PDA

View Full Version : Being a switchboard operator SUCKS!

KikiteNeko
05-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Thank God this is just a temp placement because I really hate the customers who call here.

I'm switchboard, all I can do is transfer your call the the proper person, that's it. But I get these idiots who call me up in arms because the person they want to speak with isn't in their office or they're sent to someone's voicemail. They seem to think that if they bitch and berate me enough, I'll press the magical button the phone that will put them in touch with Jesus Christ himself who will solve all of their money lending problems.

Me: How may I direct your call?
Irate man: Yeah, I need to talk to S but I'm being sent to her voicemail.
Me: Okay, sir that means she's likely on another line or not in her office. (DUH, right!?) If you leave a message she WILL return your call.
Irate man: Well I need to speak with her NOW
Me: I'm sorry, sir, I don't control when the managers answer their phone (DUH, right!?)
Irate man: Then you get up and go find her.
Me: I'm sorry, sir, they're on a different floor. I can't do that.
Irate man: Why not
Me: I'm just the switchboard, sir, I can't leave my post.
Irate man: Switchboard!? I thought I dialed the operator!
Me:... Operator is switchboard, sir.
Irate man: I don't have time for this, I demand to speak with S's supervisor.
Me: Certainly, sir. *places irate man on hold. Leaves him there until he hangs up*

GAH. Just a tip, guys. If you call a company because you're irate about something, do NOT bitch at the operator. She doesn't know anything about the goings-on of the company and all she can do is transfer your g**damn call. And if you get one like me, she'll remember your voice the next time you call, and you'll NEVER reach your party's extension if she can help it. :rant:

CaroGirl
05-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Hence the high turn over in the switchboard operator industry.

BTW, "switchboard"? When do you work, 1918? Is that one of those legacy terms that has just persisted despite technology?

And it sucks that people are rude to you.

KikiteNeko
05-04-2009, 09:08 PM
BTW, "switchboard"? When do you work, 1918? Is that one of those legacy terms that has just persisted despite technology?

I don't know why everyone here refers to it as a switchboard. It's just your regular 12-line phone. But I'm the only one who takes the calls when you press the operator's extension, so I get all the crazies. Sometimes they hang up on me and call back thinking they've got somebody new.

Sweetleaf
05-04-2009, 09:35 PM
I did a temp job for Telecom faults at a time when all their maintenance and repair guys were on strike.

'I'm sorry sir, it's going to be ten days before we can get someone out to check that line for you.' No wonder so many people got angry, but what the hell did they think I could do about it?

I totally sympathise. What a nightmare.

KikiteNeko
05-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Ugh, that Irate Man in my OP called back. And after about five minutes of "Sir, all I can do is transfer your call," he starts demanding to know who is sitting next to me, above me, and my name. I wouldn't give him any of that information and he said "What, so you're in your little bubble over there?" Apparently he didn't care that all the execs are in a meeting or that his manager is out to lunch, he just wanted to speak to ANYONE who would talk to him. He was totally in your face confrontational, and asking me a ton of demeaning, condescending, nasty questions. I felt like saying "Keep going, mister, I'm your ONLY gateway to your party's extension and I can fuck up your chances of ever speaking to anyone at this company again."

SIGH.

But what I did was forward him to my coworker, who said "Ugh, this guy, he's so nasty everyone here knows who he is."

Probably has a little d*ck.

No, I'm not angry. Why do you ask?

JamieB
05-04-2009, 09:59 PM
YEAH, not fun. Sorry that you get yelled at. I worked for a catalogue distribution company that sells electronic components when 9/11 happened. You can't believe the people calling in having irate fits to our phone people because planes were grounded and they couldn't get their orders. HELLO? What can anyone do about that? It was crazy. I sympathize with you...

Sweetleaf
05-04-2009, 10:01 PM
You know what I hate? This is from working at a bank call centre.

It's the people who you give the same answer to over and over again, but they don't want to hear it and demand to speak to a supervisor, and then when they get the same answer from them, they're fine. It's like what the hell? I've just told you that 15 times and but if you hear it from him you're fine about it?

