PDA

View Full Version : I'm pregnant.

JoNightshade
05-04-2009, 01:33 AM
Yes, my husband and I discussed this, yes, I decided to go off birth control in January, yes, we are financially okay, yes this was expected, but...

BUT

OMG I AM PREGNANT. I am freaking out here. No way we're going to tell anyone we know in real life until it's been a month or two, but... AAAAAAGH! I am happy - I was grinning like a fool 10 minutes ago when I saw those two red lines - and yet totally, utterly freaked out. Like, there's no going back now. This is it. And am I ready? Can I do this? How can I POSSIBLY BE A MOM?! Who would let me do that?!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I'm going to screw up! I can't possibly be responsible for another human being!

I guess... I guess I was just really expecting to have to wait for this until I REALLY REALLY wanted a baby super bad. My grandma took a decade to get pregnant. My mother tried for several years before I was born. Everyone I know is dying to have a kid and going through years of fertility treatments.

And me?

I go off birth control thinking, well, it happens when it happens, I just won't think about it, and maybe in a year or two... and if it doesn't happen, we'll look at adoption, whatever...

No. No year or two. 4 months.

:cry::hooray::eek:

jst5150
05-04-2009, 01:35 AM
You'll do great. Congratulations!

Angie
05-04-2009, 01:39 AM
That's usually when stuff happens -- when you say "No big deal, what will be will be". ;)

Congratulations!

A. Hamilton
05-04-2009, 01:42 AM
awww, -that's wonderful news! it's natural t have a surge of emotions..(ha-get used to that, it never ends ;) )
you'll do great.
I highly recommend the book 'What to Expect When You're Expecting"

hehee.happy Mothers Day

dolores haze
05-04-2009, 01:45 AM
Congratulations to you and your husband!

Perks
05-04-2009, 01:50 AM
Congratulations! You'll do fine. It's a crazy old science project, to be sure.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-04-2009, 01:56 AM
So much better you than me! Congratulations! :)

rhymegirl
05-04-2009, 01:59 AM
Congrats!

You can do it. I read a lot of childbirth/raising kids books when I was having my first. Then, once I had him, I tossed the books aside and just decided to do what I thought worked best.

Mr Flibble
05-04-2009, 02:10 AM
OOOOOOH! Congratz!

I'm going to screw up! I can't possibly be responsible for another human being! I felt like that for nine months. I wasn't pregnant, I was fat in a specific place. That moving? An alien? Must be. I had dreams of giving birth and saying to the midwife 'Actually I've changed my mind, I'm not ready'. I was worried I would have to be a grown up now. Me? Grown up and, like, responsible? Sensible? Other words ending in 'ible'?

I have screwed up, but hey, the kids are alive and happy. And it's good for hem to see adults aren't perfect ( my excuse, sticking to it)But the best bit is they love it best when you're not being the grown up, so it's a great excuse to unleash your inner silly person.

You'll be fine, you'll be you, only a mum as well.

*huge huggles*

JoNightshade
05-04-2009, 02:16 AM
I felt like that for nine months. I wasn't pregnant, I was fat in a specific place. That moving? An alien? Must be. I had dreams of giving birth and saying to the midwife 'Actually I've changed my mind, I'm not ready'. I was worried I would have to be a grown up now. Me? Grown up and, like, responsible? Sensible? Other words ending in 'ible'

:ROFL: Yes, this is exactly how I feel right now. We just visited some friends who had a baby recently and I remarked to my husband that I could only imagine being pregnant as that scene from ALIEN where the creature bursts out of the guy's stomach.

Also, this entire month? I was having dreams of giving birth to these tiny, weird, deformed babies that die horribly as soon as they come out. I thought it was because we were visiting some friends and their new baby.

And my husband just called me Mommy. This is surreal.

Calla Lily
05-04-2009, 02:19 AM
Congrats! You'll be fine. My kids aren't too warped despite having me for a mom. :tongue

Enjoy!

rhymegirl
05-04-2009, 02:20 AM
Jo, my firstborn just came home tonight to have his birthday cake.

He's 23 now. He's a smart and nice young man, so I know I must have done something right.

dgrintalis
05-04-2009, 02:31 AM
Congratulations! And I totally understand the Alien feeling. When I was eight months pregnant with my daughter, she would roll from side to side and all I could think was "there is something moving and it isn't me"!

Ken Schneider
05-04-2009, 02:33 AM
Good for you. I'm glad you're happy.

I do have one question.

Did you get pee on your hand?

JoNightshade
05-04-2009, 02:41 AM
Good for you. I'm glad you're happy.

I do have one question.

Did you get pee on your hand?

Oh please. As if. ;)

Siddow
05-04-2009, 02:43 AM
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha*cough*sputter*ahem*

Congrats! :)

WendyNYC
05-04-2009, 02:54 AM
Oh yay! Congrats, Jo! That's great!

Williebee
05-04-2009, 02:55 AM
I'm going to screw up! I can't possibly be responsible for another human being!

Yes, you will. And Yes, you CAN.

