PDA

View Full Version : Would You?

JJ Cooper
05-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Question I'm pondering for a future thriller. Would really appreciate feedback.

Would you give up your life for your child?

Scenario: Your child has 24 hours to live. Rare condition with only one known cure availanle. Bad guy has the cure and agrees to part with it. Problem is, he wants to sleep with you (male or female) for the cure. On top of it all he is not willing to wear protection and also carries the AIDS virus.

Me - I'd do it if it means my child would live. How about you?

JJ

Cassiopeia
05-04-2009, 03:44 PM
I want to say no I wouldn't. I wish I could say no but the truth is, I'd say yes. I already know from past experience that when your child is in trouble, no matter what that trouble is, I'll walk through hell to save them.

BarbaraKE
05-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Of course I'd do it.

MaLanie1971
05-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Thank god that won't be happening in my life. But yes, I would lay my life down for my child.

AngelRoseDarke
05-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Yep. I'd do it without a second thought.

Alpha Echo
05-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Wow, nice story line idea...and yes! No question. If that was the only way to save my child's life, I wouldn't even need to think about it. I'd need to prepare for it - mentally, emotionally, even financially so that I knew my child was secure - but that would come after the remedy for my child's illness was in my hands.

Adam
05-04-2009, 05:42 PM
I have no children, and never intend to have any children, as I hate the little gits.

But yes, in a heartbeat.

firedrake
05-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Yes, I'd definitely do it.

scarletpeaches
05-04-2009, 05:47 PM
I have no children, and never intend to have any children, as I hate the little gits.

But yes, in a heartbeat.

I have no children and never intend to have any also.

But I would say no.

CarolSanDiego
05-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Interesting premise. Most parents would probably do anything to save their child, I imagine. And writing a character who wouldn't - hmmm.

That said - some logistical info:

There is a post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) treatment for HIV - most useful when administered immediately after exposure and up to 72 hours afterward. I think it is standard fare at hospitals for things like accidental needle pricks.

Here's an article from 2007 that says "morning after" treatments can reduce infection by 80%:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/morning-after-drugs-cut-hiv-risk-by-80-1270513.html

There's probably more info out there. Sorry if this blows a huge hole in your premise! I work in the medical field, so it immediately struck me that there might be a plausibility problem-

dpaterso
05-04-2009, 07:46 PM
What age is the brat? And is the bad guy good-looking?

-Derek

wannawrite
05-04-2009, 09:19 PM
UH, YES! They already own me, heart, mind, body and soul. Not only would I die for them, but I live for them, too. I would kill, maim, shred and blister anyone who ever hurt them. Die for them? In a heartbeat.

Now, that having been said, where are the little monsters, anyway? Oh, yeah. I locked them in the closet....

Cassiopeia
05-05-2009, 01:21 AM
Now, there's a nice twist. Plan to sleep with the irreparable bloke...convince him you are all in and then when you know where the cure is and are certain you have it, methodically murder him or just kill him quick for the scumbag he is.

I totally believe in plotting revenge and a scoundrel like this is worthy of creatively measuring out every bit of torment you can come up with for him. :D

rhymegirl
05-05-2009, 01:46 AM
I've always said I'd throw myself in front of a train to save my kids so yeah, I guess I'd have to do it.

MissKris
05-05-2009, 01:53 AM
I would - I think most parents would (see above comments).

What might be particularly interesting is if the parent has something really, really important to live for. Say, she is [I]this close[I] to the cure for a deadly, humanity threatening virus. And she's the only person who could possibly finish it. Now, does she possibly die for her child, or does she let her child die knowing that she might be able to save millions?

Um, that's not the plot of your book is it?

Sophia
05-05-2009, 02:09 AM
I would, because as far as I know even full-blown AIDS isn't an immediate death sentence. The drug regime can be painful and very unpleasant, or it might not be too bad (I've seen reports of both extremes) and there are people with AIDS alive now who were first diagnosed with HIV in the 1980s, with little sign of further deterioration (from a documentary a year or so ago). So having the disease itself doesn't mean the end of everything.

Also, unless I'm completely incapacitated, it seems that sleeping with the guy provides an opportunity to do him a lot of harm, and perhaps incapacitate him. I could brush up on some techniques and try them out when he's distracted. Or take a hypodermic needle with a sedative with me. Who says I have to be weak and helpless?

