Radio show bookers & Alex Carroll

Status
Not open for further replies.

a2002

Registered
Reaction score
One of my friends recommended a radio booker who basically charges $200-$500 every time he books you on a radio show. These are supposedly big shows that are either in big media markets or nationally syndicated.

Has anyone tried these radio show bookers? Are they worth the money?

I considered the DIY route. Kremer recommends a crash course + radio contacts database by Alex Carroll (radiopublicity.com). That site looks really spammy, but the programs he sells for getting you on the radio comes with a money back guarantee. Carroll also lists the co-creator of the Chicken Soup series as one of his clients.

Has anyone had any experience with these self-help radio booking courses?

Are there any magic templates for booking radio shows that everyone knows but me? :)

LLauren

A proud member of the Cat Staff
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bibliobuffet.com
Hi,

I don't know anything about radio bookers. But for about several years between 2002 and 2005 (or thereabouts) I worked as a producer for a "books" show on a local NPR-affiliate station. My experience is limited, but we wouldn't have given priority to a radio booker. We were overwhelmed with books coming in and requests for appearances. We chose ones we thought would be interesting to our listeners. Given our relatively small size, we would work directly with publicists and publishers and occasionally authors. Perhaps we even worked with these bookers. But our criterion was simply this: was the book and/or author of interest? If it was, we were interested. If not, we were not. A booker would not have made any difference to us one way or the other.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:

a2002

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Lauren, thank you so much for your advice. :)

I was attracted to the booker because I don't know anything about how to approach radio shows. I don't know who to contact, how to craft a pitch, how to deliver a pitch, and what to expect when we do get a show.

If you have any insights on those topics I would be eternally grateful!

LLauren

A proud member of the Cat Staff
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bibliobuffet.com
I'm not sure I can give you any advice. As I said, my experience was limited to this one show. Whether that experience would be applicable to others is uncertain. That said, I disliked phone calls. They rarely came at convenient times, and though I listened politely I was often distracted. Mail or e-mails were much better as I had something to read. I learned to make decisions quickly. I never second-guessed myself.

Nonfiction authors had a better chance, but we did a number of novelists as well. Our audience liked hearing them talk about their research, their story, their craft. So perhaps the only advice I can give is to put yourself in the producer's shoes. Why would this book be of interest to my audience? Give me just enough information to make a decision to either learn more or to reject the proposal at that point.

Are you planning to attend BEA this year? If so, they might have (because I haven't checked the panels yet) a panel presentation with the producers of large television and radio shows. And if they do, attend it.

If you should decide to go with a radio booker or freelance publicist, do a lot of research before choosing one. What you want to see are their results, not their promises. But I suspect you could approach some of your local (and state) radio stations on your own. Try that, but do create a "pitch" so that you have something specific to say. It can be informal, and probably is better that way since you share a geographical area, but don't waste their time. Again, put yourself in her (or his) shoes. What would you want to know?

a2002

Registered
Reaction score
Well Lauren, one show is one more show than I have. :)

Your advice is invaluable! For example, I always assumed calling is better because I thought the producer would like to hear my voice. You just saved me a bunch of wasted hours on the phone.

I will keep the BEA advice in mind as well. This is so much help. THANK YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.