SEN. SCHUMER – IHOP MAPLE SYRUP

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
WASHINGTON, April 30 -- The office of Sen. Charles E. Schumer, D-N.Y., issued the following news release:

As New York aims to maximize the economic potential of its maple syrup industry, U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer today wrote the International House of Pancakes (IHOP) CEO Julia Stewart urging her to offer New York State maple syrup at each New York restaurant location.

http://www.rimag.com/articleXML/LN965028748.html

Don’t you just love it?

Deleted member 42

Oh for Pete's sake, everyone knows the best Maple syrup is from:

1. Vermont
2. New Hampshire
3. Maine
4. Canada

New York isn't even on the list.

What a maroon . . .

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Schumer's an idiot then, because IHOP hasn't used real maple syrup since the 70s. I bring my own, Vermont's finest, whenever I have an IHOP urge.

Ah, I see my data is about 2 weeks out of date. The first IHOP in Vermont opened on the 22nd, and it serves real Vermont maple syrup. Good for them.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
IHOP hasn't used real maple syrup since the 70s.

I'd go further and say that IHOP hasn't served real food in quite a while. The last time I ate there, on a road trip with no other options, everything bore a suspicious resemblance to that plastic food you see in the windows of Japanese restaurants. About as much taste, too.

Anymore I make my own buttermilk pancakes at home/increasingly antisocial curmudgeon.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I'd go further and say that IHOP hasn't served real food in quite a while. ...

Anymore I make my own buttermilk pancakes at home/increasingly antisocial curmudgeon.

Good Lord! Have you not had the strawberry crepes? Begone, curmudgeon! I blast thee from my universal and all subsequent universes...

(snicker :)) I still wanna be frenz...

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I'd go further and say that IHOP hasn't served real food in quite a while. The last time I ate there, on a road trip with no other options, everything bore a suspicious resemblance to that plastic food you see in the windows of Japanese restaurants. About as much taste, too.

I enjoy their triple-decker BLTs. That's about all.

I eat pancakes about twice a year, simply to remind myself why I don't eat pancakes.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm more of a waffle person.

We used to make our own syrup when I was in school in Maine.

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
What's wrong with IHOP? I loved the 'crepe of the states' thing they did last summer. I think I ate my way through about a dozen states before I was through...

Deleted member 42

OK. See how you used "anymore" there? I've only ever heard one person use it like that, and she's from Montana with Texas antecedents.

Do you know where you got it from?

:D

Anyone else who uses it thus, or has heard it, please let me know. I'll even bust it out into a separate thread to not piss off annoy the mods/arbiter types.

But I really really wanna know . . .

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Schumer's an idiot then, because IHOP hasn't used real maple syrup since the 70s. I bring my own, Vermont's finest, whenever I have an IHOP urge.

I enjoy their triple-decker BLTs. That's about all.

So... you eat triple-decker BLTs with Vermont maple syrup?

That's kind of disgusting.

You're my hero, Deek.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com

That's kind of disgusting.

You're my hero, Deek.

It takes an iron stomach to stand up for the little guy, Poet. But I do my damnedest.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mmmmm, IHOP.

Personally, I prefer Cracker Barrel. They make awesome biscuits and gravy.

IHOP's crepes are pretty good, though, I agree. Though you won't catch me putting syrup of any kind on those, whether it's synthetic, from New York or straight out of a Vermont maple tree.

Deleted member 42

Poet, I gotta tell you--bacon, Canadian bacon, or sausage are amazing cooked in a cast iron skillet with a smidge of real maple syrup.

Deleted member 42

Smidge? Who says that? Where did you pick that up from, Lisa?

You're asking the wrong person :D

Edgefield, South Carolina; it's an artifact of Scots settlers who landed at Charlestown, and moved inland. Smidge is derived from smidgen, itself a Northern / Middle Scots variant of Middle English smitch.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
You're asking the wrong person :D

Edgefield, South Carolina; it's an artifact of Scots settlers who landed at Charlestown, and moved inland. Smidge is derived from smidgen, itself a Northern / Middle Scots variant of Middle English smitch.

I use smidgen.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Poet, I gotta tell you--bacon, Canadian bacon, or sausage are amazing cooked in a cast iron skillet with a smidge of real maple syrup.
Oh, yeah, Lisa - totally agree - but maple syrup on lettuce and tomato? :Wha:

Deleted member 42

Oh, yeah, Lisa - totally agree - but maple syrup on lettuce and tomato? :Wha:

Ewwww

Buncha pervs, doncha know

But the bacon on said BLT is mighty fine.

I should note, that fond as I am of Canadian bacon, it's just not the same in a BLT.

But you can order a side of it at iHop. And tourist joints in Maine, N.H. and Vermont sell little 2.5 inch tall plastic jugs of Maple syrup that fit in a pocket or purse, and you can even get Amber B Grade, which I much prefer to the A and AA Fancy.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
The IHOP "Old Fashioned Syrup" rules. What the heck is Chuck thinking!!!!????

DON'T MESS WITH PERFECTION! That's all I've got to say about that, and that I love IHOP.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
But I really really wanna know . . .

Mediev--echt Midwest, born and raised in Detroit area, spent years in Minnesota training, now an Iowan. I've been accused of having some Canadian vowels and expressions which I think is the stint in Minnesota. Long o's, that kind of thing.

edit: and sounds like I ought to try the crepes. I've only ever tried the pancakes which are pure Teflon.

Last edited: