Anybody time this - How long does it take to write 2000 words?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm asking for a good reason...it is research. Could you please let me know if you have ever timed your word count and if so...how long does it take you to write 2,000 words? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hmmm - would vary from person to person, of course, and from day to day, too.

Me, if i'm really in the grove, can pump out 2,000 words in around 75 minutes (though whether they're good words or not is another story). On a general day, though, 2,000 words would take me about double that, so 150 minutes, I guess (with two minute breaks here and there).

I know another writer who can put down 2,000 words inside of an hour.

scottVee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scott.virtes.com
Of course, it will vary from person to person, project to project. An easy brain dump might hit 2,000 words in an hour. A technical article that isn't coming out right might need 4 hours or more to hit that mark. Some projects never get there at all.

Same with poetry: sometimes 100 lines just hit the page in a rush, and sometimes 5 lines (like a limerick) can take an hour to get just right.

= scott

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks! I was ballparking an hour to an hour and a half. This helps.

Reaction score
When I go ballistic, an hour.

Standard is about an hour and a half.

Reaction score
Morning? MORNING? You write in the MORNING?!

Heathen!

Honestly. No matter how tired I am through the day I come alive at night.

There were a number of occasions I started writing in the late afternoon and got around 8,500 words done by bedtime, though.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I write in the morning too. 4:30am for an hour. I just never really pay attention to word count. But I do think that the 1 1/2 hours is going to work for my needs. I am thinking of writing where you wail through it without an internal editor...so speedwriting really. I'm working on a workshop proposal and I wanted some time ideas for 2000 words...which is my suggested daily word count. Thanks to all!

Reaction score
Yeah, the internal editor can go hang when I'm working on a first draft.

Funny thing is, when I ignore the blighter and just write like my face is on fire, I end up getting in the zone and what comes out is better than the 'angsting over every word' crap I churn out when I go slow.

Feast or famine, that's me all over. I either write nothing at all, or thousands of words in a day. Well, in a few hours.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yeah, the internal editor can go hang when I'm working on a first draft.

Funny thing is, when I ignore the blighter and just write like my face is on fire, I end up getting in the zone and what comes out is better than the 'angsting over every word' crap I churn out when I go slow.

Feast or famine, that's me all over. I either write nothing at all, or thousands of words in a day. Well, in a few hours.

This sounds very much like me.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
While writing The Toast Bitches, I had a limited time to get 50K done. When approaching the crunch, I made a habit of noting the word count at the beginning of my sessions, then at the end so I could figure out how many I had to write per day in order to reach my deadline. I think I hit approximately 1500 to 2000 words during a two-hour stint, on average. But that was only when pushing myself in the wee hours before sleep.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Three to four hours.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks all. I've worked up my proposal and I'm using the time of 1 to 1 1/2 hours...that will work for my purposes. It's only going to be used as a guideline...and there will be no punishment for those who come up short in that time span. Thanks for your answers.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I think mostly the braggarts responded. I couldn't write 2,000 words in an hour if my life depended on it. If I'm in the groove, I can pump out 2,000 in 3 or 4 hours.

Reaction score
Dunno if you were joking or not; I'll assume so, but there's no boasting in saying "I can write 2k in an hour and a half," if it's true. I mean, Kevin asked, so...we answered.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
If I've got a hook and in the groove, I'm with SP -- about an hour.

Average: 2 hours (so, 1,000 words/hour and 16 words a minute; 4 words every 15 seconds)

Bad days: I'll do 2,000 words in 4-6 hours

Worst days: I'm on the couch catching up on SportsCenter (or Snooker, which is apparently dominating EuroSport right now ...)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is it? WHUT? WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME?!

*cue jokes about Neil Robertson getting felt on the table*

Didja see what I did there? CUE? FELT in the table?

I'm wasted here...