Is Food Network ageist?

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I guess they're trying to appeal to a younger demographic. Some of the contestants got on my nerves. I stick with Alton Brown, and Paula Deen (my Georgia Homies) (I'm so tragically unhip). With the occasional Iron Chef thrown in.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
We used to watch Food Network quite a bit... now? Hardly ever. It appears the Powers That Be at the network decided who they wanted to change their target to as a viewer and it wasn't us.

The Neelys make me gag with all their love bird crap; Rachel Ray's machine gun delivery wears me out; Sandra Lee seriously endangers my blood sugar levels with her perfectly color-coordinated sweetness; and Guy Fieri makes my ears bleed.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, you can point to the beginning of the decline around the time Guy Fieri won. I'd noticed FN began to market themselves more to people who'd watch Spike or G4.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I watch Spike and G4, but I can't even stand FN anymore.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Ummmmm...I actually like Guy. <G>

Although I stick to Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. Not his other show.

Also love Ace of Cakes.

And I'm glad they brought back the original host for Dinner Impossible. So what, he padded his resume. He could do the job. Apparently the new host didn't go over so well. LOL.

Susan G.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
And I'm glad they brought back the original host for Dinner Impossible. So what, he padded his resume. He could do the job. Apparently the new host didn't go over so well. LOL.

Susan G.

Ditto. I didn't much care for Michael Symon. He was sort of dry. The original host is hilarious.

I'm also a fan of Chopped. It's amazing what people can cook with those secret ingredients.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I like Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives. I'm also a huge Alton Brown fan, so I watch his show and Iron Chef America (although I love the original Japanese version much more). The other programs I can take or leave.

I find myself tuning into the Travel Channel for my foodie fix as well (Man vs. Food and No Reservations).

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Neelys make me gag with all their love bird crap; Rachel Ray's machine gun delivery wears me out; Sandra Lee seriously endangers my blood sugar levels with her perfectly color-coordinated sweetness;

QFT

I like Alton Brown, some of Guy Fieri, Ace of Cakes, the original guy on Dinner Impossible. I like the challenge shows. I still watch Iron Chef, depending on which chef is being challenged. I don't like Michael Symon, and think John Besh should have been the new Iron Chef. Winning 'the next food network star' isn't a guarantee of success. The last two or three are languishing on Sat mornings. But the guy who came in second last time has his own prime time show, 'will work for food'.

MM