And what do we say about name-dropping (as in brands) in present-day fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I really get annoyed when characters pull their iPhones out of their Prada bags and break a heel on their Jimmy Choos, so that the cuffs on their Dolce and Gabbana slacks drag along the dirty sidewalk and drive them to a fit of depression and an extra pump of hazelnut syrup in their Venti double half-caff, skinny-but-not-really toffee nut lattes from Starbucks to suck down on the way to back to their Silver Pine Mica 2009 Toyota Prius.

I think perhaps I missed a good bit of the reason for 'Sex and the City'.

Seriously, if it's not a personality quirk, what is the point of pinning down the trademark of every prop in a novel? I've run across this four times in the last six months and I hates it. Are the authors getting kickbacks? (Please say no, please say no.)

Does this irk anyone else or is it just me?

Last edited:

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Stephen King is famous for this. I've torn him a new one for it a number of times. (Not where he can actually read it, unfortunately.)

The point, of course, is verisimilitude. In our consumer culture, most people are superficial enough that the mere suggestion of identifiable name brands is sufficient to fool them into feeling like the story is both authentic and relatable.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Hey if it weren't for Stephen King, I'd never have heard of Hershey's. Or Twinkies ( oh wait, that was ghostbusters too) I still have no idea what they are, apart from, erm, cakie things?

If you really must, please think of those who don't live in the US and may not have a bloody clue what you're on about.

In the same way I'd not pop in a bit of dwile flonking without at least a hint as to what it is.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Used sparingly, it can add to realism and character development. After all, we do call some things by their brand names. If I have Twinkies[SUP]TM[/SUP], I'm going to offer you a Twinkie[SUP]TM[/SUP] not a generic "creme filled snack cake." A label conscious character such as Carrie from Sex and The City is going to be thinking about her Prada purse and Jimmy Choo sandals, because she spent her rent money on them.

But it's almost too easy to overdo, gets old fast, and perhaps is now abused a a shortcut to characterization (much like saying "he looked like a blond Hugh Jackman" - I hate that!).

I found the brand consciousness tedious in Sex and The City. It made the characters feel shallow. But maybe it was realistic for single professionals in NYC.

TabithaTodd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wwwtabithatodd.wordpress.com
Stephen King is famous for this. I've torn him a new one for it a number of times. (Not where he can actually read it, unfortunately.)

The point, of course, is verisimilitude. In our consumer culture, most people are superficial enough that the mere suggestion of identifiable name brands is sufficient to fool them into feeling like the story is both authentic and relatable.

I either dismiss it and miss it or just have not seen what you see. I've not come across much of it, I do concede in Lisey's Story that he does mention the name of vehicle brands but who doesn't. Buick 8 was a hard not to brand name drop title to one of his books.

He's done it briefly in the DT series only to give a description of the time frame the 'slinger ends up in when passing through the doors to other worlds...other than that I must have missed the rest.

Can you tell I'm a major SK fan nutcase? I've read almost every piece he's ever written. I'm working on Duma Key right now.

TT

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Besides, who wants a blond Hugh Jackman?
Okay, Hugh Jackman with a pot belly. ;)

The worst is when the author compares the character to some daytime soap star I've never heard of. Double ugh to that.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I either dismiss it and miss it or just have not seen what you see. I've not come across much of it, I do concede in Lisey's Story that he does mention the name of vehicle brands but who doesn't. Buick 8 was a hard not to brand name drop title to one of his books.

<snip>
Can you tell I'm a major SK fan nutcase? I've read almost every piece he's ever written. I'm working on Duma Key right now.

I have to say that with King, I usually remember any specific brands being used in the context of the it being relevant to the character or the setting. I can't remember being annoyed with S. King about it. For me, I guess he got away with it.

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I find it more forgivable with cars, up to a point. A car may tell you a lot about a character. My only quibble would be similar to the example Perks gave in her OP: Silver Pine Mica 2009 Toyota Prius. This is ridiculous when Prius alone would tell us what we need to know.

A character in my novel drives an aging Toyota Land Cruiser and gets annoyed when people refer to it as a Jeep.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I think this is one of those things that bothers writers about a million times more than it bothers readers. I think for the most parts, readers don't care.

It doesn't bother me that much. What does bother me to no end is when writers try to leverage other worlds or characters in their stories. Like a story about Luke Skywalker's cousin set in the Star Wars world.

Mel...

