movie, could a rubik's cube movie be far behind? (chutes and ladders? would they use the old name of the new name? what's wrong with snakes anyway?)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
They're going to make live action of anime (especially the ones from the 70s and 80s). Oh sure, Speed Racer sucked and bombed, but there are so many other worthy ones to be made. Robotech would be a great one, now that Star Trek is alive again. They already did Dragonball. I can certainly see a trend.

I also think Bromance is a new trend, especially the gross-out bromance. Sort of a mix of Superbad/40-year-old Virgin and I Love You, Man, with a romcom thrown in. You get the female audience for sure, and also the guys who are comfortable enough to see two men hug. I can see a JT and Turk (from Scrubs) bromance in the works.

As for special effect stuff, everything comes in cycle. I think disaster movies are coming back after a short decade of hibernation. They need to find a good one and not crap like The Core.

I don't think superhero movies are done yet. We still have Iron Man, Green Hornet, and now Deadpool coming out. But I definitely see fatigue.

Oh, and sci-fi/space stuff such as Star Trek is back -- or did they ever go away?

Last edited:

History_Chick

Registered
Reaction score
Graphic Novel movies (which will give me hope that mine makes it to the big screen)

Retro toy movies. If Transformers does well, and GI kicks butt, then He-Man might not be a dream but a reality. Then who know what else we could see. Although if both tank then that kills that whole 80s thing.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
The Starcraft movie will be made and instantly make so much money, people's brains will explode from how much money it makes.

And then shall begin the era of Video Game Movies Taken Seriously (As the last era has been Comic Book Movies Taken Seriously)

I think you are really onto something. Video games are now making more money than movies. Halo 3 and Grand Theft Auto 4 beat out most movie openings for their respective years.

I think they're gonna keep milking the remake of 1980s toy lines trend for a good while longer. When the live action My Little Ponies movie comes out, I shall declare that trend deceased.

God help us when that happens. I'll keep my cyanide capsules ready

They're going to make live action of anime (especially the ones from the 70s and 80s). Oh sure, Speed Racer sucked and bombed, but there are so many other worthy ones to be made. Robotech would be a great one, now that Star Trek is alive again. They already did Dragonball. I can certainly see a trend.
......Oh, and sci-fi/space stuff such as Star Trek is back -- or did they ever go away?

If Robotech the Movie came out, I'd have no choice but watch it over and over until the reels melted.

But the one problem with the above strategies and direction Hollywood is going, is that they don't plant many seeds for future harvesting.

Granted, enough of us grew up with comics, cartoons, video games, and or the original shows... so all these remakes are relatively new and fresh and leverage our childish ties.

But what happens when you have nothing to remake, that is, everything has been rehashed so many times that there was never an original?

Perhaps we have decade's worth of fodder to remake, but eventually, the well will run dry and remakes will lose their once novel appeal.

Mel...

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Video game movie: Max Payne bombed. Doom bombed. So unless they do something well and actually pay attention to the story and writing, I don't see video game movies are going anywhere. I think this remains an area where playing the game is always going to be far more entertaining than a movie.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Video game movie: Max Payne bombed. Doom bombed. So unless they do something well and actually pay attention to the story and writing, I don't see video game movies are going anywhere. I think this remains an area where playing the game is always going to be far more entertaining than a movie.

But Dragonball bombed, too. We'll see what happens when Tron comes out.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Now if they start making movies based on toys from the sixties, I'll be there for the Suzy Homemaker movie featuring the oven, blender, the dishes, the beaters, and the mixes.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
That'd do it.

I also had some toy that basically consisted of a plastic ankle and foot strap attached to a cord with a ball on the end that you did some sort of skip move to swing the cord and ball around one ankle and skipped over it with the other foot when it came back around.

I can't remember what it's called, but I remember begging for that stupid little toy and when I finally got it, I wasn't coordinated enough to do it, got mad and threw it under the house.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That'd do it.

I also had some toy that basically consisted of a plastic ankle and foot strap attached to a cord with a ball on the end that you did some sort of skip move to swing the cord and ball around one ankle and skipped over it with the other foot when it came back around.

I can't remember what it's called, but I remember begging for that stupid little toy and when I finally got it, I wasn't coordinated enough to do it, got mad and threw it under the house.

SKIP-IT!

But the very best thing of all!
There's a...counter on this ball!
So try to beat your very best score!
See if you can jump a whole lot more!
Skip it! Skip it! Come on everybody skip it!

Yeah, worst movie idea ever.

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping this doesn't happen, but I can see paranormal romance riding a big wave in the next few years. With the success of Twilight and the "maturing" of Harry Potter I anticipate these type of movies will spike in number.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'm hoping this doesn't happen, but I can see paranormal romance riding a big wave in the next few years. With the success of Twilight and the "maturing" of Harry Potter I anticipate these type of movies will spike in number.

Don't forget the over-40 romance: Sex and the City, Mama Mia, Last Chance Harvey, Night in Rodanthe...

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score

So close!

Skip-it came out in the 80s, I think. The one I'm thinking of is from the 60s.

I think the Skip-a-Roo is the one: It's described like the one I had with the red ball on the end. I just can't find any examples of the Skip-a-Roo online.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
But Dragonball bombed, too. We'll see what happens when Tron comes out.

That's what I said... I think video game movies have a long way to go to become mainstream. But it's not like they're not still trying... but almost every one of them bombed so far.

Anime, on the other hand... I think the Transformers changes the game. I think Robotech would make a GREAT series, Battlestar Galactica style.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I think the video game movies bombed because they tried to hard to make a Video Game Movie instead of making a Movie 'based' on a Video game.

Mel...