Do you think just because I answered the phone I'm f***ing stupid?

(getting irate for you now, Tomo :))

bettielee
05-04-2009, 10:07 PM
I totally feel your pain. I have answered phones and done customer service on said phones for 20 years (God help me Jesus save me) and this is all you can do about a$h holes. Go directly to Cold Stone Creamery. Order the large size peanut butter cup perfection in a chocolate dipped waffle cone, to go, 'cuz you don't want to be seen eating that in public. Take home, turn on movie, my preference would have George Clooney, maybe Daniel Craig. Insert spoon into ice cream, insert spoon into mouth. Sigh...

MaryMumsy
05-04-2009, 10:10 PM
I worked switchboard back in the day when it was really a switchboard. In the dorms it was irate boyfriends/wannabe boyfriends. What do you mean she isn't in? Where is she? Like I would know, it wasn't my week to watch her. At Sears it was complaints about delivery schedules, which were booked out of a different place, with a different main phone number. And any time I call somewhere and actually get to speak to the person instead of getting their voicemail, I consider it a minor miracle.

MM

scarletpeaches
05-04-2009, 10:18 PM
If you're bored, I can call you up to shoot the shit.

I've just read Twilight for the eleventy billionth time. We can talk about how hawt Edward is!!!!!!!1111!!!!!one!

Devil Ledbetter
05-04-2009, 10:33 PM
I felt like saying "Keep going, mister, I'm your ONLY gateway to your party's extension and I can fuck up your chances of ever speaking to anyone at this company again."
Umm, is this a customer?

Some customers are assholes and just need to be fired. The trouble they represent is not worth the business they bring. OTOH, if you're company is in the habit of stonewalling or ignoring every customer who has a problem it will be in trouble soon enough.

Have you considered listening to/taking a detailed note for someone who is frustrated with your company? How about offering an apology? "I'm so sorry Mr. Suchandso can't take your call just now. If you let me take a detailed message about what's gone wrong and what you'd like us to do to fix it, I'll be sure to see that he gets it."

Nothing calms people down faster than feeling like someone is actually listening to them.

You may be "just the temporary switchboard operator" but you are also the gateway to, and the voice of, your company. Also, a little heads-up ... the founder of our company has been known to call into the switchboard on occasion just to see how well it's being handled.

Sweetleaf
05-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Umm, is this a customer?

Some customers are assholes and just need to be fired. The trouble they represent is not worth the business they bring. OTOH, if you're company is in the habit of stonewalling or ignoring every customer who has a problem it will be in trouble soon enough.

Have you considered listening to/taking a detailed note for someone who is frustrated with your company? How about offering an apology? "I'm so sorry Mr. Suchandso can't take your call just now. If you let me take a detailed message about what's gone wrong and what you'd like us to do to fix it, I'll be sure to see that he gets it."

Nothing calms people down faster than feeling like someone is actually listening to them.

You may be "just the temporary switchboard operator" but you are also the gateway to, and the voice of, your company. Also, a little heads-up ... the founder of our company has been known to call into the switchboard on occasion just to see how well it's being handled.

While I appreciate / understand your point of view, and this may work sometimes, some people don't want you to take a message for them. They don't want to speak to a lowly operator at all. Nothing you say or do is going to make them happy, other than giving them what they want, which they can't have. I have repeated myself until I'm blue in the face, offering every option I am able to give, but it's just not good enough.

Some people simply don't want you to make them happy. They want to crush you on their path to someone else who will, because they see you as the symbol of their frustrations.

How many people do you know who have 'horror stories' about evil operators who wouldn't do as they were told? I know plenty.

I am always nice to operators now. It's never actually their fault.

KikiteNeko
05-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Umm, is this a customer?

He's not a customer, he's a client. The founder of the company is in the desk right across the hall and he's super busy, so I doubt he's wasting his time calling here to see how I'm answering the phones, but if he decides that's how he wants to spend his lunch break, I doubt he's going to call up pretending to be a total d*ckball, demanding my name and using vulgar language.

