PDA

View Full Version : Why don't I listen?

Manix
05-02-2009, 07:29 PM
"And there are voices that want to be heard..."

Lyrics from a cool song I heard here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sJPUTTfNbg

I don't think this only applies to relationships with people. I think this song expresses something to me about my writing and listening to my heart as I write. Problem is, sometimes I get my own agenda in the way and try to write my characters in my own image, so to speak.

How many of you ever feel like you've shortchanged the "true story" in your writing, etc., by trying to interpret things for your characters? (Does this make any sense?):tongue Maybe I'm just rambling...

Little Earthquake
05-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Tori Amos said something like this about her songwriting - that her muses promised her they'd always come as long as she was true to their stories, but if she wasn't, they'd find someone else to speak for them.

Storm Dream
05-02-2009, 11:33 PM
I saw that line and went "Roxette!!!" I had such an obsession with that song in my teens.

I did just recently decide that a book (80k words) I wrote in first-person needs to be in third-person, so more voices can be heard. Although sadly it did not come with a pair of Swedes singing in an abandoned castle.

Now I need to go find my old Roxette CD and rip it. Damn, this song is addictive. YAY '80s.