Funny question. (looking for an agent)

hockeyjason

Registered
Reaction score
]Hello Everyone,
I recently sold my first screenplay, and now I am trying to get an agent. Does anyone have advice as to how to go about that?

Thank you,

JS

Last edited:

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Find a list of agents (not hard) who handle screenplays (WGA would be my first port of call), send them a query explaining your sale and that you are looking for representation.

Assuming your deal is somewhere around industry standard you should get someone ready to step in and help take a percentage of your earnings.

Congrats on the sale.

nmstevens

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
]Hello Everyone,
I recently sold my first screenplay, and now I am trying to get an agent. Does anyone have advice as to how to go about that?

Thank you,

JS

Well, the question is -- if you've already sold a screenplay, I'm assuming that that deal is done -- the contract is signed.

The point about any agent is -- they can't sell a script that you've already sold. Their only interest in you is in the next script.

Unless you have it ready to go, there really isn't anything for you to do -- because there isn't anything for them to do.

In a sense an agent represents you, but they really represent your work, so you've got to have something for them to represent.

So what you need to be in a position to do is to have that script and then be able to say -- just sold my last screenplay to X for X -- here's my next screenplay.

Ideally, the way you go about doing this is by way of a recommendation -- to get somebody who knows an agent and whose judgement the agent knows and trusts, to recommend you.

This will always be much better than a cold query.

Well -- if you just sold a screenplay, I'm guessing, at the very least, you know a producer or two.

They might know the names of a few agents and might be willing to provide you with a recommendation, since they obviously thought a script of yours was good enough to buy.

From an agent's perspective, there's nothing better than a recommendation from a producer - because producers are buyers.

But first, you have to have a new script ready to go.

NMS

scriptwriter74

Sirius
Registered
Reaction score
Question about the script you sold

This post sounds strange from a first time poster here. Did you actually sell the script or option the script? Either way may we know the name of the script or who you sold it too as it should be listed on Imdbpro.com

Goodwriterguy

Registered
Reaction score
]Hello Everyone,

Thank you,
Congratulations on the sale!

Seems to me your buyer might be in a position to get you meetings with agencies. Generally speaking it's in their interests that you are repped. Also if you retained a lawyer to help you make your deal he or she probably has contacts at agencies.

If you're in LA you can get on the horn with agencies, they're all in the Yellow Pages. Given that you've made a sale they'd likely have an interest in meeting with you. In this vein, why not start at the top and call the best agencies first? Tell whomever answers the phone that you've just sold a script and would like to talk with an agent or an agent's assistant.

Good luck! :)

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
I am Padma Narayanasamy an Indian writer and i also need an agent .
I have written a crosover script titled My Indian Sister along with Lloyd Boyd .
Being in India it is quite difficult to find an agent . I went to two agencies but i could find only the contact number . There is no e-mail identities . Can anyone help me out as how can I get the list of agencies and there e-mail identities and thanks .
padma

nmstevens

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
I would think an AGENT would contact him - NO?-YES?

You would have to make a really significant sale that attracted a lot of heat before agents started to call you.

It's not that that doesn't happen, but it doesn't happen very often.

NMS

Steve Kahn

noob to the noobth degree
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deathwave.net
My advice would have been to call all the major lit agencies before you sold the script and said:

"x production company is seriously interested in buying my property would you care to broker the deal."

(of course I would replace the variable x with whatever production company you were working with)

curious1980

Registered
Reaction score
Don't know why the question is "funny". And I'm also curious to why someone who sold a screenplay needs help looking for an agent. Seems like you would have gotten help on that a long time ago. Or at least around enough people to get the advice needed to not post in a forum. But like the others said...send a query and mention the sale.

Last edited:

Le Vent

who wants to learn more
Registered
Reaction score
So is this below the brief advice?

Someone has a script close to a "deal" and before signing an "option" contract; it is recommended to have contact with appropriate "agency(s)" to handle the deal. Just because of the nature of the situation, an agency is willing to join on the writer's side and get their share from the sale.

Is it?

