PDA

View Full Version : Last Episode of Scrubs EVAR!

Kitty Pryde
05-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Tonight is the one hour final episode of Scrubs. I'm very sad. At least it's ending before it got too awful. I've been an obsessive scrubs fan since season one. What's your favorite Scrubs moment? Youtube us or punchline if you please!

Mine's the 'It All Comes Down to Poo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-OIgXyvzUU)' song from the musical episode. But I love any of the musical songs, the songs Ted sings with his band (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMo_boi1Yw0), or the song/dance dream sequences. Also the 'I Told You So' dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOMk5GWvlks&NR=1). And the horse with a sword on its head (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR64tZ00JIo). The last season wasn't the best, but at least it had The Gooch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w58uc6NjvmQ).

Adam
05-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Dunno what episode it was from, but the one where Carla and Elliot think The Todd is gay and help him "come out". Makes me larf every time I see it. :)

Here's a montage of The Todd's bits in the episode. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypqBpHB-hHo

Love the ending - "I'm The Todd." :D

katiemac
05-06-2009, 10:56 PM
It might not be the last episode. ABC is prepared to move forward with the series, Zach Braff or no Zach Braff.

Doesn't mean they will, mind you, but don't be surprised if Scrubs comes back for another season. It's cheaper than making a new series.

Kitty Pryde
05-06-2009, 11:00 PM
whoa! I hadn't heard that. Honestly, I think the show would be fine without him. I like his acting and comedy but he doesn't carry the show. He's also typecast for life now (a few dorky low budget movies notwithstanding), so if I was him I'd stick with scrubs unto season 15!

jst5150
05-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Zach Braff is the engine that makes that show run, though.

I figured it would get another 3 seasons with the move to ABC. Didn't realize Braff wasn't part of the package.

katiemac
05-06-2009, 11:07 PM
When ABC picked it up, they only picked it up for one (the final) season. But now that the networks are looking like they are, they're considering keeping it around longer. But Braff said awhile ago that this season would be his last. Again, doesn't mean that won't stick, but Scrubs might last a little longer.

Kitty Pryde
05-06-2009, 11:11 PM
LOL! Crossposted! The show creator is moving on (to a show called 'Cougar Town' starring Courtenay Cox---kill me now), and IMO he's the true heart of the show. He's the one who's insisted the show be written with heart even when it comes out cheesy, and he's the one who loves sitcoms so so much, which is constantly reflected in the writing. Apparently the actors who play Dr Cox, Dr Turk, and Janitor are all moving on to other stuff. You definitely can't have proper scrubs without JD, Cox, Turk, and the Janitor! So say I.

dgiharris
05-07-2009, 12:09 AM
LOL! Crossposted! The show creator is moving on (to a show called 'Cougar Town' starring Courtenay Cox---kill me now), and IMO he's the true heart of the show. He's the one who's insisted the show be written with heart even when it comes out cheesy, and he's the one who loves sitcoms so so much, which is constantly reflected in the writing. Apparently the actors who play Dr Cox, Dr Turk, and Janitor are all moving on to other stuff. You definitely can't have proper scrubs without JD, Cox, Turk, and the Janitor! So say I.

Scrubs has had a great run. It is always hard saying goodbye to a good sitcom, and Scrubs was a GREAT sitcom. The writing was phenonmenal, the acting, superb...

IMHO it is easily in the top ten of greatest sitcoms EVAR!!!

I'd really hate it if it hung around way past its expiration date. I think the characters are pretty much at the end of their arcs. Wrap it up, have them move on. And yes, I love the show, but it is time to move on.

The absolute worst thing they could do is go the ER route and continue without the central characters.

funny, seems medical sitcoms have a hard time accepting their deaths?

Mel...

TerzaRima
05-07-2009, 01:35 AM
My favorite episode was the one where Cox comes to work drunk after he makes the wrong decision, IIRC, about some transplanted organs and three patients die. Of course he's sent home, and everyone takes turns trying to cheer him up. JD doesn't want to go talk to him, however, because he has mixed feelings about seeing his former idol so vulnerable.

When he finally does go talk to Cox, he says something that resonated with me--something like "after twenty years of being a doctor, when things go badly you still take it this hard...that's the kind of doctor I want to be." Wonderful writing.

But it's time for it to go, I think. They're starting to write Cox as almost cuddly, which is anathema.

Kitty Pryde
05-07-2009, 01:38 AM
Nice Cox is weird, but they're just trying to wrap up everybody's storyline. Cox struggles with being mortally opposed to his own success and happiness and love for the whole series. Then he struggles with overcoming that problem. It's not really fair to the character and his fans for Cox to keep being a prick just because it's funny. Let him get a little bit of happiness, I say. He's earned it! He even went to therapy, poor thing.