And another thing, I said "I'm sorry, sir, I can offer you her voicemail" a thousand times. I can't offer to take a message because the information exchanged between a client and a manager is confidential. All I am authorized to do is transfer calls. But he couldn't be satisfied with that. He just wanted to make someone feel like shit. That's the thing with the real estate brokers who call here. They all think they're too good for voicemail. No way in hell am I going to offer him more apologizes and sunshine and cuddles. He can go to hell.

Devil Ledbetter
05-05-2009, 12:51 AM
He's not a customer, he's a client. And the fundamental difference between a customer and client is?

But he couldn't be satisfied with that. He just wanted to make someone feel like shit. That's the thing with the real estate brokers who call here. They all think they're too good for voicemail. Real estate brokers? You should have said so in the first place. No wonder.

I am always nice to operators now. It's never actually their fault.I am too. I even say that to them.

KikiteNeko
05-05-2009, 12:54 AM
And the fundamental difference between a customer and client is?

Real estate brokers? You should have said so in the first place. No wonder.

Customers are the general public, whereas when a client calls, I look up their name in the system to see who they're working with and all their account info, and I'm only supposed to transfer him to the manager he's working with. I'll get chewed out or fired if I send him to anyone else because I'd be costing his assigned manager a commission. So if his manager is out of the office or not picking up for any reason, he has to leave a voicemail. There's literally nothing I can do for him. He wasn't accepting that, but what his pea brain didn't realize is that harassing and annoying me won't change the situation at all.

Sweetleaf
05-05-2009, 12:58 AM
You'd think it would be cheaper to give them a direct number and not employ you at all.

(Sorry if that sounds wrong)

Devil Ledbetter
05-05-2009, 12:59 AM
Customers are the general public, whereas when a client calls, I look up their name in the system to see who they're working with and all their account info, and I'm only supposed to transfer him to the manager he's working with. I'll get chewed out or fired if I send him to anyone else because I'd be costing his assigned manager a commission.Okay but you're missing my point. These clients are people your firm does business with, that they bill, and this is how they make their money, no?

That would be the same as a customer, even if they didn't just walk in off the street and their name is already on your database.

I get that you can't take detailed messages, give them to someone else, etc. Really, the managers they're assigned to should be servicing the clients better, not ignoring them and putting you in the path of the frustrations they create in these clients.

KikiteNeko
05-05-2009, 12:59 AM
You'd think it would be cheaper to give them a direct number and not employ you at all.

(Sorry if that sounds wrong)

But then who would be their punching bag?

Devil Ledbetter
05-05-2009, 01:02 AM
But then who would be their punching bag?If your managers were doing their jobs, there'd be no need for a punching bag.

I'm a big fan of live operators who can take messages, get you to the right person, etc. so I don't have to play mother-may-I with some maddening machine. "If you know your party's extension, press 1 now. If you don't know your party's extension, you are shit out of luck!"

KikiteNeko
05-05-2009, 01:03 AM
Okay but you're missing my point. These clients are people your firm does business with, that they bill, and this is how they make their money, no?

That would be the same as a customer, even if they didn't just walk in off the street and their name is already on your database.

I get that you can't take detailed messages, give them to someone else, etc. Really, the managers they're assigned to should be servicing the clients better, not ignoring them and putting you in the path of the frustrations they create in these clients.

No matter what, the guy had no reason to call up and be a total prick. I literally cannot imagine calling up a company and chewing out an operator because I don't feel like leaving a voicemail. But our account managers work soley off their commissions and they literally deal with 100+ clients per day, easy, so it's not unreasonable to ask a client to leave a voicemail and their call will be returned. I mean if you were calling a friend, and your friend didn't pick up the phone, would you leave a message or just call a hundred times an hour and yell at his roommate?

tjwriter
05-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Customers are the general public, whereas when a client calls, I look up their name in the system to see who they're working with and all their account info, and I'm only supposed to transfer him to the manager he's working with. I'll get chewed out or fired if I send him to anyone else because I'd be costing his assigned manager a commission. So if his manager is out of the office or not picking up for any reason, he has to leave a voicemail. There's literally nothing I can do for him. He wasn't accepting that, but what his pea brain didn't realize is that harassing and annoying me won't change the situation at all.