Here are two questions:

At the phase of optioning, do any share goes to the agent? I heard that option payment may vary from none to 25.000 $ (some higher ones like 50.000 $ maybe).
If there is nothing in producer's mind to pay for optioning, or something not so attractive? Does calling an agent to your side changes this payment amount in behalf of the writer? (By the means of rising the payment). Or does this makes agents cold against any efforts for the writer just from the beginning?

Second matter is that "Does collaborating with an agent saves you from dealing the legal stuff and from reading the agreement's every line under some paranoic stress"?

nmstevens

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
So is this below the brief advice?

Someone has a script close to a "deal" and before signing an "option" contract; it is recommended to have contact with appropriate "agency(s)" to handle the deal. Just because of the nature of the situation, an agency is willing to join on the writer's side and get their share from the sale.

Is it?

Here are two questions:

At the phase of optioning, do any share goes to the agent? I heard that option payment may vary from none to 25.000 $ (some higher ones like 50.000 $ maybe).
If there is nothing in producer's mind to pay for optioning, or something not so attractive? Does calling an agent to your side changes this payment amount in behalf of the writer? (By the means of rising the payment). Or does this makes agents cold against any efforts for the writer just from the beginning?

Second matter is that "Does collaborating with an agent saves you from dealing the legal stuff and from reading the agreement's every line under some paranoic stress"?

As to question one -- if you've already agreed to the terms of the option, then there isn't anything left for the agent to do -- because the option is simply, in essence an "option to buy" the script according to the terms of a purchase agreement that you would have to already agree to.

The only circumstance under which this might work would be if someone has made an *offer* which you have not yet accepted, you manage to get an agent (not that easy, even with an offer on the table) and the agent then steps in and negotiates the deal.

Were that to happen, the agent would not only be entitled to ten percent of the option, but would be entitled to ten percent of the purchase price in the event that the producers exercises the option -- that is, they ultimately bought the script.

But despite what you may have heard, this scenario where someone has offered to buy your script and you simply call up an agent and say, "I've got an offer on the table, come in and rep me," and you get an automatic yes, is not anywhere near so easy as people might think."

Who are you? Who is the producer? What is the deal? If it's a low-money option from a no-name producer, you're asking the agent to devote a substantial amount of time to something that is going to net no money or virtually no money up front and may very well net them no money on the back end, because there's very little chance that the script will ever actually be bought.

So unless you've gotten an offer for real money from a real producer with real credits, I wouldn't expect that you'd be able to parlay that into getting an agent. I'm not saying that it's impossible, but it's not very likely.

When you have an agent, or an entertainment attorney, they will negotiate the terms of the sale, including all of the boilerplate stuff, and they will copy you on the contracts as they go back and forth with business affairs -- with the producer's lawyers, so that you will see if there are any significant issues in contention.

Sometimes there have been things that I've asked questions about -- and you shouldn't simply absent yourself from the process, because it's your deal and it's your script and it's your money and you should raise concerns and ask questions if you have them.

So it's definitely a good thing -- and I believe a necessary thing, if you're going to move forward with a deal, to get yourself, if not an agent, then an entertainment attorney, to negotiate the deal or your behalf.

They will have a lawyer working to get the best deal for them. Not a fair deal, the most favorable deal -- for them. You need to have someone representing your interests who knows when you're being screwed and when you're not.

That's not you. You don't know, going in, what's reasonable and what isn't. That means that you might very well make unreasonable demands -- things that they legitimately can't give you, while ignoring things that you should reasonably be able to get (like separation of rights), because you just don't know.

So -- getting an agent -- not so easy. Getting an entertainment attorney -- that's possible. Even if you don't have money (as I've said before) most states have a Volunteer Counsel for the Arts that provides low cost or free legal services to members of the arts community.

NMS

Team 2012

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
mayancalendargirls.com
Absolutely agree with the poster above. Consider getting a lawyer instead. You don't need a sales personality at this point, you need legal guidance, financial protection, and understanding of deals beyond your grasp.
You just walk in and hire them, no need to give them a cut in perpetuity.
Any advantage of working with an agent is pretty much over once you've actually gotten a sale.
WGA has a list of such attournies.
Enjoy

Le Vent

who wants to learn more
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, these answers explain it well.