PDA

View Full Version : When did you (or will you) start calling yourself a WRITER?

Barb D
05-06-2009, 07:38 PM
When did you (or will you) start calling yourself a writer? You can choose more than one option.

Mr. Anonymous
05-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Already started. At this point, aside from college kid, it's the only thing I've really got to identify myself with.

selkn.asrai
05-06-2009, 07:56 PM
I still haven't and probably won't for a long time. I have my reasons.

Clair Dickson
05-06-2009, 08:16 PM
When I started writing stories. So, about third grade.

citymouse
05-06-2009, 08:18 PM
To me a writer is one who makes a living writing while an author is one who has penned / typed or otherwise set down a written work.
All writers are authors but not all authors are writers.

I'm an author. My goal is not to be a writer as defined above, although I do like royalty checks. So does my IRS agent!
C

WendyNYC
05-06-2009, 08:23 PM
I still consider myself an aspiring writer. I'll call myself a writer when I get a book deal.

I don't know what my agent considers me, aside from a client.

JamieMT
05-06-2009, 08:42 PM
I picked "when I started making a living..." - though I haven't yet, so it's wishful thinking. For now, I call myself a "hobby writer", mainly for semantic reasons. When people ask "So, what do you do?" they're asking what I do for a living, not what I do in my spare time, or on the side. My answer to that in the literal sense has to be "I'm a webmistress", because that's what pays the bills. My answer to "what do you like to do/what are your hobbies" includes writing.

Once I have published a few things (published by a recognizable company that people who aren't writers might recognize), I'll feel justified to say that I'm a webmistress and part-time writer. If someday, by some miraculous feat I actually get to quit my "day job" to write, then I will unequivocally call myself a Writer to anyone who asks. Ironically, they will probably follow up with the same question I get now about being a webmistress: "You make money doing that?" :-)

My reasons are really just for clarity - and not wanting to misrepresent myself to others who may not really understand the distinctions that writers themselves make within the community.

Just my personal reasons - I have no problem with anyone who writes calling themselves a writer...but I have no problem calling myself a hobby writer either (I don't feel that it diminishes me in any way), since it's what I do in my spare time, and I don't make any money from it (yet). I'm quite literal in that way.

NicoleMD
05-06-2009, 08:48 PM
As soon as I'd sold enough short stories to know the first few sales weren't flukes. So I'd say I'm a writer now. Though I'd like to be a professional writer, which I would consider making a substatial portion of my income from writing.

Nicole

Phaeal
05-06-2009, 08:53 PM
When I made the vow to myself to write every day, because it was my vocation. Why wait for the world to say you're a writer? You are what you do. If you get paid for it, that's gravy.

scarletpeaches
05-06-2009, 08:57 PM
If you write, you're a writer.

Author? Different story.

wannawrite
05-06-2009, 09:02 PM
I like the phrase, 'hobby writer', mostly because if you call yourself a writer in public, people are going to ask what you've had published, and for me, right now, that is a big ole goose egg. I secretly THINK of myself as a writer, tho. My mother is waiting for me to get published before she calls me that to her friends.

She has been waiting for twenty years, poor woman. :)

Clair Dickson
05-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Painters don't wait until they make money before they say they paint, do they?

I use published author to distinguish if I feel the need to.

Polenth
05-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Something else: When I started writing regularly.

ChrisKelly331
05-06-2009, 10:17 PM
I call my self a writer because thats what I do. I wont call myself in Author until I'm picked up for publication.

NeuroFizz
05-06-2009, 10:48 PM
I iz a riter cuz I jus rote this. I rite in first persin cuz I iz a riter.

No, this is not LOLKatz

NicoleMD
05-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Painters don't wait until they make money before they say they paint, do they?

I use published author to distinguish if I feel the need to.

I paint, but I wouldn't call myself a painter.
I run, but I wouldn't call myself a runner.

Just because I do something and enjoy doing it, even if I'm good at it, doesn't mean I'd necessarily consider it part of my identity. I think that's a decision each of us gets to make on our own.

Nicole

melaniehoo
05-06-2009, 11:12 PM
This question has been everywhere this week. :D Once I publish something I'll consider myself a writer. Author, for me, comes with publishing an actual book.

NeuroFizz
05-07-2009, 05:34 AM
Finish a major project and I'll call you a writer. Of course, that plus $5 will only get you a Starbuck's coffee. But finish something and post it here

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118356

and you'll get one of my "I am a butthead" reps.

MissKris
05-07-2009, 06:47 AM
When I received a check and comp copy of the first magazine my first article was published in. Then I told myself - and others - I was a writer.

Because now I had a response other than "Uh, not yet" to the inevitable question "Are you/Where have you been published?"

NicoleMD
05-07-2009, 07:58 AM
Here's my grand theory. Feel free to poke holes in it.
(Slashes are and/or)

http://www.nickydrayden.com/images/writer_flowchart.jpg

(This is what I do when I should be writing.)

Nicole

Izz
05-07-2009, 08:09 AM
I'm a writer (i can has words on page?). Not yet a professional writer, though.

joyce
05-07-2009, 08:17 AM
The first payment I received for my writing made me feel like a writer. I've been writing some sort of story since I was small, but that first paycheck made me feel a bit more official.

bsolah
05-07-2009, 08:36 AM
I write so that makes me a writer and I have been a writer since I started writing, for publication or not.

I personally think putting conditions on who is and isn't a writer is quite elitist and best avoided.

emc07
05-07-2009, 08:46 AM
I write, so I'm a writer. An author? Not until I actually publish something substantial. Now, what is the definition of substantial? I'm still figuring that out...

Wayne K
05-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Money would make me professional, true.

But I am a writer, I've always been a writer--Didn't I tell you?

Ken
05-07-2009, 02:53 PM
... when I got a column with a local newspaper.
Paid peanuts but still made me feel like I was one of the gang.

kathyc
05-07-2009, 02:55 PM
If you have a passion for writing and can't go a day without it, then you're a writer.
I've been a writer all my life. An author? Not yet, but I'm working on it. ;)