PDA

View Full Version : SEN. SCHUMER – IHOP MAPLE SYRUP

Robert Toy
05-07-2009, 03:27 AM
WASHINGTON, April 30 -- The office of Sen. Charles E. Schumer, D-N.Y., issued the following news release:

As New York aims to maximize the economic potential of its maple syrup industry, U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer today wrote the International House of Pancakes (IHOP) CEO Julia Stewart urging her to offer New York State maple syrup at each New York restaurant location.

http://www.rimag.com/articleXML/LN965028748.html

Don’t you just love it?

Medievalist
05-07-2009, 03:29 AM
Oh for Pete's sake, everyone knows the best Maple syrup is from:

1. Vermont
2. New Hampshire
3. Maine
4. Canada

New York isn't even on the list.

What a maroon . . .

dclary
05-07-2009, 03:38 AM
Schumer's an idiot then, because IHOP hasn't used real maple syrup since the 70s. I bring my own, Vermont's finest, whenever I have an IHOP urge.

Ah, I see my data is about 2 weeks out of date. The first IHOP in Vermont opened on the 22nd, and it serves real Vermont maple syrup. Good for them.

robeiae
05-07-2009, 03:38 AM
Stick it to 'em, Schumer!

robeiae
05-07-2009, 03:39 AM
Breaking news:

President Obama--on the advice of Schumer--is going to nationalize IHOP and force them to use NY syrup.

TerzaRima
05-07-2009, 03:42 AM
IHOP hasn't used real maple syrup since the 70s.

I'd go further and say that IHOP hasn't served real food in quite a while. The last time I ate there, on a road trip with no other options, everything bore a suspicious resemblance to that plastic food you see in the windows of Japanese restaurants. About as much taste, too.

Anymore I make my own buttermilk pancakes at home/increasingly antisocial curmudgeon.

bettielee
05-07-2009, 03:44 AM
Ahhh... warm caramel colored fructose corn syrup. Sigh.

bettielee
05-07-2009, 03:46 AM
I'd go further and say that IHOP hasn't served real food in quite a while. ...

Anymore I make my own buttermilk pancakes at home/increasingly antisocial curmudgeon.

Good Lord! Have you not had the strawberry crepes? Begone, curmudgeon! I blast thee from my universal and all subsequent universes...

(snicker :)) I still wanna be frenz...

dclary
05-07-2009, 03:46 AM
I'd go further and say that IHOP hasn't served real food in quite a while. The last time I ate there, on a road trip with no other options, everything bore a suspicious resemblance to that plastic food you see in the windows of Japanese restaurants. About as much taste, too.

I enjoy their triple-decker BLTs. That's about all.

I eat pancakes about twice a year, simply to remind myself why I don't eat pancakes.

Wayne K
05-07-2009, 04:22 AM
I'm more of a waffle person.

We used to make our own syrup when I was in school in Maine.

som1luvsmi
05-07-2009, 04:26 AM
Mmmm... my sister-in-law makes the best waffles with walnuts and cinnamon, I think. I'm hungry. *walks away searching for waffles*

wannawrite
05-07-2009, 04:30 AM
What's wrong with IHOP? I loved the 'crepe of the states' thing they did last summer. I think I ate my way through about a dozen states before I was through...

Medievalist
05-07-2009, 04:31 AM

OK. See how you used "anymore" there? I've only ever heard one person use it like that, and she's from Montana with Texas antecedents.

Do you know where you got it from?

:D

Anyone else who uses it thus, or has heard it, please let me know. I'll even bust it out into a separate thread to not piss off annoy the mods/arbiter types.

But I really really wanna know . . .

poetinahat
05-07-2009, 04:33 AM
Schumer's an idiot then, because IHOP hasn't used real maple syrup since the 70s. I bring my own, Vermont's finest, whenever I have an IHOP urge.

I enjoy their triple-decker BLTs. That's about all.

So... you eat triple-decker BLTs with Vermont maple syrup?

That's kind of disgusting.

You're my hero, Deek.

dclary
05-07-2009, 04:34 AM

That's kind of disgusting.

You're my hero, Deek.

It takes an iron stomach to stand up for the little guy, Poet. But I do my damnedest.

Cranky
05-07-2009, 04:36 AM
Mmmmm, IHOP.

Personally, I prefer Cracker Barrel. They make awesome biscuits and gravy.

IHOP's crepes are pretty good, though, I agree. Though you won't catch me putting syrup of any kind on those, whether it's synthetic, from New York or straight out of a Vermont maple tree.

Medievalist
05-07-2009, 04:36 AM

Poet, I gotta tell you--bacon, Canadian bacon, or sausage are amazing cooked in a cast iron skillet with a smidge of real maple syrup.

robeiae
05-07-2009, 04:37 AM
Smidge? Who says that? Where did you pick that up from, Lisa?

Medievalist
05-07-2009, 05:24 AM
Smidge? Who says that? Where did you pick that up from, Lisa?

You're asking the wrong person :D

Edgefield, South Carolina; it's an artifact of Scots settlers who landed at Charlestown, and moved inland. Smidge is derived from smidgen, itself a Northern / Middle Scots variant of Middle English smitch.

dclary
05-07-2009, 05:53 AM
You're asking the wrong person :D

Edgefield, South Carolina; it's an artifact of Scots settlers who landed at Charlestown, and moved inland. Smidge is derived from smidgen, itself a Northern / Middle Scots variant of Middle English smitch.

I use smidgen.

poetinahat
05-07-2009, 06:11 AM
Poet, I gotta tell you--bacon, Canadian bacon, or sausage are amazing cooked in a cast iron skillet with a smidge of real maple syrup.
Oh, yeah, Lisa - totally agree - but maple syrup on lettuce and tomato? :Wha:

Medievalist
05-07-2009, 06:15 AM
Oh, yeah, Lisa - totally agree - but maple syrup on lettuce and tomato? :Wha:

Ewwww

Buncha pervs, doncha know

But the bacon on said BLT is mighty fine.

I should note, that fond as I am of Canadian bacon, it's just not the same in a BLT.

But you can order a side of it at iHop. And tourist joints in Maine, N.H. and Vermont sell little 2.5 inch tall plastic jugs of Maple syrup that fit in a pocket or purse, and you can even get Amber B Grade, which I much prefer to the A and AA Fancy.

Sweetleaf
05-07-2009, 07:05 AM
I say smidge all the time :D

C.bronco
05-07-2009, 07:07 AM
The IHOP "Old Fashioned Syrup" rules. What the heck is Chuck thinking!!!!????

DON'T MESS WITH PERFECTION! That's all I've got to say about that, and that I love IHOP.

TerzaRima
05-07-2009, 07:12 AM
But I really really wanna know . . .

Mediev--echt Midwest, born and raised in Detroit area, spent years in Minnesota training, now an Iowan. I've been accused of having some Canadian vowels and expressions which I think is the stint in Minnesota. Long o's, that kind of thing.

edit: and sounds like I ought to try the crepes. I've only ever tried the pancakes which are pure Teflon.

Seaclusion
05-07-2009, 07:13 AM
Just to yank everyone's chain (New York expression), the best maple syrup I every had was at the Maple festival in Geauga county, OHIO. They made it right there in the syrup house. Unbelievablely good.

Richard

Medievalist
05-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Just to yank everyone's chain (New York expression), the best maple syrup I every had was at the Maple festival in Geauga county, OHIO. They made it right there in the syrup house. Unbelievablely good.

Richard

HERETIC

BURN HIM BURN HIM