Story ideas for you (Yes, I said you!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaLanie1971

Registered
Reaction score
When I was working on my last MS I was doing a lot of research on the Inquisitions and I came across this story that I would love to see get some attention.

Maybe a book has already been written on this- I don't know. I would love to do the story myself, but I feel this one needs someone with a strong background or understanding in Judaism and its history, to do it justice.

The story is about Edgardo Mortara, a six year old Jewish boy who was secretly baptized by his Christian nurse maid. He was taken from his family by Inquisition Agents in 1858, as they felt he was now one of theirs and should be raised a Christian. His parents were devastated of course and fought hard to get him back. (I cannot remember if they got him back or not.) The story even made international news.

I think this is a powerful story. And I really wish someone would consider using this for book material.

Also, google the Cantonist, in Russia 1825-1855 that might be another great story about the Jewish boy soldiers taken from their homes, as young as 8 years old, forced to eat pork or starve, do road marches until they were dead or almost dead while priest preached at them to convert.

I personally never knew this part of history and most people that I have asked about it never heard of it. I have a big heart for the underdog and stuff like this gets my attention.

If it sparks your interest and you use this let me know, I want to buy a copy if it gets published!

Oh, another idea - the Roma/Gypsy in Europe, you can read about their plight on my blog and see a disturbing video of their abuse today. You would be shocked of the blatant rasicm that is going on in Europe. They have a history of mistreatment, and they are the underdog of the underdogs. If you are interested I have some info on them as well.

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
When I was working on my last MS I was doing a lot of research on the In
The story is about Edgardo Mortara, a six year old Jewish boy who was secretly baptized by his Christian nurse maid. He was taken from his family by Inquisition Agents in 1858, as they felt he was now one of theirs and should be raised a Christian. His parents were devastated of course and fought hard to get him back. (I cannot remember if they got him back or not.) The story even made international news.

I think this is a powerful story. And I really wish someone would consider using this for book material.

There is a nonfiction book about Mortara's life, The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara, by David I. Kertzer. Also, in 2002 Alfred Uhry has written a play, Edgardo Mine, based on Kertzer's book.

PS. I'd be extremely wary of black-and-white topics like these, where the temptation of describing one side as wicked fanatics and the other as suffering martyrs is (justifiably) almost irresistible. A sensational theme does not a good book make. By the way, "Europe" is not exactly a single entity, and the treatment of Rromane people varied by country and period.

Last edited:

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
When I was working on my last MS I was doing a lot of research on the Inquisitions and I came across this story that I would love to see get some attention.

Maybe a book has already been written on this- I don't know. I would love to do the story myself, but I feel this one needs someone with a strong background or understanding in Judaism and its history, to do it justice.

I have a big heart for the underdog and stuff like this gets my attention.

Oh, another idea - the Roma/Gypsy in Europe, you can read about their plight on my blog and see a disturbing video of their abuse today. You would be shocked of the blatant rasicm that is going on in Europe. They have a history of mistreatment, and they are the underdog of the underdogs. If you are interested I have some info on them as well.

I don't think you need to be Jewish to write about this. I'm not black, gay, a woman, American, Scottish, a zombie or a demon and I've managed to write about them. It sounds like you've got the interest, passion and background knowledge to write this yourself.

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
I've actually written a novel about the Roma in Europe from 1739-1741. I'm still in the revising/rewriting phase.

So just thought I'd pop by and tell you that.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you :)

I'd always love to hear more about the Roma. I have them in my satirical WIP, but it reflects encounters with and views of them that I really experienced living in Hungary. In other words, it is supposed to reflect how things were seen by a particular group of people filtered through an American.

OTOH, I am trying to get a full grasp on any views of the matter. I won't try to give any answers in this work, but I sure as hell want to know (and raise?) the questions!

Anyone who is familiar with this culture or European views of this culture, please let me know :)

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
By the way, "Europe" is not exactly a single entity, and the treatment of Rromane people varied by country and period.

This needs to be emphasised. You can't talk about the 'Romani in Europe' in such a general way. It varies between countries, because every European country has its own culture and government. Also, there are various Romani cultures in Europe. They're not a unified group.

Add in the differing attitudes towards settled Romani and travelling Romani, and the changing attitudes across generations. It's not a simple matter. The worst thing a book about them could do is depict it as being simple. Particularly if it's simple in this way: Romani=good, other Europeans=bad, visiting American=good.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
It's not a simple matter. The worst thing a book about them could do is depict it as being simple. Particularly if it's simple in this way: Romani=good, other Europeans=bad, visiting American=good.

Amen to that! And its total opposite is just as bad. The only simple part is that folks very often like to believe things are simple [which is my theme for the Roma part of my WIP, btw].

MaLanie1971

Registered
Reaction score
This needs to be emphasised. You can't talk about the 'Romani in Europe' in such a general way. It varies between countries, because every European country has its own culture and government. Also, there are various Romani cultures in Europe. They're not a unified group.

Thank you, I realize this; it wasn't an all inclusive lecture. I am just throwing out ideas for people to look into as I don't plan on writing on it myself- my work is calling me to another place, but I would love to read books on it. :)

MaLanie1971

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think you need to be Jewish to write about this. I'm not black, gay, a woman, American, Scottish, a zombie or a demon and I've managed to write about them. It sounds like you've got the interest, passion and background knowledge to write this yourself.

It requires WAY more research than I have time to devote.

Status
Not open for further replies.