"I'm sorry sir, but this is procedure that I must follow. I'm not will to risk my position with the company by violating this procedure. Now, I will be happy to transfer you to the voicemail of XYZ or you may try to call again later."

I've had people yell at me for the stupidest things. Food service is just as bad as customer service as retail service. In fact, that service thing on the end of those really says something.

KikiteNeko
05-05-2009, 01:07 AM
"I'm sorry sir, but this is procedure that I must follow. I'm not will to risk my position with the company by violating this procedure. Now, I will be happy to transfer you to the voicemail of XYZ or you may try to call again later."

Oh yeah, this guy demanded I go and find the person he needed to speak with. This person is on the top floor and I'm on the bottom floor of this very large building, and when I told him I couldn't do that, he started saying "well so-and-so would do it" So-and-so is also on the top floor, which explains that, and so I offered to transfer him to his so-and-so, but he didn't want that either and he started yelling at me and saying "ARE YOU JUST IN A BUBBLE OR WHAT?"

God. I wanted to throttle him. Did his momma not teach him basic manners? I feel sorry for his wife.

backslashbaby
05-05-2009, 01:10 AM
:D

Yeah, I worked jobs that included Tech Support for years. Oh, the stories!!!

I really did try to do anything I could to help, but if you have rules that prevent you from doing more, that's all you can do. I did apologize if it ended up aggravating. I get aggravation :)

But if they got abusive, then it's "I'm sorry I can't help you more. If there is nothing else, I have other calls that need my attention."

Like you have time to listen to it just to listen to it, you know?

bettielee
05-05-2009, 01:16 AM
But then who would be their punching bag?

'zactly! Some people just want to be unpleasant and unhappy, and no matter what you do, it doesn't work, they just want to make someone feel like crap, preferably a nameless, faceless person that they can assume they are better than.

I feel ya, as I said. All you can do is roll your eyes and drip honey from your tongue, so they have no real reason to be so evil. It is hard and thankless.

Sweetleaf
05-05-2009, 01:20 AM
When I was in a bank call centre we used to get the guys (always men!) who's say 'I've banked with you for xx years and I've got xx dollars with you and I'll just take my business elsewhere!'

Umm... I don't care how much money you have, NO ONE cares how long you've banked with us and it's not going to change the answer. Sorry. Take your money somewhere else, you're not worth the aggravation.

It's never rich people. I've found the rich people don't need to behave that way, they don't have to prove anything. It's the ones that think they're rich, and have around the $500k mark. They still need to prove how well they've done and think they can do so by acting like an asshole.

Devil Ledbetter
05-05-2009, 01:22 AM
No matter what, the guy had no reason to call up and be a total prick. I literally cannot imagine calling up a company and chewing out an operator because I don't feel like leaving a voicemail. But our account managers work soley off their commissions and they literally deal with 100+ clients per day, easy, so it's not unreasonable to ask a client to leave a voicemail and their call will be returned. I mean if you were calling a friend, and your friend didn't pick up the phone, would you leave a message or just call a hundred times an hour and yell at his roommate?Calm down. I wasn't defending the guy. I already said some customers (clients) should just be fired. No, nobody should be a dick to you know matter how unresponsive their overburdoned account manager is.

Millicent M'Lady
05-05-2009, 01:30 AM
Where I work, if you are transferring a person to another department, there is a short pause (there's no hold music). I have lost count of the times people have called back immediately after I have transferred them to bawl me out for cutting them off, even in the cases where I have explained to them that they will hear this. Grr...

Worse still are those people who ring to complain about something and really go off on a rant but when you offer to get the relevant person who can handle the complaint they tell you, no thanks, I just wanted to let somebody know. So why ring in the first place?!

Anyway, rant over! Tomo, does the company not have a policy for fielding abusive calls? No one should be allowed to patronise you and demonish you in this way, no matter how big the client.