TerzaRima
05-07-2009, 01:51 AM
The other episode I loved was the one where Cox's sister shows up for the baptism of Cox's baby son. The sister is an evangelical Christian, and of course Cox is relentlessly sarcastic about this. What killed me was the part where Cox tells his sister that the way he treats her is not actually because of her religion, but because seeing her brings back their horrific childhood. It sounds maudlin like that, but it wasn't played that way. Killed me.

Also whoever did the soundtracks for the show had amazing (and eclectic) taste.

katiemac
05-07-2009, 02:13 AM
I'll always remember the episode where Brendan Frasier plays Jordan's brother, but the twist at the end of the episode was a big I-see-dead-people ordeal where Cox was hallucinating him before going to his funeral.

dgiharris
05-07-2009, 02:20 AM
Another one that killed me was when Turk was having sex dreams about Elliot. That little dream sequence was HOT!!!! Smoking hot.

And then later in the real world when she says "Spank me" and then she does a feminine pose and says in a sultry husky voice, "Again, I've been badddd...."

Dear god that was the sexiest thing I've ever heard a woman say :)

Also later in the scene she ribs Turk about the dreams and does a little dance while sitting down, she says something to the effect, "Cuz I'll rock your world" then jingles her hips. That was soo funny.

Mel...

Fulk
05-07-2009, 03:28 AM
The musical episode is by far one of my favorites. I still get the songs stuck in my head. There's also the episode after Elliot's engagement where all the characters are imagining what it'd be like to be married to Elliot, and virtually all of them are over the top or dysfunctional. But JD's dream made me all fuzzy warm inside.

maestrowork
05-07-2009, 10:07 AM
I'll always remember the episode where Brendan Frasier plays Jordan's brother, but the twist at the end of the episode was a big I-see-dead-people ordeal where Cox was hallucinating him before going to his funeral.

That really was a great episode. A very sad, touching and heartfelt episode in an otherwise silly series.

p.s. they are thinking of extending Scrubs to more seasons (probably without Braff or at least with him in cameos). If so, seems like at least Cox and Turk (sounds really dirty, doesn't it?) and Carla will stay. They're definitely priming the "secondary" cast (the interns, for example) to take over if the deal goes through... rumor has it that they want it to be like ER, with an evolving cast and story arcs.

dgiharris
05-07-2009, 10:58 AM
p.s. they are thinking of extending Scrubs to more seasons (probably without Braff or at least with him in cameos). If so, seems like at least Cox and Turk (sounds really dirty, doesn't it?) and Carla will stay. They're definitely priming the "secondary" cast (the interns, for example) to take over if the deal goes through... rumor has it that they want it to be like ER, with an evolving cast and story arcs.

NOOOOOOoooooooo
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc326/dgiharris/Klingon-death-cry.jpg

Sophia
05-07-2009, 11:16 AM
In addition to the episodes listed above, a favourite of mine is the one where Cox and Turk save the life of a man at a hot dog stand, and then Turk says he's not going to brag about it, so Cox winds him up by claiming it was he who saved the man until Turk admits it. And then Turk tries to deny he is like that, and loses some of his self-confident attitude with a nervous patient who needs his gall bladder to be removed. I get this episode mixed up a little with the one where Carla has asked Cox what he thinks of Turk, and it ends up with Turk refusing to allow one of Cox's transplant patients to have surgery because the patient didn't stick to the rules. He explains that he's on the side of the person who gave the transplant organ, because it was a gift - that's one of my favourite lines in the series.

wannawrite
05-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Okay. The sun was actually shinning in Kansas, last night, so even though I am a HUGE Scrubs fan, I did not get to watch it. Went horseback riding with my daughter, instead. I know, I know. What was I thinking? Trading fresh air and sunshine for watching a talking box.

But still...

What was the storyline? How did it end? Just somebody, give me a brief synopsis, puh-lease? Am dying to know and don't want to wait for the re-run.

Thanks.

katiemac
05-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Okay. The sun was actually shinning in Kansas, last night, so even though I am a HUGE Scrubs fan, I did not get to watch it. Went horseback riding with my daughter, instead. I know, I know. What was I thinking? Trading fresh air and sunshine for watching a talking box.

But still...

What was the storyline? How did it end? Just somebody, give me a brief synopsis, puh-lease? Am dying to know and don't want to wait for the re-run.

Thanks.

