PDA

View Full Version : Is Food Network ageist?

JoeEkaitis
05-07-2009, 05:20 AM
Ten finalists (http://www.foodnetwork.com/the-next-food-network-star/index.html) and not a one appears to be within spittin' distance of the half-century mark. What, did Paula Deen fill the quota for silver-haired show hosts?

jodiodi
05-07-2009, 08:18 AM
I guess they're trying to appeal to a younger demographic. Some of the contestants got on my nerves. I stick with Alton Brown, and Paula Deen (my Georgia Homies) (I'm so tragically unhip). With the occasional Iron Chef thrown in.

ChaosTitan
05-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Yeah, because I'm sure the finalist selections have nothing to do with personality or cooking skills. :rolleyes:

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-20-2009, 04:52 PM
We used to watch Food Network quite a bit... now? Hardly ever. It appears the Powers That Be at the network decided who they wanted to change their target to as a viewer and it wasn't us.

The Neelys make me gag with all their love bird crap; Rachel Ray's machine gun delivery wears me out; Sandra Lee seriously endangers my blood sugar levels with her perfectly color-coordinated sweetness; and Guy Fieri makes my ears bleed.

BenPanced
05-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Actually, you can point to the beginning of the decline around the time Guy Fieri won. I'd noticed FN began to market themselves more to people who'd watch Spike or G4.

MattW
05-20-2009, 05:58 PM
I watch Spike and G4, but I can't even stand FN anymore.

Susan Gable
05-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Ummmmm...I actually like Guy. <G>

Although I stick to Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. Not his other show.

Also love Ace of Cakes.

And I'm glad they brought back the original host for Dinner Impossible. So what, he padded his resume. He could do the job. Apparently the new host didn't go over so well. LOL.

Susan G.

ChaosTitan
05-20-2009, 06:34 PM
And I'm glad they brought back the original host for Dinner Impossible. So what, he padded his resume. He could do the job. Apparently the new host didn't go over so well. LOL.

Susan G.

Ditto. I didn't much care for Michael Symon. He was sort of dry. The original host is hilarious.

I'm also a fan of Chopped. It's amazing what people can cook with those secret ingredients.

Bubastes
05-20-2009, 06:37 PM
I like Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives. I'm also a huge Alton Brown fan, so I watch his show and Iron Chef America (although I love the original Japanese version much more). The other programs I can take or leave.

I find myself tuning into the Travel Channel for my foodie fix as well (Man vs. Food and No Reservations).

MaryMumsy
05-20-2009, 08:32 PM
The Neelys make me gag with all their love bird crap; Rachel Ray's machine gun delivery wears me out; Sandra Lee seriously endangers my blood sugar levels with her perfectly color-coordinated sweetness;

QFT

I like Alton Brown, some of Guy Fieri, Ace of Cakes, the original guy on Dinner Impossible. I like the challenge shows. I still watch Iron Chef, depending on which chef is being challenged. I don't like Michael Symon, and think John Besh should have been the new Iron Chef. Winning 'the next food network star' isn't a guarantee of success. The last two or three are languishing on Sat mornings. But the guy who came in second last time has his own prime time show, 'will work for food'.

MM