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I have to say that with King, I usually remember any specific brands being used in the context of the it being relevant to the character or the setting. I can't remember being annoyed with S. King about it. For me, I guess he got away with it.

For me too - mainly because it wasn't too often ( afair) and I could work out sort of what they were in context. Occasional is fine. Like many, many things, it's only a problem when overdone.

Ms. Jem

Love, Lust and Ghosts
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danitaminnis.com
Prada, Dolce and Gabbana, these things pin me into a certain place. Sometimes description can be distracting. What if I like some other designer and want to imagine the heroine wearing some other slinky, black dress?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I think this is one of those things that bothers writers about a million times more than it bothers readers. I think for the most parts, readers don't care.

It doesn't bother me that much. What does bother me to no end is when writers try to leverage other worlds or characters in their stories. Like a story about Luke Skywalker's cousin set in the Star Wars world.

Mel...
Now see, that can work really well in my opinion. Ahab's Wife is a beautiful book about a peripheral character mentioned in Melville's, Moby Dick , and R.N. Morris (Roger, here on AW), in his novels, continues Detective Porfiry Petrovich where Dostoevsky left him.

Strokes and folks, I guess.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Product dropping in novels, when lightly done, can be fine. Larger doses leave me feeling like I'm supposed to be so impressed, and I'm really not. I don't care if the sunglasses are D&G or Target. I only care that they obscure the fact that my eyes are glued to Hugh Jackman as he walks down the street.

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey if it weren't for Stephen King, I'd never have heard of Hershey's. Or Twinkies ( oh wait, that was ghostbusters too) I still have no idea what they are, apart from, erm, cakie things?

Don't worry. No one really knows what they are.

I hate brand dropping because it is most often useless, and screams that the author thinks that (s)he is just so v. clever. But in women's fiction, where designer names are thrown around like tomatoes at an unfunny standup comic, it gives the book that extra dash of superficiality.

That and it makes me feel really bad/angry about my destitution, not gonna lie.

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
But it's almost too easy to overdo, gets old fast, and perhaps is now abused a a shortcut to characterization (much like saying "he looked like a blond Hugh Jackman" - I hate that!).

*cough*DaVinciCode*cough*lookedlikeHarrisonFord*cough*

Barrett

Registered
Reaction score
The following is the opinion of a reader, not a writer...

This reminds me of Ian Fleming's notorious brand name-dropping in the Bond books.

Bond isn't known for brand loyalty. He's a world traveler, and has been known to partake heavily in a wide variety of vodkas, whiskeys and cognacs. He's known for liking Bollinger champagne, but in the books he loves Dom Perignon so much he can name his favorite vintages.
He prefers Thurston baces when he needs to keep his pants up, and Floris #89 when pants are optional, but he'll drive an Aston Martin, a Bentley, whatever gets the job done well. His watch was a Rolex, then an Omega. Bond is a sampler more than a stickler, in more ways than one.

This sort of brand name-dropping is part of the whole Bond series, and it rounds out the character in a memorable way.
I think the old rule applies here-have a reason to do it, and do it with the same care and attention as you would any other part of the narrative.

It's like character description. Most folks are happy with it if it's sprinkled through the text as a support to action or dialogue. I wouldn't give a laundry list, but I'd use them if they added good tone to a scene.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

It's always kind of bothered me as a reader, mostly because I read a lot of books from other eras, especially the 30s and 40s. If a current author uses a current brand, I'm usually okay with it because I'm part of the same era and I'll understand the reference. But that's not the case if I'm reading a book published in the 1930s, say, and the reference is to a brand that no longer exists and whose status in that time is a mystery to me. When that happens, I can't help but feel that I'm missing out on something. Maybe it's important, maybe it's not, but I'll never know.

Personally I think that writers who overdo the name-dropping are simply seeking a shortcut, one that might make their works inaccessible and too dated to last in the long run.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
It does go overboard in some instances, but I can let it go in realistic fiction. Still, it makes me squirm just a little to see Wal-mart or Nike show up on a page.

I avoid it if at all possible in my own writing. Sure, your writing will be dated pretty much no matter what eventually. Though I like to prolong that effect from occurring. Plus I'm a writer--if I can get my characters out of the twisted situations I think up, how hard is it to come up with a brand name?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
you won't read a Dean Koontz book without falling over some Levolors.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

I'm so sad for you that I am actually crying.

Status
Not open for further replies.