KikiteNeko
05-05-2009, 01:32 AM
No one should be allowed to patronise you and demonish you in this way, no matter how big the client.

I'm willing to bet there's nothing big about this client. IfyouknowwhatI'msaying.

Millicent M'Lady
05-05-2009, 01:38 AM
I'm willing to bet there's nothing big about this client. IfyouknowwhatI'msaying.

I think I can guess! :D

He sounds like a complete douche. Try the faulty connection trick a few times and see if he gets the picture.

I'm having trouble trying to... you... Connection... bad... Face like... An ass... gotta...little...Will he?... etc. etc. ;)

KikiteNeko
05-05-2009, 01:40 AM
I think I can guess! :D

He sounds like a complete douche. Try the faulty connection trick a few times and see if he gets the picture.

I'm having trouble trying to... you... Connection... bad... Face like... An ass... gotta...little...Will he?... etc. etc. ;)

Hmm... Maybe I should keep a candy wrapper by the phone so I can crinkle it over the receiver when he calls.

Millicent M'Lady
05-05-2009, 01:41 AM
Hmm... Maybe I should keep a candy wrapper by the phone so I can crinkle it over the receiver when he calls.

It could work!;)

backslashbaby
05-05-2009, 01:45 AM
I'm having trouble trying to... you... Connection... bad... Face like... An ass... gotta...little...Will he?... etc. etc.

:roll:

...picture this: Friday night, drunkish client. New installation CD won't work. Much abuse hurled. In the end, I'm told I'm a b!tch because [wait for it]...

I didn't tell him he needed to put the CD in the computer!

KikiteNeko
05-05-2009, 01:50 AM

...picture this: Friday night, drunkish client. New installation CD won't work. Much abuse hurled. In the end, I'm told I'm a b!tch because [wait for it]...

I wouldn't have told him to put it in the computer. I would have told him to put it elsewhere.

backslashbaby
05-05-2009, 01:53 AM
Uh-huh.

I think he's the only one who really got to me any, but the you b!tch part could've had something to do with that.

Millicent M'Lady
05-05-2009, 01:55 AM

:ROFL:

This one slightly beats that! http://help.funnypart.com/

There's no helping some people!

backslashbaby
05-05-2009, 02:02 AM
This one slightly beats that! http://help.funnypart.com/

There's no helping some people!

Uh-huh!!!! :D

We did have that, actually. But it was more like (after a few reports of an outage):

Hello?

Hello. My screen just went all black...

Umm-hmmm; Power outage (with a smile).

OMG. Bwahaha. How stupid am I?

-- Repeat a dozen times :)

Millicent M'Lady
05-05-2009, 02:07 AM
Uh-huh!!!! :D

We did have that, actually. But it was more like (after a few reports of an outage):

Hello?

Hello. My screen just went all black...

Umm-hmmm; Power outage (with a smile).

OMG. Bwahaha. How stupid am I?

-- Repeat a dozen times :)

At least those people realised their stupidity! How confident do you have to be to admit to your stupidity and have the person fired for it?!

backslashbaby
05-05-2009, 02:12 AM
LOL, true! I didn't think of that part :D

Ken
05-05-2009, 02:27 AM
... leave the phone off the hook all day, by accident ;-)

KikiteNeko
05-05-2009, 02:55 AM
... leave the phone off the hook all day, by accident ;-)

Phone doesn't work that way. If I took the phone off the hook, there would still be 11 active lines that could ring.

Silver King
05-05-2009, 04:18 AM
...But what I did was forward him to my coworker, who said "Ugh, this guy, he's so nasty everyone here knows who he is."

Probably has a little d*ck.

That's twice in this thread that you've degraded men by assuming they act a certain way based upon a part of their physical anatomy. How, exactly, can you tell the size of a man's package when you're talking to him on the phone? Do you have that much world experience to back up your claim, that men with small cocks are rude to switchboard operators?

I'm at a loss to understand your reasoning, so I'd appreciate if you'd expand your theory to explain how you've reached your conclusion.

