Ranty ranty rant...about ChINOs

Reaction score
Okay, so this morning I was at a place of worship (which I won't name, lest it give the impression all of this denomination are like this). A few people there know I'm a snooker fan. Trust me, this is relevant. The same people there also know I'm a fan of all things Australian.

And when you throw an Australian snooker player into the mix, well...

Anyhoo. Two women were standing talking (loudly) about last night's match between Shaun Murphy and Neil Robertson, before the meeting began, and I smiled, waved and thought, "Ooh, maybe we can exchange a few words about how well Murphy played, and how handsome Robertson is."

But no. I neared them, and one, I kid you not, turned her back and bodyblocked me. You know, when you don't just look away from someone, but turn your back on their path of approach?

*sigh*

Luckily the person she was with wasn't so rude and included me in the conversation - she probably saw the look on my face. So the woman who had blocked me wrapped things up, made her excuses and left.

Now before you think I must have done something specific to upset her, bear this in mind...

Her grown son arrived, and walked past me as I was chatting to someone about being disappointed over Robertson's loss. At the end of the day I'll probably never meet him or talk to him, but I like his style of play, I'm a fan, blah blah, he got knocked out, shit happens.

So. 'Grown up' son butted in and said, in a really malicious tone of voice, "Oh, I'm glad that one got knocked out; I can't stand him. He's too cocky."

Sneered, and walked away.

Yeah.

Insult someone you know I like for no earthly reason than you're that damn negative, then walk away.

I called after him, "Oh, and you're not?" and immediately kicked myself for giving him what he wanted - a reaction.

(It was quite funny actually because the woman to whom I'd been talking said to him, "Now don't make fun of the Australians!" in a 'schoolmarm' tone of voice).

Anyhoo...this family has a reputation for being insular and looking down on outsiders, English people (remember this is Scotland; we're supposed to hate settlers up here), people of different religions, you name it. Even women - though this guy's mother is one. Allegedly...

But they're devious about it. Snide remarks, things no-one else overhears, friendly on the outside, bitchy as hell on the inside. They make it impossible to prove.

I've previously overheard this guy badmouthing a congregation member's parenting skills and when I politely (yes, really!) suggested he might like to take it to her instead of slagging her off behind her back, he looked at me like I was lower than the shit on his shoe.

I think that's the problem. I stand up to this family (I'm not the only one; others do and disapproval is made obvious to anyone who dares) and point out that they're hardly acting in a way to make Jesus proud, no matter what their religious affiliation and they don't like that.

As tt42 will tell you (although I would ask her to be discreet for once;)) I once took someone to task for badmouthing a friend of mine - literally said, "Outside," and gave him a good talking to, some words of which were, "Don't you dare tell me what the Bible says. I know what it says and nowhere does it justify performing a character assassination on someone who's not present to defend himself."

So you could say I get righteously indignant.

It just upsets me that people who claim to be Christians...aren't. They're religious, but not spiritual. They display a complete lack of hospitality (using that word in the Biblical sense of 'love of strangers') and sometimes I feel like banging my head against a brick wall.

I mean, this remark about one of my favourite snooker players...you might think he was joking, but the tone of voice was designed to offend. If you like something, he tears it down. Fancy someone? He says they're useless at whatever they do. Like your job? You're materialistic. It doesn't matter that I wanted Robertson to win, and he lost. It could have been a football team, a tennis player, an athlete. The fact is, it wasn't the snooker player the guy was insulting - it was anyone whom I support.

So - I know I can't change anyone else's behaviour, only my own. Now I've got that rant off my chest, any suggestions as to how I can calm my own self down when this happens again? Because in all walks of life you'll come up against people you don't like. It's the way of the world. Sometimes you can avoid certain people, sometimes you can't. The only way to deal with it is to stop myself getting riled, but...how?

You just expect better of people who claim to have a higher standard of living.

Well. At least, I used to.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I don't think this is even exclusive to those who could be described as religious. Some people simply aren't happy unless they're making someone else miserable.

Life's too short for that. No idea why people do it. But I feel your pain.

Trust me. I married into an entire hive nest swarm infestation colony family of them.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I think you should write about this experience. Sit down and write 1,000 pages about it, then print it up--bail it together tightly, and drop it off a roof onto his head.

