How do you deal with content-buyer hit and run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostpoet

eta ki!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wordshomeless.blogspot.com
Those of us who write web-content (and don't get paid a lot anyway) need to beware of content buyers who simply take your articles and run. Without paying a penny of course.

I saw the bewares section and realised it was for agents and publishers. Also, a search didn't turn up any other relevant thread, so I am posting here.

Here's my experience: -

When it comes to fraud buyers, it is usually a non communicative buyer who only turns up when there's work to be done. Pay day is a good few days away so you are writing away hoping to get paid. Then of course the emails stop and you are left none the richer.

So how do you deal with this? I am of course wiser now. I take smaller batches at first (1-2 articles), do not take offers with payments beyond 24 hours post submission, etc. And the rule of thumb - too good to be true, is usually too good to be true.

So have you guys had any experience with such things? Do share. Not to wallow in self-pity but I guess it would be a learning opportunity (and a study of human scam content buyer behavioural patterns :p )

Palmfrond

cereal killer
Registered
Reaction score
Can't these people be sued in small claims court? Surely you know what company you're writing for?

lostpoet

eta ki!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wordshomeless.blogspot.com
The problem is multifold. Sometimes you think you know what company you are working for but scam artists are elaborate people.

Also, the international nature of the transaction makes it more complicated. So the small claims court is out of the question.

Actually, what I have learnt is that even though there some genuine people who operate through free mail ids (i work with a few) it is better to have people who using official website email addresses, addresses that have legitimate websites.

Anyway, i think i have only lost about $50-100 in promised money to learn my lesson over time. And I have also made sure that the content is indexed by Google with my name attached before someone else gets to use it.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
In a nutshell,

these people are thieves and con artists. The best way to deal with them is to avoid things that appear 'fishy'.

Thieves and con-artists always have great excuses or elaborate reasons for not doing what normal people do.

For instance, a real person who is sincere about paying you will have no problem giving you their phone number and contact info and references should you need to ask.

One of the tricks con-artists use is to put the 'burden' on the mark (scamee). Instead of them taking the risk, they make you take the risk. Instead of them bending over backwards, they make you bend over backwards.

ANother trick they use is to force confrontation that is counter to your social conditioning. Like, "Don't you trust me?"

The best way to deal with this is to come from a position of power and to not confuse the 'niceties' of normal social interactions with business.

Someone says, "Don't you trust me?"

My response. "One, I don't even know you and Two, trust is earned not given"

In a nutshell, when things start to feel off, when they don't do what is normal and reasonable and have nothing but excuses, then don't waste your time.

Mel...

Status
Not open for further replies.