PDA

View Full Version : how long should I wait

bkwriter
05-07-2009, 11:06 AM
I found a website on the AW home page and filled out info so that the publisher could send me info on their editing wadges. I recieved a call from Trofford publishing and she left me a message asking me to return her call so I called her back and left my cell number but hadn't heard back yet. I'ts been about five days. Should I call her back, leave another message. What do you think?

Nick

dgiharris
05-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Sorry,

Not sure I understand your question. Did you call a publisher to ask how much they charge for editing services?

that is, you want them to edit your work?

If this is the case, there are some editors that do some freelance editing on the side. But it is rare for publishing houses to offer editing services. Not to say there aren't editing houses out there because there are.

IMHO, you are better off buying a grammar book and doing as much as you can first and learning how to self edit. If you want to be a writer for the long haul, you must learn how to edit yourself. Granted, I'm not sure where you are at in your writing? Are you just starting out? Are you new to the business? Or are you on your third, fourth, or fifth book already?

But, in general. When you send stuff to a publishing house (i.e. submissions) it can be months before you hear back from them.

Usually, freelance editors are pretty damn good about getting back to you within a week. There are MANY editors out there, so certainly shop around.

In fact, it is extremely important that your style and type of story mesh well with an editor. I wouldn't hand my Sci-Fi book to a editor that specializes in Historical Romances.

Mel...

susangpyp
05-07-2009, 04:13 PM
They are a Canadian self-publishing (on-demand) publisher. Is this what you're looking for?

CaroGirl
05-07-2009, 04:57 PM
What are editing wadges?

DeadlyAccurate
05-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Do you mean Trafford (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767)? If so, you're the (potential) customer, so why wait? It's no different than asking how long you should wait to contact Kinko's.

bkwriter
05-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the advice. I am still learning how to edit but this is my fourth time around with this thing. Well, this is my first big rewriting and I feel it could use a real good eye to let me know what I can do. When I'm done I will post a synopsis in the beta reader link and see if anyone will take it.

Thanks again

Toothpaste
05-08-2009, 04:54 PM
You should know that the ads found on AW are not necessarily supported by AW. They are just ads that the advertising monster thinks are appropriate for this site. Many of the ads are services for which you have to pay more money than necessary, sometimes even for scams. Anytime you want to get involved with a company double check them with the "Bewares and Background Check" section of AW.

blacbird
05-08-2009, 11:46 PM
I found a website on the AW home page and filled out info so that the publisher could send me info on their editing wadges.

Wadges? Wadges?

You don't need to pay nobody no steenking wadges.

caw

seun
05-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Wadges? Wadges?

You don't need to pay nobody no steenking wadges.

caw

I just laughed so hard, my monitor is wet with the coffee I was trying to swallow. :D

bkwriter
05-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Ok Ok. stop laughing Seun. Yes I did find the ad on this site it was "findapublisher.com" so I went to it and filled it out and told it I was searching for an editor and that's how I found it. I'll do more reasearch. It's not even done yet so I have time.

bkwriter
05-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Why not two cups of sugar Seun? Me, I like Fraps only

bkwriter
05-09-2009, 11:29 PM
I see what your saying Seun. I didn't read the post above. Yea, I don't think I'll be going with them. I went to their site and they want 35. a word and added it up to about for 5,000 words it would be 1,750 Dollars

seun
05-10-2009, 03:13 PM
I see what your saying Seun. I didn't read the post above. Yea, I don't think I'll be going with them. I went to their site and they want 35. a word and added it up to about for 5,000 words it would be 1,750 Dollars

Money should go to the writer, not come from the writer.