Congratulations. Cool stuff awaits.

robeiae
05-04-2009, 02:58 AM
Congrats, Jo!

*checks old schedule for verifiable alibis, just in case*

kristie911
05-04-2009, 03:04 AM
Congrats Jo! Very happy for you!

suki
05-04-2009, 03:07 AM
Congratulations! Good vibes for an easy pregnancy heading your way...

~suki

CACTUSWENDY
05-04-2009, 03:11 AM
WTG...congratz to you both. Because you admit that you do not know it all....you will do fine. A whole new world is going to open up for you guys. Best wishes.

Susie
05-04-2009, 03:15 AM
That's wonderfully superb, Jo. Bet you'll be terrific! Congrats and way2go and definitely calls for :Cake:! :)

wyntermoon
05-04-2009, 03:40 AM
Wonderful news! I know what you're talking about though, when baby #1 arrived I felt like I was the sitter and just waited for her mom to show up -- by baby #5, I knew she was long gone...

NeuroFizz
05-04-2009, 03:51 AM
Excellent news, Jo.

There are two miracles at work here. The first is obvious. You've made someone who is part you and part your husband. That is probably the best accomplishment you'll complete in your life and the whole biology part of it really is a miracle.

The second miracle is something that may sneak up on you--it's that mysterious thing called maternal instinct/maternal intuition, and it will build and grow through the pregnancy, really kick in once the child appears, and likely never go away until you're in your grave.

Enjoy every bit of this (except for the morning sickness, if it comes).

clockwork
05-04-2009, 04:11 AM
Congratulations, Jo. What wonderful news to share. :Hug2:

JoNightshade
05-04-2009, 04:58 AM
Excellent news, Jo.

There are two miracles at work here. The first is obvious. You've made someone who is part you and part your husband. That is probably the best accomplishment you'll complete in your life and the whole biology part of it really is a miracle.

The second miracle is something that may sneak up on you--it's that mysterious thing called maternal instinct/maternal intuition, and it will build and grow through the pregnancy, really kick in once the child appears, and likely never go away until you're in your grave.

Enjoy every bit of this (except for the morning sickness, if it comes).

Well said, Neuro! Thanks for the well-wishes! Definitely looking forward to miracle #2. ;)

And thank you to everyone else as well!

One thing I am looking forward to: being able to eat a TON. ;) I have been consuming mass quantities of food for the last two weeks with almost no output. I thought I was constipated!

benbradley
05-04-2009, 05:21 AM
Yes, my husband and I discussed this, yes, I decided to go off birth control in January, yes, we are financially okay, yes this was expected, but...

BUT

OMG I AM PREGNANT. I am freaking out here. No way we're going to tell anyone we know in real life until it's been a month or two, but... AAAAAAGH! I am happy - I was grinning like a fool 10 minutes ago when I saw those two red lines - and yet totally, utterly freaked out.
Oh, so you were CHECKING, huh? Well, about a year or two ago there was a similar, but fairly explicitly titled thread along those lines(!), which inspired this thing:
http://www.musicalgearbox.com/6_stick.mp3
You can play that for your hubby, if you dare... :D

Oh, and congratulations!:hooray::Jump::Clap::snoopy:

Devil Ledbetter
05-04-2009, 05:23 AM
Congrats, Jo. I wish you the most boring pregnancy ever.

One thing I am looking forward to: being able to eat a TON. ;) Best of luck with that. Just make sure it's not something you'll mind so much when it comes back up later.

sheadakota
05-04-2009, 05:28 AM
Jo, you will be the best Mommy ever- believe it- somehow it all works out- you figure out the rules as you go- just love the little critter and they love you back- how cool is that?

Major congrats!

Wayne K
05-04-2009, 05:40 AM
:e2bike2::e2dance: congratulations.

JoNightshade
05-04-2009, 05:48 AM
Oh, so you were CHECKING, huh? Well, about a year or two ago there was a similar, but fairly explicitly titled thread along those lines(!), which inspired this thing:
http://www.musicalgearbox.com/6_stick.mp3
You can play that for your hubby, if you dare... :D

LOL! About the stick-peeing... I'm sorta in trouble for that one. ;) I was only 2 days late, and my hubby was like "YOU ARE NOT PREGNANT, YOU WILL NOT TEST UNTIL YOU ARE AT LEAST TWO WEEKS LATE!"

Whereupon I bought a kit, snuck it into the bathroom, and tested. Then I said, "Come here! I have something to show you!"

Muahahahaha! I knew I was pregnant. ;)

kristie911
05-04-2009, 06:10 AM
Like he really thought you could wait two weeks?!

Guys are so clueless about this stuff. :)

JoNightshade
05-04-2009, 06:18 AM
Like he really thought you could wait two weeks?!

Guys are so clueless about this stuff. :)

You know what his response was? "I knew you were pregnant but I wanted you to hold off on testing because I KNEW you were going to freak out!"

Like I wouldn't freak out in two weeks, too? And like I wouldn't be obsessing even more in the meantime?

