Unexpected outcomes in Christian writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABekah

Registered
Reaction score
Currently? Walks over to check address book...Mar
I hope this thread is okay in here. Maybe it will motivate those who write for Christian markets.

It's easy for a writer to get discouraged. Any writer, for any reason, who wants their work out there.

My first finished novel is currently experiencing rejection--but--I've been blessed recently by something that I believe God has allowed to happen.

Someone I am close to who typically rejects any discussion of Christianity or faith requested to read my book. She is currently going through some difficult times. Saving Joy has a clear Christian message, so I was nervous about her reaction.

She sat down and read it the morning/afternoon that I sent it to her. She told me that she enjoyed it, and even passed it along to a friend of hers. She wants to see other books as I finish them. She told me that it did a lot for her..but didn't elaborate beyond that.

I hope this opens up the opportunity to share my faith with her.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome ABekah! Those seeds are so important. :)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
He works in ways we can never fully see at the time. WTG

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed! That's why we're writing, after all. ;)

And I'll chime in and third this. Christian writing is all about communicating truth to change lives for God's glory and purposes. Sometimes that = traditional publishing, but sometimes that seed scattering takes other forms. One of the most "successful" things I ever wrote--in that respect--was a simple 2-page talk I gave in a cathedral in Uganda, due to how God used that message in shaping the spiritual future of the women of Uganda. (PM me if you want details; don't want to derail ABekah's thread.)

ABekah

Registered
Reaction score
Currently? Walks over to check address book...Mar
And I'll chime in and third this. Christian writing is all about communicating truth to change lives for God's glory and purposes. Sometimes that = traditional publishing, but sometimes that seed scattering takes other forms. One of the most "successful" things I ever wrote--in that respect--was a simple 2-page talk I gave in a cathedral in Uganda, due to how God used that message in shaping the spiritual future of the women of Uganda. (PM me if you want details; don't want to derail ABekah's thread.)

Please, I'd like to hear about it. Do you do missions work in Uganda?

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Please, I'd like to hear about it. Do you do missions work in Uganda?

Yes, I first went in November 2001 (right after 9/11), and it was utterly life-changing. We remain in constant contact with the bishop and his wife, who have invited me back (and have promised a safari this time :D). I almost went again last summer, but at the last minute it conflicted with urgent family plans. I'm planning to get back there when God opens the door again.

I really empathize with your first post, Abekah, because some of the writing dearest to my heart has not been published in book form--the first, because I 'packaged' it all wrong (noobs should never start out with book-writing!), and the second "unpublishable" (i.e. un-sellable) book is my poetry devotional. But, you know, God moves...continually. Publishing is essentially peripheral to His work--He scatters the seed where He will in the manner that best suits His purposes, and I'm thrilled just to be a part of that in whatever way it suits Him.

Sending you a PM. :)

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
Publishing is essentially peripheral to His work--He scatters the seed where He will in the manner that best suits His purposes, and I'm thrilled just to be a part of that in whatever way it suits Him.
. :)

I feel that way too! (And it's one aspect of Christian writing that is waaaay better than any other kind--the smallest thing could mean our success, but our values are different than the Average-Bear-Writer!)

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
This is awesome ABekah! I agree with Deb who said that your book is already a Success.

Are you querying Christian or secular agents for it?

calley

Registered
Reaction score
Very nice. I'm happy for the both of you. :)

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Hey Abekah,

I appreciated your post because I'm in the same boat right now with my book, The Road to Damascus. Everyone who reads it thinks it's wonderful(nothing like nepatism, right?), and since it took me seven years of planning before I actually sat down to write, it's my baby!!!

The funny thing was last year I was helping a student who was writing a book. She's 16. At the time, I hadn't written my YA yet. She saw the book in my classroom one day, and said, "Hey, can I read that?" I was reluctant at first, but then I said okay.

She came to me the next day and told me she could't put it down....that she usually didn't like books like mine, but she loved it. Later, she said, "You know it really got me to thinking about my own experience with God and my time and place." I was floored. I hadn't expected that at ALL, especially from a 16 year old.

I also have a teacher friend like your friend who is very anti religious. She kept saying she wanted to read it. Finally, I said I'd let her read the opening maybe thirty pages. I was floored by her reaction. She didn't grumble about the religious aspect...she just had wonderful things to say! It is ironic, isn't it!

I've prayed many times over this book, and I've gotten an answer. But even though I get my peace, I go right back to doubting.

As you can see by my stats, it's not whipping it up in the Christian world. Most of the agents I've found aren't taking on clients unless you go to a conference, or you don't hear back from them. The two publishers are secular--for the Southern flair, more than the Christian.

Last edited:

Leigh86

Registered
Reaction score
This is an awesome thread and something I've recently experienced, too.
My Uncle, who is a self-proclaimed athiest, recently asked to read my novel and said he greatly enjoyed it. He called it "engaging". :) But even better, he actually called to ask some questions about the Theology and Biblical ideas behind it.
Needless to say, it was an awesome conversation and showed that my book did exactly what I wanted it do: Leave readers (Christian or not) asking questions and thinking about God.
And isn't that what we all want our work to do anyway? :)

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why Christian agents / agencies seem to be closed for submissions. Perhaps it is because they are dealing with a smaller market. We clearly have some good books here, books that touch lives. They will make it to the readers someday!

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
ABekah, that sounds very encouraging. Although I will confess quite freely that I hope to make money by writing (hey, we have financial needs) what I am really looking forward to more than anything else is getting feedback like that.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
This is an awesome thread and something I've recently experienced, too.
My Uncle, who is a self-proclaimed athiest, recently asked to read my novel and said he greatly enjoyed it. He called it "engaging". :) But even better, he actually called to ask some questions about the Theology and Biblical ideas behind it.
Needless to say, it was an awesome conversation and showed that my book did exactly what I wanted it do: Leave readers (Christian or not) asking questions and thinking about God.
And isn't that what we all want our work to do anyway? :)

That is fantastic!

robbrichards

Banned
Reaction score
everyone is being so supportive of you, what could i say; well, maybe a little something. lol. i've always had that heart. a pastor once set that within me: one person saved would make the book a success. and God told jeremiah to 'write for himself in a book'. writing starts at home and then begins to touch those closest to us, spreading through humanity like chocolate in a blenderful of ice-cream. thanks for the inspiration.

rudolph

Ardent Kat

Kill your television
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katherineokelly.com
Ahh, this thread warms my heart. Thanks for sharing success stories everyone!

In situations like this where God turns a disappointment into a triumph, I like to imagine the order was reversed. You could think, "Well, I reached my [agnostic] brother, but it's disappointing I wasn't published." Instead, think of Christ looking you in the eye before you started writing and saying, "I've got a plan for the best way to reach your brother. Would you be willing to write a book to do it?" My answer would then be an enthusiastic "yes" without the disappointment attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.