A question about The Magickal Childe.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I worked for Herman Slater who Owned The Magickal Childe bookstore and Magickal Childe publishing. Is this name familiar to people in this forum?

If so, how do I find these people?

I've posted on their website and I've gotten nothing.

Thanks.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
If it's a publishing company it has to have an address right?

I can't find anything.

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
Only thing I came up with is from a Newspaper clipping related to his passing:

The Magickal Childe
35 West 19th Street, Chelsea, no phone.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for or not.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Gawd, I haven't heard that name for years! I know it was still there in the 1980s and that the owner died. I have no idea what happened after that. That was back when there weren't any Pagan or magickal supply or bookstores anywhere. There weren't that many books. We've gone mainstream now, I guess.

I used to work at Llewellyn and we were the larger publisher. They did a few things. Let me ask around and see who and what is going on.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I lived with Herman and worked for him until he died in 1992. He was a great guy and some of the people I knew from that part of my life are still around. I just would like to know where to start.

The OTO was something I heard a lot about, but I doubt they'll know anyone from my descriptions. The names are pretty fuzzy.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I am very familiar with Magickal Childe, but I have absolutely no idea where to find anyone. I knew they closed, and then I heard they reopened but with different owners. I don't know if that's true or not, but the rumor was that when it reopened, it was really just a shadow of its former self.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I talked with Margo Adler in NYC and she said that when Herman died, it closed. Perhaps you could Google the names of people who were there or try to find them through a social network.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I lived with Herman and worked for him until he died in 1992.

I repeated that to my husband, and his eyes just about bugged out of his head. Just a slight touch of envy that you knew "Horrible Herman" so well.

I was going to mention a website I found when I was looking for copies of the Magickal Formulary (I & II), but I think one of the posts there is yours so you have already found it.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Horrible Herman was a big softie and he saved my life. I was blessed to know him.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
It's so funny. I managed a botanica in Orlando in the late 90s until 2000. He was almost regarded as some mythical figure around the shop! We used his Magickal Formularies nearly every single day!

hellskitchen

Registered
Reaction score
This earth, this realm, this New England.
What about the girly-whirlys?

Wayne, took a while but found this!!! I joined just to find you- and then got swept up w/ the threads, 'cause I'm writing again. Are you Big Wayne, with a brother who also lived with Herman? I've been trying to find all the MC people- not easy.
Hope you see this! And remember me. I have some explaining to do.
Joel took over the publishing but I don't think he's doing anything new. Email me; I'm a newbie & am just learning the ropes here.
BB,
Laura

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, I haven't heard the name The Magickal Childe in years.