Yeah, clueless. ;)

Silver King
05-04-2009, 06:43 AM
You are beautiful now, but you will become even more attractive as the months go by. You may not believe it, even when people tell you how lovely you are and mean every word. There might come a time when you can hardly stand yourself, yet folks will tell you how beautiful you are and reach for your expanding body as if by instinct to feel the force of life you carry.

And then you will know how truly lovely you are, and feel the pull of existence you share with another living form.

Jersey Chick
05-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Yay and congratulations!

The fun is just beginning... bwahahaha

seriously, that's great news!

som1luvsmi
05-04-2009, 07:04 AM
Congratulations!!! You'll do fine. It's the people who think they're totally prepared that always freak me out. :)

maxmordon
05-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Blessing for your house and your descendants. Congrats, Jo.

jodiodi
05-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Congratulations! Enjoy the whole experience, even the painful parts. You get to do something not everyone else can experience. Good luck with your pregnancy and childbirth and all that mommy stuff.

Cassiopeia
05-04-2009, 12:13 PM
I have to admit, I never wanted kids. I didn't have the best of parents and I'd heard I'd be just like them and figured no kid deserves that.

Then I got married and after 10 months I wanted a child. My first born came just a few months shy of my 27th birthday. From the moment I held her little tiny person I knew I'd never do anything to harm her and would do my best for her.

I hadn't read any books, I pretty much raised my younger brother and two half sisters. I knew how to do it.

I'm so grateful I did. My life is forever changed for the better for having my three children. Even when they do things I'd rather they not, I grow with them. It's like the coolest thing ever.

For example tonight, I was watching Hell's Kitchen with my son and we were screaming at the TV, laughing and going on and on. Anyone looking in might have thought we were nuts but we just get each other.

Family...it's such a great thing to have.

You are going to do so wonderfully. And I think we should all give SK a huge cyber hug and kiss for saying you are beautiful already! Enjoy every single moment of this. It comes and goes so quickly. :)

All the best!

aadams73
05-04-2009, 12:51 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :D

brainstorm77
05-04-2009, 01:03 PM
congrats!

quickWit
05-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Awww, congratulations to you and the hubs, Jo. :)

wannawrite
05-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Congrats! And don't worry about 'screwing them up'. Baby humans are a lot tougher than we give them credit for being. Mine survived, and I hardly ever left them sitting in their baby carriers on the top of the car when I drove off. Hardly ever. Point is, kids are pretty cool. Just love them a lot. And have them brush their teeth at least twice a day. Good oral hygene (sp) is important. Get them to the age of 18 with hair, teeth and toes intact, and your ahead of the game.

Seriously, congrats. You are about to start the most awesome journey of your lives!

KCathy
05-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Congratulations! I totally agree that feeling unprepared is far better than thinking you know everything ahead of time. The rough thing about that, during a first pregnancy, is learning that at least half of the advice you get is complete crap, even if it comes from an expert. That's why I'm a big fan of Dr. Sears, who's a big fan of mothers knowing what they and their babies need. Then again, that's ME giving you advice, so there's a 50% chance I'm full of crap. :-)

I was going to throw some preemptive morning sickness tips at you and realized I already made a post about that here (http://www.catherinebusinelle.com/cat_blog.html). Forgive the link!

I'm going in for a 20-week, make-sure-all-the-toes-are-there ultrasound today, but this is my fourth time around and I'm thinking more about whether or not my husband will make me late than whether or not I'm having a fourth girl.

mscelina
05-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Congratulations, Jo! What a wonderful bit of news for you and your husband. I wish you both all the best. :)

Little Earthquake
05-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Congrats! Of course you're nervous and freaking out, and of course you'll make mistakes (everyone does) but you WILL be a great mom and be so glad you decided to have a family. *hugs*

astonwest
05-05-2009, 04:49 AM
Congratulations!!!

JoNightshade
05-05-2009, 05:12 AM
Thanks again everyone!!! :Hug2:

Everything seems to be working out perfectly. This morning I found out a OBGYN I love is now on my insurance and I snagged an appt. this afternoon! She was so nice and I now have this huge pile of info to read through. Kind of overwhelming but fun at the same time!

Maybe I will not suck at this. ;)

tjwriter
05-05-2009, 06:02 AM
Congrats! It's the most fun, most terrifying, hardest and most fulfilling thing I've ever done with my life.

Read far and wide. Find a system or a mesh of systems that feels right for you.

And if you've never read her, go visit Damomma's blog, Motherhood is Not for Wimps (http://damomma.com). She's funny, insightful and she'll make you pee in pants from laughing and sob your heart out all in the same post. She just gave birth to her third daughter.

Good luck!

Millicent M'Lady
05-05-2009, 06:07 AM
Congratulations to you and the other half! That's great news and a lovely surprise.:)

Don't panic! Just relax and enjoy it. You'll do great!

Soccer Mom
05-05-2009, 06:18 AM
OMGOMGOMG! Just saw this!

:snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: Congrats!