PDA

View Full Version : Does "First 15 Pages" include Title Page?

mgkatz
05-05-2009, 01:17 AM
Just wondering if the first 15 pages of the manuscript includes the title page or not! Don't want to look like I'm not following directions :P

ChaosTitan
05-05-2009, 01:26 AM
If this is a fiction manuscript, you don't need a separate title page. Put your name and personal info in the top right corner. Put the title and your name halfway down the page. The first chapter should start 2/3 of the way down (taking up the bottom third of the first page).

I didn't change the format to include a separate title page until my agent told me to (and that was for publisher submissions).

mgkatz
05-05-2009, 01:41 AM
Ah, interesting - I hadn't seen it that way before, that sounds like a good way to avoid confusion!

Perks
05-05-2009, 03:56 AM
Another quirk to requests like these is that some agent guidelines will say x-number of pages, then somewhere include a well-duh-toned comment that states yes, indeed, that means x-number even if it cuts off in the middle of a sentence.

Then you'll turn around and find the same set-up with the exact opposite, slightly snide direction to, don't-be-a-doofus-send-the-whole-sentence.

It's a jungle. Be careful out there.

mgkatz
05-05-2009, 06:25 AM
Another quirk to requests like these is that some agent guidelines will say x-number of pages, then somewhere include a well-duh-toned comment that states yes, indeed, that means x-number even if it cuts off in the middle of a sentence.

Then you'll turn around and find the same set-up with the exact opposite, slightly snide direction to, don't-be-a-doofus-send-the-whole-sentence.

It's a jungle. Be careful out there.

oh yikes!!! never thought about that. Maybe I'll manipulate the text a bit to make it end at the end of a sentence!! Change up the dialogue a bit :)

Tuuli
05-05-2009, 06:45 AM
oh yikes!!! never thought about that. Maybe I'll manipulate the text a bit to make it end at the end of a sentence!! Change up the dialogue a bit :)

Don't do that! If an agent asks for 50 pages, then give them what it takes to finish the scene (unless it goes way past 50 pages). Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less. For my current ms, the scene ends on page 52. And no one has rejected me because of that.

Perks
05-05-2009, 07:58 AM
oh yikes!!! never thought about that. Maybe I'll manipulate the text a bit to make it end at the end of a sentence!! Change up the dialogue a bit :)Yeah, don't do that. It really mostly doesn't matter. It's just head-spinning how much conflicting advice and guidelines you'll find.

But agents are just people, generally reasonable and not looking for excuses to flip out.

All's well.