PDA

View Full Version : My editor got fired.

Palmfrond
05-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Just heard that my editor is no longer with the publishing house (a large one). I'm in the middle of a two book contract; the first is being printed as I write and the manuscript for the second due in September. Should I panic? I know nothing about the replacement except a name. My agent seems sorry but not panicky. Anything I should look out for?

Stijn Hommes
05-06-2009, 01:18 AM
You should try to find out whether the replacement editor is as interested in your work as the other one was.

Claudia Gray
05-06-2009, 01:30 AM
You've been "orphaned." This isn't uncommon; my original editor left after the publication of my first book but before the publication of the second (and with the third in revisions.) It's nerve-wracking, and it can be a problematic situation, but it doesn't have to be.

You may get someone who is very much in your corner and enthusiastic about your work, or you may get someone who never read a word of your work and only got the job because it was foisted on them. There's just no way to know or influence that, unless you are already very established. But don't freak out. If you work to build a relationship with this new editor, and it turns out you can work well together, everything's going to be just fine. (Who knows? The two of you might mesh even better.) Definitely ask your agent to arrange an exchange of email or a call -- something like that, so that as soon as the new editor is ready, you guys can get to work on this. (Give it a while, though -- if this person just got a ton of new books to edit, free time is going to be short for a while.)

So be proactive about finding out what's going on, but don't panic.

Palmfrond
05-06-2009, 02:50 AM
Thanks, Claudia, for the reassuring words. My agent seems to have a pretty good handle on things; she is trying to get us moved to someone a little more senior and a little more enthusiastic (the one we lost was quite senior and a forceful personality).

illiterwrite
05-06-2009, 05:28 AM
You've been "orphaned." This isn't uncommon; my original editor left after the publication of my first book but before the publication of the second (and with the third in revisions.) It's nerve-wracking, and it can be a problematic situation, but it doesn't have to be.

You may get someone who is very much in your corner and enthusiastic about your work, or you may get someone who never read a word of your work and only got the job because it was foisted on them. There's just no way to know or influence that, unless you are already very established. But don't freak out. If you work to build a relationship with this new editor, and it turns out you can work well together, everything's going to be just fine. (Who knows? The two of you might mesh even better.) Definitely ask your agent to arrange an exchange of email or a call -- something like that, so that as soon as the new editor is ready, you guys can get to work on this. (Give it a while, though -- if this person just got a ton of new books to edit, free time is going to be short for a while.)

So be proactive about finding out what's going on, but don't panic.

Word.

I've now lost 2 editors over 2 books. My agent calls me Typhoid Mary. Don't panic, but DO hope your new editor loves your book. I don't think mine did.

Wayne K
05-06-2009, 06:25 AM
If the agent is't going nuts I wouldn't either.