Perks
05-05-2009, 02:39 AM
I'd do it. I'd likely even do the 'indecent proposal' scenario, and send my husband off on his own, if the tables were turned. (And don't go trying to make me cry by pointing out what that makes me. I've been that step ahead and am unbovv-ed by it. ;))

But I do find these types of scenarios hard to take seriously, that the fate of anything hinges on a bonking. It's a hard sell, JJ, but you're the dude with the contract and the big blurbs, so, good luck and godspeed!a

Susan Breen
05-05-2009, 03:23 AM
I suspect most parents would give up their lives for their kids, so I wonder if you'd want to do something to make the choice less inevitable. Maybe it's a stepchild (not that I mean anything bad about stepchildren). Maybe the parent was raped as a young woman?

scarletpeaches
05-05-2009, 03:25 AM
Maybe the planned story is about a parent who says no.

som1luvsmi
05-05-2009, 03:35 AM
Today, my kids are bickering, loud, and threatening to send me so far over the edge that they'll probably send me to the loony bin any minute. I have more than once had the thought that I would like to trade them in for different models or put them up on ebay(no, I would never really do that!). That being said, when it comes down to it, there is NO power on earth that could keep me from doing whatever it takes to keep them safe, let alone, alive.

Alitra
05-05-2009, 05:18 AM
My kids are grown up and living on their own, and I would not hesitate to do it. I don't think there would be any point in our lives that I would not do it.

Ms Hollands
05-05-2009, 10:37 AM

But yes, in a heartbeat.

My feelings exactly.

JJ Cooper
05-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks all for your responses.

Nothing is 'locked in' for the story - just throwing around some ideas at the moment.

Cheers,

JJ

scarletpeaches
05-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Sounds like the sort of blurb that would catch my attention anyway, however your parent decides. :)

RJK
05-05-2009, 07:49 PM
You're all overlooking the fact that you are trusting a person who has the morals of a rabid snake. If he has the power to save your child and refuses to do so, what makes you think he'll honor any agreement you make with him?
This is a clear case for calling on Jack Bauer for assistance.

euclid
05-05-2009, 07:57 PM
I'd be flattered... I'd probably insist on a nice meal with a bottle of red wine beforehand. How old is this kid? Is he/she old enough to fend for itself?

C.bronco
05-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Question I'm pondering for a future thriller. Would really appreciate feedback.

Absolutely, yes.

scarletpeaches
05-05-2009, 08:10 PM
You're all overlooking the fact that you are trusting a person who has the morals of a rabid snake. If he has the power to save your child and refuses to do so, what makes you think he'll honor any agreement you make with him?

Good point. I'd be concerned about the reliability of said cure.

Then again, do we need an excuse to call on Jack Bauer?

Cassiopeia
05-05-2009, 08:22 PM
*raises hand* um...who is Jack Bauer?

scarletpeaches
05-05-2009, 08:23 PM
The hero (*swoon*) of 24. :e2brows:

Cassiopeia
05-05-2009, 08:24 PM
oh EW...keiffer is just EW

Mr Flibble
05-05-2009, 11:22 PM
I agree to sleep with him with, get him all hot and heavy, whap him one to knock him out and leg it with the cure.

Unless he's very fit obviously...

dgiharris
05-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Just wanted to add that unprotected sex doesn't always result in an STD being transmitted.

My statistics are going to be off, but I remember reading an article that if a man has unprotected sex with someone with AIDS, then he has a 30% chance of getting it and that if a woman had unprotected sex with someone with AIDS, she has an 70% chance of getting it. Also, the transmission statistics shoot way up for anal sex.

Basically, its not a 100% guarantee. Also, AIDS is a very treatable disease now.

Mel...

benbradley
05-06-2009, 01:03 AM
I don't have children, and if I did I don't know which way I'd answer the question (that statement could't possibly come back to bite me, could it???).

But the premise reminds me of this real-life situation (different from your premise in that the demand was a half million dollars cash) that I vaguely remember from the news when it happened in 1968 (I was 11 years old). It was mentioned on the radio a few months ago, I didn't remember the woman's name when it was said, but when I heard it described as "A woman buried alive (in a box with a ventilation fan) for ransom" the story came back to me from way back when, and I found this article on it (about 4000 words and and chock full of drama - perhaps a good novel or movie could be based on it):

http://www.lindseywilliams.org/index.htm?Articles/How_Barbara_Mackle_Was_Kidnapped_And_Buried_Alive. htm~mainFrame

Gretad08
05-06-2009, 02:15 AM
Yep

It's funny how parenthood (for most) really forces out the selfless sides of our personalities.

