Need Expert Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginger_BowieTx

I have been praying and contemplating an idea I have regarding a Christian children's book series. I am ready to submit either a query letter, manuscript, proposal, etc. however, I do not know which one I need to submit to publising houses and companies. Can someone please give me some advice regarding this? Thank you so much!

God Bless,
Ginger

cwgranny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janfields.com
Ginger_BowieTx said:
I have been praying and contemplating an idea I have regarding a Christian children's book series.

First, you will almost certainly need to have complete at least one of the books. Publishers are awash in ideas. Christian publishers are especially awash in idea and none will sign an untested writer based on an idea. So, you'll need to write at least one of the books. It will help if you are very familiar with the Christian children's book series already in existance so you have a sense of length and format.

Second, after you write the book, revise the book, send it to your critique group and have them really smush your writing ego, revise the book again. Put it a drawer and do something else for at least a week, two if you can stand it. Then revise again. Then you'll need to send for the publishing guidelines of the houses who have a children's writing arm. You can find some in the Children's Writers and Illustrator's Market, and some in Sally Stuart's guide (though she also lists some scammy publishers so check out ANY publisher from her guide by Googling and reading everything you can before you submit.)

Once you have the guidelines, you'll know how they want you to submit, whether by query or query plus chapters or query plus synopsis. There isn't a "one size fits all" plan so you really need to send for the guidelines and follow them. The sad reality is that it's a slow process and requires research and patience at every step. I hope have a happy ending for your publishing journey.

gran

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Ginger,

Gran's the expert. You'll save a lot of heartache if you listen to her. The only thing I'd add to the reality that you have to comlete a book before you submit a query (that's true for all of us unpublished, determined-to-be writers) is that writing the book will be fun and satisfying in itself. If it's not, do you really want to go down this path?

Jenny

Ginger_BowieTx

Thank you!

I really appreciate all of you and especially your honesty! I am definatly an "aspiring" writer. I have a bachelor's degree in English and I am a 4th grade teacher. One of my goals in life is to publish children's books and I want to glorify God with them. Anyway, again thank you so much! And, if ya'll think of anything else, please feel free to email or reply!

God Bless!

D.J.

Registered
Reaction score
Ginger_BowieTx said:
I really appreciate all of you and especially your honesty! I am definatly an "aspiring" writer. I have a bachelor's degree in English and I am a 4th grade teacher. One of my goals in life is to publish children's books and I want to glorify God with them. Anyway, again thank you so much! And, if ya'll think of anything else, please feel free to email or reply!

God Bless!

Ginger, it sounds like you're on the right track...as if I'd really know. I'm still floundering trying to know what to do. I, like you, have an undergrad in education/English, and some etc. My masters is in educational administration. I was in education/coaching/administration for almost 19 years.
I want my writing to glorify God as well. I have lots of people in my life who want me to write Children's books. I just don't know if that's where my heart is. I'm trying to stay open and find the right genre for me, hence the lurking around this whole board. :)
Well, just wanted to say your post was admirable and God will bless you in one way or another if you stay true to Him.

Last edited:

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ginger,

I'm also a former teacher who is feeling God's leading to the writing field. As a complete novice I wrote my book 2 yrs. ago; the only thing I'd add to the excellent advice above is to attend at least one writing conference to learn about the basics--writing, submissions, the market, etc. It is time and money well-spent, especially before you get too far into your project. Check out these links for writer's conferences:

http://www.classervices.com/CS_Glorieta_Conf.html (Christian)
http://writing.shawguides.com/

Also, check out the different threads on this forum (Christian, Children's Writing, etc.) for more tips.

Have fun!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
When you're ready, Ginger, I would recommend querying Integrity Publishers. They do the "Veggie Tales" line of children's books and I understand from the May 16th issue of Publisher's Weekly that they're expanding their children's line. http://www.integritypublishers.com Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.