You can watch it online. ABC.com. It's probably posted already.

wannawrite
05-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks! Didn't think about that...

Kitty Pryde
05-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Wow! I have to say that was a great final episode. Without spoilers, I thought it was a pleasing mixture of sentimentality and great comedy, which really sums up what the whole show has been about. The scene between dr cox and jd was really pleasing to me.

also, "Hooch IS crazy!" :D

Cyia
05-08-2009, 12:48 AM
I liked the "future" clip show as opposed to the "wrap-up" clip show concept at the end.

(and finding out the janitor's name(s). Though, wasn't the penny jammed in the top of the door in episode 1? It couldn't just roll in there)

Kitty Pryde
05-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Not necessarily! Watch the clip! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VrCzsx-OxA

Janitor is trying to fix the door because he can't get it open. That's why he's fiddling with the hinge thing at the top of it. He hasn't found the penny yet. Then later Janitor has the penny, but they don't show which part of the door he pulled it out of.

/end obsessive fangirl rant

maestrowork
05-08-2009, 01:50 AM
Oh wow, I forgot how fresh-faced Zach Braff was. LOL. He looked like he just came out of high school. And the janitor was much younger, too. It's funny how you watched the show for 9 years and you forgot that people age. It's like seeing yourself every day for 10 years and then realize, "yup, I look much older now."

TerzaRima
05-08-2009, 02:44 AM
One of the writers had to be a physician, or at least had to have been through residency. In one of the earliest episodes, a patient codes on JD's very first night on call, and everyone available is supposed to run to that room and help. Zach Braff is sprinting down the hall, when all of a sudden he gets this look of abject terror on his face and his voiceover says, "Wait..what am I doing?" He veers off into a utility closet and finds Elliott inside, sobbing in fear. I howled. Funny (uncomfortably so) because it's true.

Kitty Pryde
05-08-2009, 03:08 AM
The writers had an advisor called 'the real john dorian' (whose actual name is John Doris). He's a doctor and the writers and creator liked to milk him for ideas about what it's really like being a doctor. Stuff like that scene you mentioned (as opposed to the kind of outlandish crap that goes down on grey's anatomy...).

dgiharris
05-08-2009, 12:46 PM
The writers had an advisor called 'the real john dorian' (whose actual name is John Doris). He's a doctor and the writers and creator liked to milk him for ideas about what it's really like being a doctor. Stuff like that scene you mentioned (as opposed to the kind of outlandish crap that goes down on grey's anatomy...).

What surprises me about Scrubs is how they manage to inject so much realism into the show.

There are some episodes, hell many episodes, that are more dramatic than Grey's Anatomy and ER.

There was one were a male patient (older black man) didn't really have any friends or family and he had a terminal disease (or organ failure) that was going to kill him in 24 hours. He was all alone, and Turk and JD had a night off with big plans to have a guys night out.

However, they ended up staying the night with the guy until he passed.

Something about that episode touched me. There are others. Somehow, mixing the drama with the comedy can make for a more powerful drama.

Mel...

jodiodi
05-08-2009, 05:51 PM
I must agree about the episode with Cox's brother-in-law. I believe that's my favorite of all the episodes. The one about the elderly man with no family is also a favorite.

As a nurse, I loved the show. The personal issues weren't as intrusive as they could've been and I love to laugh.

I also agree it is SO much better than the soap opera crap medical shows.

cray
05-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Something about that episode touched me. There are others. Somehow, mixing the drama with the comedy can make for a more powerful drama.

Mel...

agreed. good writers! eh? they always seem to grab onto your feelings in some form or fashion. there is one other show that i find this to be true with as well. how i met your mother - i will deny ever watching it but again, the writers never forget the human element and they always manage to grab onto you even in the midst of comedy.
of course, i've never seen the show so, yanno,.....
:D

maestrowork
05-08-2009, 06:38 PM
cray, you big baby.

katiemac
05-16-2009, 10:40 PM
It's official. SCRUBS is renewed. Zach Braff will be back for six episodes.

dgiharris
05-17-2009, 01:58 AM
It's official. SCRUBS is renewed. Zach Braff will be back for six episodes.

Six episodes?

That doesn't sound like alot. Is he doing it so that the series can 'hand off' to other minor characters?

I've been hearing rumors that they are going to go the ER route and continue despite main characters if necessary.

Can anyone shed light on that?

Mel...

jodiodi
05-17-2009, 01:58 AM
Yay.

Kitty Pryde
05-17-2009, 03:04 AM
Ah! That's quite wondrous. Did he fake-quit the show so everyone would clamor to have him back? Oh well, I'm a Scrubs die-hard so I am pleased.