Greenwolf103
05-06-2009, 02:27 AM
Right off the top of my head, I would say yes. I'd do it. Why? My child(ren) come first. As most parents will tell you. :)

However...

Hasn't something like this been done before? I mean, a lot of times, the guy is sleazy and decides not to meet his part of the deal after the deed is done. It's been known to happen (not with me) so I'd have certain doubts over the whole arrangement.

Just my 2 cents.

Soccer Mom
05-06-2009, 03:06 AM
Yup, I'd do it. And once I had the cure, I'd probably hunt down the bastard and kill him.

Then again, I'm a native Texan.

SouthernFriedJulie
05-06-2009, 03:09 AM
I'd let him do whatever he wanted.

But I'd douche with pure lemon juice before AND after. It kills sperm and HIV on contact according to latest science. It is being touted to 3rd world countries.

But, even if I couldn't, for the kid, yes.

AZ_Dawn
05-06-2009, 03:49 AM
And this is why my answer would not only be no, but #&%% NO! Forget the safety issues, forget the 12 years of Sunday school morality, forget the deep-seated disgust at the idea of me having sex with anyone this scuzbucket wouldn't get past my complete and total lack of trust of anyone who threatens me and mine. Combine that with my healthy trust in the police and the number 911, and the &%$@ is goin' down!:e2beat:

I'd rather hire the A Team (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheATeam), myself. They'd grab the cure, humiliate the guy and his flunkies using DIY weaponry, then hang him out to dry for the cops (who'd arrive 3 seconds after the van sped off, of course ;) ).

Barb D
05-06-2009, 07:23 AM

Exactly, so no.

I'd do whatever I could to FORCE him to give me the cure. I'm sure the courts would be on my side.

RunawayScribe
05-06-2009, 07:35 AM
I don't have children, but I think I'd do it. I'd have no real choice.

Willowmound
05-06-2009, 02:18 PM

Scenario: Your child has 24 hours to live. Rare condition with only one known cure availanle. Bad guy has the cure and agrees to part with it. Problem is, he wants to sleep with you (male or female) for the cure. On top of it all he is not willing to wear protection and also carries the AIDS virus.

Me - I'd do it if it means my child would live. How about you?

Any parent saying no to this should be disqualified for life and sent to live in a box.

scarletpeaches
05-06-2009, 02:42 PM
In your opinion.

Willowmound
05-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Well obviously. I'm not in the habit of posting other peoples' opinions.

Of course, all my opinions are the correct ones. But that's beside the point.

dpaterso
05-06-2009, 03:09 PM
You know what they say about opinions.

-Derek

Willowmound
05-06-2009, 03:24 PM
That they're delicious fried?

heyjude
05-06-2009, 09:57 PM
As a parent I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Done well this could be a compelling, sickening, fascinating storyline.

euclid
05-12-2009, 02:00 PM
I don't think such a storyline would appeal to me (as a reader), JJ. Also, I remember an agent who listed all sorts of crazy storylines that he did not want to read; one of them was: "Using HIV/AIDS as a weapon".

BillTrain
05-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Risking HIV exposure's not exactly stepping in front of a bullet. Like some posters have mentioned, there's no 100% transmission, there's post-exposure prophylaxis, and even if HIV is contracted, I'd probably still have decades (with a bunch of anti-retrovirals on board). So, if my child had 24hrs left, absolutely.
Cheers,
BT

dgiharris
05-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Also,

the most plausible plotline for having to die for your kid is in the movie John Q with Denzel Washington

Or a scenario like at the end of Titanic or Posiedon (with Kurt Russel)

or, the Parent has to do a mission and the mission is SO DANGEROUS that it is a one way ticket with a super low probability of coming back alive.

Or, perhaps the parent has a daily medical regiment required to live (similar to diabetes or dialysis) and that the mission he has to go on to save his child will take him from his regiment and he will die as a result. You'd have to be creative in coming up with a regiment meeting this requirement (or inventing one).

Anyways, good luck with this

Mel...

Gray Rose
05-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Would I give up my life for my child? Absolutely.

Would I screw with some crazy-ass villain (infected or not) on a promise that maybe he will later give me the cure? No way in hell. Besides, adultery is wrong.

I would find some other way to get the cure and rough up the bastard. You know what they say - don't mess up with Russians.

While most parents would give their lives for their child, it is also very important to remember that a child needs his parents (preferably) alive. I, for one, would feel morally obligated to save both of us, because being dead I would be of no use to him whatsoever.