Reaction score
I don't think this is even exclusive to those who could be described as religious. Some people simply aren't happy unless they're making someone else miserable.

Life's too short for that. No idea why people do it. But I feel your pain.

Trust me. I married into an entire hive nest swarm infestation colony family of them.

Aye. The religion aspect is largely irrelevant I guess.

As a post script, a friend drove me home and said, "He's always been like that. He enjoys causing offence."

It's reassuring to know it's not just my reaction to him, but y'know...kinda spoils the atmos of what's supposed to be a positive environment.

I won't be going next week. I need some time to think about how to handle it in future.

a) Go elsewhere or
b) Don't go at all!

Although...

I think you should write about this experience. Sit down and write 1,000 pages about it, then print it up--bail it together tightly, and drop it off a roof onto his head.

...works too.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Oh, and I should add that I usually can't resist messing with people like this. Knowing that someone like this just enjoys being a piss-scented douche for no apparent reason, I would be unable to stop myself. I'm rather well-known for my acid tongue, and people like that are almost TOO easy...

"Ohh, did we get up on the wrong side of the litterbox this morning?"
"And what body part are we compensating for THIS time?"
"Oh look, someone has his maxi-pad on sticky side UP again..."

Though...I suppose you'd have to sanitize some of those comments in a church setting...but you get the idea...

Reaction score
Oh, and I should add that I usually can't resist messing with people like this. Knowing that someone like this just enjoys being a piss-scented douche for no apparent reason, I would be unable to stop myself. I'm rather well-known for my acid tongue, and people like that are almost TOO easy...

"Ohh, did we get up on the wrong side of the litterbox this morning?"
"And what body part are we compensating for THIS time?"
"Oh look, someone has his maxi-pad on sticky side UP again..."

Though...I suppose you'd have to sanitize some of those comments in a church setting...but you get the idea...

That's no fun!

The man I'm talking about, he once (!) made a remark which was derogatory to women and I said, "Are you not allowed to have a brain and a vagina in this congregation?"

I swear he nearly spewed at my using that word. I wonder if he has a fear of ladyparts.

Sheesh. Seeing it in black and white makes me wonder, "Why do you bother? Go elsewhere, if at all!"

Weird how typing it all out can help that way.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
The man I'm talking about, he once (!) made a remark which was derogatory to women and I said, "Are you not allowed to have a brain and a vagina in this congregation?"

I swear he nearly spewed at my using that word. I wonder if he has a fear of ladyparts.

I find that threatening to kick a man in the ovary tends to shut him up rather abruptly...

Sheesh. Seeing it in black and white makes me wonder, "Why do you bother? Go elsewhere, if at all!"

Weird how typing it all out can help that way.

Amen to that. I've written countless rants about my demon-in-laws, then looked at it and thought, man, why do I put up with this?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
But no. I neared them, and one, I kid you not, turned her back and bodyblocked me. You know, when you don't just look away from someone, but turn your back on their path of approach?
:eek:

I have a horrible tendency to call out this sort of rudeness with wide, amused eyes and "Oh my god, is she kidding me?" or something, whether or not I have an ally in the group. I swear, I get amazed-amused at how abnormal the behavior really is.

This pisses people off, and they'll either try to bother you more, or they are afraid that your reaction made them look bad and they'll work harder to avoid you. A bit of drama either way, so I do try not to do it, I promise.

No, really, I promise! ;)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gosh, scarlet, write that down. The first part of your post sounds just like the start of an Agatha Christie novel. Title it The Four Corners Mystery.

I'm teasing, but not completely. It really does.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I think, next time he does it in front of a large number of people, hand him a tampon and suggest a stronger version of Midol.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I think we're all skipping over the real gem in this post.

SP goes to church!!!

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
If the guy or any of his family ever badmouth anyone or generally make hurtful remarks, I would always call them out, and never ever let it go, just as you already do. I wouldn't make a big scene, although that would be my instinctive reaction, because it would just end up with the whole thing being on my mind constantly and me feeling agitated. I think just making it clear that you're always going to stand up for anyone they unjustifiably attack in this way should be enough for everyone to know how you will react every time they do it, and that their reaction to you will never change that. It reduces the power they have over you in that situation. They might want to carry on after that, but remember they don't have that power unless you give it to them.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I thought chinos were pants?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
If you consider the consequences and the success rate.