Millicent M'Lady
05-17-2009, 03:18 AM
Six episodes?

That doesn't sound like alot. Is he doing it so that the series can 'hand off' to other minor characters?

I've been hearing rumors that they are going to go the ER route and continue despite main characters if necessary.

Can anyone shed light on that?

Mel...

From what I heard yesterday, it will be just to hand over the reigns to the newer interns and make the transition smoother. So, yeah. it looks like the show will continue.

Spring
05-17-2009, 03:46 AM
I'm intrigued but wary of this extra 6 episodes deal. Here's hoping it's done well.

katiemac
05-17-2009, 03:49 AM
Braff didn't "fake quit." The last season that aired on NBC was supposed to be the final season, and it was well-known Braff was fine being the final season. But then the writer's strike happened, they didn't really get to go through with the story they wanted, but ABC picked it up. Again, it was supposed to be the last season.

My guess is Braff is returning for six episodes as a courtesy. He's moved on. (And so has the creator/showrunner ... he's handling Courtney Cox's new show, Cougar Town. Not sure how much of a role he has in this new Scubs season, either.)

dgiharris
05-17-2009, 03:53 AM
From what I heard yesterday, it will be just to hand over the reigns to the newer interns and make the transition smoother. So, yeah. it looks like the show will continue.

I can't just help but feel that this is wrong.

I guess I 've just bonded to the original characters and unfortunately, the majority of the characters are at the end of the arcs.

This reminds me of LOTR. Great Part I. Incredible Part II. Perfect Part III... until the last 20 minutes. They just refused to let it end when it should have. So the ending droned on and on and on and on and on.....

Until I was wishing for an epileptic seizure so i wouldn't have to endure anymore.

I fear that will happen to Scrubs. Unless, they essentially wipe the slate clean, bring in a completely new cast, and the old cast only pop up every now and then in the story lines.

They'd also need a new formula. I would be miffed if the new MC has daydreams just like the old MC.

*sigh*

We shall see, but IMHO, these types of continuations are just watered down versions of the original.

Mel...

maestrowork
05-17-2009, 07:31 AM
Braff's role would be more like guest star/cameo. Probably to transition things even smoother -- after all, his partner and his friends still work there... it would be odd for him to be completely out of the picture.

Still, I think dragging this one for another few seasons with new cast, etc. is a bit silly. They're trying to do the ER thing -- what, like 15 seasons? :)

katiemac
06-22-2009, 09:05 PM
The new season(s) of Scrubs takes it out of the hospital and puts it in med school. Dr. Cox and Dr. Turk will be med school professors, with the students cycling through the old Sacred Heart hospital on occasion (where you can expect some guest stars from the "old" show).

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/06/scrubs-moving-from-hospital-to-med-school.html

Kitty Pryde
06-22-2009, 09:16 PM
The new season(s) of Scrubs takes it out of the hospital and puts it in med school. Dr. Cox and Dr. Turk will be med school professors, with the students cycling through the old Sacred Heart hospital on occasion (where you can expect some guest stars from the "old" show).

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/06/scrubs-moving-from-hospital-to-med-school.html

urgh, that sounds pretty dire. Why don't they just give it a new name and make it a proper spin-off? How can there be Scrubs with no Janitor?

seun
12-11-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm a little behind all this as Scrubs only finished in the UK last night...and I have to say what a great way to end it. It was such a nice touch to have so many characters pop up just for a few seconds each (I always liked Jill Tracy especially), and the future fantasy was great. I think my only complaint about this season as a whole was a lack of a few other characters such as Dan. It would have been cool to have a final goodbye with a few more people.

As for what I've heard about a ninth series, I've got my doubts, but we'll see what happens. In any case, Scrubs was/is up with the best.

And Janitor's name bit...that was so delicious I wanted to eat it.

Kitty Pryde
12-11-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm a little behind all this as Scrubs only finished in the UK last night...and I have to say what a great way to end it. It was such a nice touch to have so many characters pop up just for a few seconds each (I always liked Jill Tracy especially), and the future fantasy was great. I think my only complaint about this season as a whole was a lack of a few other characters such as Dan. It would have been cool to have a final goodbye with a few more people.

As for what I've heard about a ninth series, I've got my doubts, but we'll see what happens. In any case, Scrubs was/is up with the best.

And Janitor's name bit...that was so delicious I wanted to eat it.

LOL! Yes! Loved the last episode. There's a new thread for the new ninth season. It's...trying, but so far it hasn't compared to the earlier seasons. I won't spoil. There are glimmers of goodness but it isn't there yet.