sign20_1381735i.jpg

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I once helped assemble a desk that came with instructions referencing a 'rat board' several times. We ignored that part since we couldn't make sense of it.

When we were done, we had a plank of wood left over and, after some inspection, realized that it attached to the bottom of the sliding keyboard tray and was, in fact, a mouse board.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I want to see the setting that evaporates the machine. "Phasers on disintegrate, Mr. Sulu!"

:D

I recently purchased some votive candle holders which came with safety instruction sheets including such warnings as: "When the candle is burning or right after putting off a fire, don't touch it, otherwise you may burn with it. Be careful with the sudden fall that is caused by the earthquake and the wind." That's the first product I've bought which came with its own earthquake warning. :D

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I love translation quirks. It may be an urban legend, but it's one of my favorites either way.

Way back a million years ago, when Coca-Cola's ad slogan was "Coke - It brings you back to life!" there was some issue in taking that on the road to China.

The translation came off, "Coke - It brings your ancestors back from the grave." Funny any way you look at it, but doubly so in a culture strong with ancestor reverence.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love translation quirks. It may be an urban legend, but it's one of my favorites either way.

Way back a million years ago, when Coca-Cola's ad slogan was "Coke - It brings you back to life!" there was some issue in taking that on the road to China.

The translation came off, "Coke - It brings your ancestors back from the grave." Funny any way you look at it, but doubly so in a culture strong with ancestor reverence.
That's like Pepsi's mid-sixties "Come Alive!" slogan, which in Germany was apparently a euphemism for sexual excitement.

Another favorite is the Chevy Nova. In Spanish, no va means "it doesn't go."

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
When you can write in understandable Japanese you can criticize.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I want to see the setting that evaporates the machine. "Phasers on disintegrate, Mr. Sulu!"

:D

Why, my first job was working on load lifters, very similar to your evaporators in many ways, sir!

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Why, my first job was working on load lifters, very similar to your evaporators in many ways, sir!

Move along, move along, these are not the droids you want.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Even languages like French, which is closer to English than Japanese, can sound very odd when translated word-for-word into English. I remember doing that in French class and having to switch sentences around rather frequently to take them out of passive voice. (Yes, it was allowed, so long as we were able to get the meaning correct.) And in Quebec City there was a French sign over a KFC which, when translated directly, came out as "Chicken of Kentucky That Is Fried."