PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried about my agent?

KookyKat
05-06-2009, 12:11 AM
I got an offer from my agent a couple of months ago and he was very excited about my book. He asked for some revisions which I did quickly - that was 6 weeks ago and still, I've had no full feedback despite him saying he wishes to submit it to big publishers asap, Apr / May.

After I chased him for something else 2-3 weeks back, he got back to me and explained he was very busy, has read some of my newly revised m/s and likes it so far. He said he'd aim to get back to me 'soon' but still nothing.

He's a reputable agent with some decent deals under his belt. I know he's busy and I won't chase until end of May but am starting to get worried. Is this normal? Is this what it's like in those first few weeks? If he's so excited about my m/s, why is he taking weeks to read revisions? I'm worried he's lost interest (maybe he mentioned it to a publisher friends or global co-agents and has had a lukewarm response, hence his lack of urgency?)

Advice appreciated. Blunt advice fine.

Palmfrond
05-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Do you have an agreement with this agent, contract or handshake? If so, then don't worry, he's a busy agent and is probably selling your manuscript to the editors he lunches with. They will all be salivating for the final version when it's done.

If you don't have an agreement, give him another month and then ask again.

KookyKat
05-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Do you have an agreement with this agent, contract or handshake? If so, then don't worry, he's a busy agent and is probably selling your manuscript to the editors he lunches with. They will all be salivating for the final version when it's done.

If you don't have an agreement, give him another month and then ask again.

I have a contract with him. I was going to chase end of May as am on holiday some of June - plus he specifically said he's hoping to pitch out in May.

waylander
05-06-2009, 01:14 AM
London Book Fair was a couple of weeks ago, that probably occupied him for a week or so.

Claudia Gray
05-06-2009, 01:49 AM
Sadly, six weeks hardly even counts as a delay in the publishing world. Without any other reasons for concern, you're probably best off gently nudging your agent and reminding him about the deadline, and otherwise taking yourself to work on something else (the best stress relief in such situations, IMHO).

susangpyp
05-06-2009, 06:42 AM
I was unprepared for the delays and silences. My agent was working with another client who was on deadline. It all worked out. Rachelle Gardner had a post on her blog today about what happens after you get an agent. There's SO LITTLE out there about it! I know I had a MILLION questions and this situation you're in was one of them.

It happens as they juggle things and people. Maybe shoot him a short "is there something you want me to be doing?" type of email...a general inquiry to kickstart a conversation. Usually my agent would tell me where we were or why she was off the radar but not until I asked a questions like "This is my idea of timetables" or "this is what I'm working on right now, is there something else I should be doing instead?"

But the good news is that this stuff is normal. Hang in there!