Pagey's_Girl
05-05-2009, 04:19 AM
And of course, there's always the lovely person who calls you every rude name in the book because you transferred them to the extension they wanted and they got - gasp - voice mail. No, I didn't know he/she wasn't at his/her desk. They're on the third floor. I'm on the first. The floors are not glass. And I don't have x-ray vision. And if they're taking a potty break, I really don't care to have it...

Clair Dickson
05-05-2009, 04:33 AM
Write a story where he dies a slow, painful, slow agonizing death. (Yes, slow is there twice on purpose.)

At least, that's what I do. Well, I did when I worked in retail. Working with high school students mean too many articles in the paper where they do die... I don't need that sort of karma.

Some people are abusive, particularly to those in service industries who are not allowed to fight back. I think it's a power thing and it's not related to size or possession of any piece of anatomy. I was shocked, a couple years back, when my mom snarled at a pharmacy clerk about the wait time for my prescription. This was AFTER I had started working in retail-- the idea that she could treat a retail employee that way was horrifying. But it fit with her idea that her kids were better than retail...

KikiteNeko
05-05-2009, 04:35 AM
And of course, there's always the lovely person who calls you every rude name in the book because you transferred them to the extension they wanted and they got - gasp - voice mail. No, I didn't know he/she wasn't at his/her desk. They're on the third floor. I'm on the first. The floors are not glass. And I don't have x-ray vision. And if they're taking a potty break, I really don't care to have it...

People like this guy are the reason I hate when I get assigned jobs that deal with the general public. My last job was no picnic party either, but at least I didn't have to deal with the public.

KikiteNeko
05-05-2009, 04:38 AM
Write a story where he dies a slow, painful, slow agonizing death. (Yes, slow is there twice on purpose.)

At least, that's what I do. Well, I did when I worked in retail. Working with high school students mean too many articles in the paper where they do die... I don't need that sort of karma.

Some people are abusive, particularly to those in service industries who are not allowed to fight back. I think it's a power thing and it's not related to size or possession of any piece of anatomy. I was shocked, a couple years back, when my mom snarled at a pharmacy clerk about the wait time for my prescription. This was AFTER I had started working in retail-- the idea that she could treat a retail employee that way was horrifying. But it fit with her idea that her kids were better than retail...

It drives me totally batty. Maybe it's because I've worked retail and as a phone operator for so long, but I'm never rude to a cashier/operator when they're just trying to do their job. If any person were to talk to me this way outside of work, I'd tell him where to shove the business end of a pencil, but you're right, I am not allowed to fight back at work, so they feel the need to get all their rage out on me without giving any indication that they understand I am a human being.

Sweetleaf
05-05-2009, 04:41 AM
That's twice in this thread that you've degraded men by assuming they act a certain way based upon a part of their physical anatomy. How, exactly, can you tell the size of a man's package when you're talking to him on the phone? Do you have that much world experience to back up your claim, that men with small cocks are rude to switchboard operators?

I'm at a loss to understand your reasoning, so I'd appreciate if you'd expand your theory to explain how you've reached your conclusion.

That theory's in the same place as the one that women with large breasts are stupid and just want you to stare at them. :D

Silver King
05-05-2009, 05:10 AM
That theory's in the same place as the one that women with large breasts are stupid and just want you to stare at them. :D
I understand that misconception, but I'd like Tomo to respond to my earlier post. She did at first, then deleted her thoughts.

It means a lot to me, not only as a man, but as a mod to this room. If you're going to throw around speculations about people, then I expect you would at least back up your claims with something other than just anger or conjecture.

Can you imagine the fallout if a man had come in here and proclaimed that women with small breasts are always a pain in the ass? Or that women with small pussies are always bitches when you talk to them on the phone?

At this point, I'm more than just curious how Tomo came to her understanding of men she encounters on the phone, since it's a prevailing theme in this thread.

Chumplet
05-05-2009, 05:11 AM
Okay...

