Anyone else talk to their MC's as they write?

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
Just throwing this out there to see whether or not I'm a freak, because yes, I do. Not usually during the creative process when everything is 'flowing', but afterwards, during the rewrite. I'll sit there and mumble something inarticulate, like, "Can't have you doing that yet, now can we, Laurion?"

One time during a tragic love scene, much to my children's disgust, I loudly burst out in sob, "It's okay, Laurion! Jillian really, really does love you! You will find out in the next chapter...just hold on! Everything will work out, you will see!"

My children think I am crazy.
Are they right?
How 'bout it? Do the rest of you talk to your MC's too?

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
No. But I do take the roles of my characters and talk to other characters... you know, talking out the dialogue.

There's more than one type of crazy. ;-)

Reaction score
I don't talk while I'm writing but I do talk about my characters as if they're real people. Especially with tt42.

Usually something like, "Here's chapter nineteen. I wanted something to happen but character A ran away with it and then character B said..."

As if I had nothing to do with it.

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
No. But I do take the roles of my characters and talk to other characters... you know, talking out the dialogue.

There's more than one type of crazy. ;-)

I do this too! My husband thinks I'm mad because I',m always talking to myself, but I'm just running scenes. He wouldn't think that if I was an actor (or maybe he would).

I do SP's thing too, and talk to my best friend (sounding board) as if they're real. It helps that she does too. :)

Shail

mostly normal
Registered
Reaction score
No, but I become the character I'm currently writing. This become problematic when I use my antagonist mood. The villian in my current WIP is hard to put back in the toy box when I'm done with him. He's got a mind of his own. Brrrr.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I write memoirs so if I talked to my MC then I would be talking to myself and that's just crazy:crazy:

Reaction score
I rise above your futile attempts to harm me with snack food and abusive rep points, and desire you to keep this thread on topic, miladdo.

*sniffs imperiously*

Shail

mostly normal
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, back on track. Is there a difference between role playing a fictional character and talking to him/her as if he/she were in the room? 'Cause I do both.

Sometimes I'll take the role of one character, and discuss the situation at hand with another character. I can't do both mind sets at once.

Reaction score
I have conversations in my head; usually just before I fall asleep.

Well, not exactly 'have conversations' but I let the characters' scenes play out in my mind, like watching a play.

Sometimes I even remember what they said in the morning.

Shail

mostly normal
Registered
Reaction score
Please, SP. You're a camel covered in fruit pies, I'm a suave, sofista...sophizta...I'm a cool bunneh. It would never work.

:)

I think the word you were trying to spell there Quickie is 'schizoprhenic'. ;)

In either case it would never work. Her humor is more mature than yours. *bats the bunny across the floor*

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I talk as if they're real too - and my husband answers me as if they are...

Me: Hon, X is doing this - it's just not like him...
Hubby: Doing what? Really? Is he not well? I'd have expected him to knee Y in the nuts.

I have conversations in my head; usually just before I fall asleep.

Well, not exactly 'have conversations' but I let the characters' scenes play out in my mind, like watching a play.

Sometimes I even remember what they said in the morning.

I can't sleep without a scene to play with. Though they tend to get right saucy at that time of night :D And notepad by bed, with pen that lights up = invaluable. Though I have been known to get up at 2 in the morning and run downstairs to type a page of notes.

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
Wow. Thanks, guys. Your making me feel very, very sane, indeed.

Your husband answers you back? Really? What a great hubby!

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Heck, I can do everyone here one stranger. I got into dollmaking awhile back, so I have several I've made of various characters in my stories.