Anyway, I was gonna say that I work for a newspaper and our receptionist looks like she's going to bust a vein every time the phone rings. She gets calls from customers who didn't get their FREE paper and want their money back for the garage sale they paid twenty bucks for. Forget that 221,000 other people read about their lousy garage sale.

We had a regular caller who kept one line tied up with drunken rants about aliens or some such. After checking with authorities to make sure she wasn't suicidal, we just let her ramble on for ten minutes or so on speaker phone until she ran out of steam.

We had another Classified customer who refused to speak to a woman because he placed a personal ad for a 'companion', and the companion took his money and jewellery, then ran off. He wanted the newspaper to compensate him for his losses. Since the whole classified department is female, Mary connected him with Dave, our Retail manager.

My co-worker and I stood outside Dave's door while he tried to calm the guy down. "Sorry, sir, we can't compensate you for the diamond ring you bought for the lady. We can, however, refund the twenty dollars for the Classified ad."

I almost peed with laughter.

KikiteNeko
05-05-2009, 05:12 AM
I understand that misconception, but I'd like Tomo to respond to my earlier post. She did at first, then deleted her thoughts.

It means a lot to me, not only as a man, but as a mod to this room. If you're going to throw around speculations about people, then I expect you would at least back up your claims with something other than just anger or conjecture.

Can you imagine the fallout if a man had come in here and proclaimed that women with small breasts are always a pain in the ass? Or that women with small pussies are always bitches when you talk to them on the phone?

At this point, I'm more than just curious how Tomo came to her understanding of men she encounters on the phone, since it's a prevailing theme in this thread.

Not looking for an argument and I'm trying my gosh darndest not to let you reel me into one. I'm venting and if if you're offended by my comments, well, there's some proof that everyone is offended by something one says in life.

Have a nice day :)

KikiteNeko
05-05-2009, 05:16 AM
Okay...

Anyway, I was gonna say that I work for a newspaper and our receptionist looks like she's going to bust a vein every time the phone rings. She gets calls from customers who didn't get their FREE paper and want their money back for the garage sale they paid twenty bucks for. Forget that 221,000 other people read about their lousy garage sale.

We had a regular caller who kept one line tied up with drunken rants about aliens or some such. After checking with authorities to make sure she wasn't suicidal, we just let her ramble on for ten minutes or so on speaker phone until she ran out of steam.

We had another Classified customer who refused to speak to a woman because he placed a personal ad for a 'companion', and the companion took his money and jewellery, then ran off. He wanted the newspaper to compensate him for his losses. Since the whole classified department is female, Mary connected him with Dave, our Retail manager.

My co-worker and I stood outside Dave's door while he tried to calm the guy down. "Sorry, sir, we can't compensate you for the diamond ring you bought for the lady. We can, however, refund the twenty dollars for the Classified ad."

I almost peed with laughter.

See, but at least those irate callers are the kind you can chuckle about later. This guy was just plain nasty.

Silver King
05-05-2009, 05:25 AM
Not looking for an argument and I'm trying my gosh darndest not to let you reel me into one. I'm venting and if if you're offended by my comments, well, there's some proof that everyone is offended by something one says in life.

Have a nice day :)
That's it? That's all you have to offer?

Well I'm disappointed. I thought at least you'd tell us why the customers who berate you have small cocks. I thought we'd learn something, but apparently, the disparity exists in your mind alone, and since you won't share it with us, there's no need to continue this discussion.

Closing this one. You are welcome to share your displeasure with Mac or a Super of your choice.

poetinahat
05-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Just adding something to Silver King's eloquent response:

"Hey, I'm venting" does not impart diplomatic immunity. It doesn't allow the venter to make blanket generalisations or use offensive terms, any more than turning your blinkers on makes it legal to park in a tow-away zone.

And reacting to a mod's advice with "you're just easily offended" ain't gonna play either. (Actually, the quote was "everyone is offended by something one says in life". I don't think that's quite what was meant, but meh..)

This is an all ages board (except in specified, well-identified places), and 99.999% of the time, people keep that in mind very well. For the other 0.001%: Let the heat of the moment pass, and I think you'll see why the anatomy comments were out of line.