May JHS (Just Hit Send)

Mysti

Aurora, CO is my new home!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.awritersnook.com
I know it isn't posted here yet, but I just want to say a great big CONGRATULATIONS to Jen! FABULOUS WORK!!!! WAY TO GO!

Now, if she didn't post it in April's thread... You can all pry her for the info!

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
I was interviewed today about my piece in The Ultimate Mom for a Mother's Day feature in the local paper. I'm sure I talked waayyyyy more than she wanted to hear. I'm like the Energizer Bunny when I'm nervous and somebody lets me talk. Now I need to write something to say for two speaking engagements I've agreed to. Not nearly as much fun.

Mysti, when I get back to work where I have DSL, I'm gonna have to check out that video. Gotta see my man Simon!

Goals? Oh, I remember those. I'll have to go check. . .

Mysti

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.awritersnook.com
Okay my goals:

Blog 3x's a week to each blog. (9 blog posts a week)
Apply to Examiner (I've been bugged to do it for months. Dig out the whip please!)

Survive.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Hello ladies!
Stop with the whip action, I know it's been forever! I saw Jen's announcement on facebook, YAY!!!

No JHS for me, still no time to submit with that rotten day job thingy over my head but had to say heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey baby~~~

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
wynter - great to see you. Glad you're here. No whipping from me. :)
Amy - congrats on the interview and the book! Way to go.
Mysti - I loved the video and am glad you've posted goals. Make sure to apply for examiner and list someone from AW as your referral source. Also make sure to let us know which topic you're applying for. Good luck.
No goals as of yet. Still have to do a round-up of last months goals.

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Just took a gander at last month's goals.
Here are my goals for May:
1. Post twice a week each at FW, Examiner and my portfolio.
2. Post at least three times daily at Momslikeme.com.
3. Finally finish this stupid third assignment.
4. Maintain contact with my writer buds.
5. Apply for more writing jobs instead of just looking and bookmarking them. Lol

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Okay I posted my goals at my portfolio. :)

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
I actually wrote yesterday. I plotted out ideas for my examiner articles for the month. Now all I have to do is plot blogposts for the Freshman Writer and my portfolio. We'll see how that goes. Then after that, I have to actually write the darn things. LOL

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
lol. Thanks, Mysti & Amy.

Here's the scoop....

On Friday afternoon, I had an appointment with Dan Case, editor of WritingForDollars and publisher of AWOC Books. Last year, I learned that he was doing a "Devoted to..." series of devotional books. As of right now, there are Devoted to Writing, Devoted to Cooking, Devoted to Fishing, and Devoted to Truck Driving. I wanted to pitch DEVOTED TO CREATING.

A few weeks ago, he posted on Twitter that he was accepting appointments at the conference (which I knew about) and I replied I already had an appointment with him. He asked me to e-mail 10 pages of "something" to him so we would have a more productive 10 minutes.

So, as I'm sure you've figured...He wants it!!

(Ask ritinrider how her appointment with him and an editor from Tyndale went.)

Also...In May, with the writers' organization, we change officers. This year, I'm Publicity Director. I've already started on that, but more on that in my goals list since it was done in May. :)

Now for my May goals (sorry this post it going to be so long):
  • Query $80/day with NO carry-overs.
  • Send pitches for May to TutorialBlog and do assignments from them.
  • Send 3 book-related submissions to agents/publishers.
  • Update all blogs at least 2x a week.
  • 2 Bukisa, eHow, & Demand Studios articles a week
  • Expand submissions to include national magazines since I want to get into at least one this year
  • Update my websites.
  • An article for WritingForDollars.com
  • Get OWFI on Twitter. Done (They're HERE.)
  • Post regular updates for OWFI on Twitter.
  • Write 3-4 devotions a week for DEVOTED TO CREATING.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
My goals are short and sweet this month!
  1. Book:
    • Finish my outline by May 19th
    • Start researching, drafting interview questions
  2. Start back at school May 26th
  3. With the Grain:
    • One blog post per business day
    • 10 articles this month
  4. Examiner.com: at least 3-4 articles per week
  5. Suite101.com:
    • one blog post per business day
    • 10 articles this month
We're working through a homeschooling program here, too, so it's going to be a busy month with that. I also start a new gig in the middle of this week, I think, so that will go on this list when I finalize the details.

This feels weird... I'm used to seeing my long OCD lists! LOL

Last edited:

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning everyone, hope it's was a good weekend for all. Mine was great, went to writer's conference, met Thursday B. who happened to come to Ok for a visit with family as conference was ending.
Mysti-Whoo-hoo glad to see you back girl. Thanks for starting this month's thread. Great goals, I admire all of you who post regularly on your blogs, especially when you have more than one. Go girl, apply for that examiner job. Oh, and the survive goal? That's important, do your best to achieve that goal, k?
Amy-WhoopDeeDoo, you're famous, being interviewed and all. We don't have to bow down to you do we, you know, like you're a queen or something? And I'm sure you didn't talk way more than she wanted to hear, she was interviewing you she wanted to hear. Not to mention, it's preferable to an enterview when your interviewee doesn't talk at all.
You'll do great on the speaking engagements. Hey, if I can do it you can do it.
wynter- those rotten day jobs, keeping our sweet wynter away from us. Now why should we put the whips away, please let us whip those mean people slaving you till all hours so you can't pop in on your peeps. Hang on girl, we'll all be here anytime you can sneak away and pop in.
sky- I've seen several posts of updates from you. I'm sure you met or exceeded your goals for April. Wow! great goals for May. I like the actual apply as opposed to find and bookmark goal. Can so relate to that one. And maintaining contact with your writer buds, (that's us-right?)that one is vital to your well-being.
Jen- great goals as usual and I know I told you, but congrats on the Publicity Director job.

Just waking up from a writer's conference here in OK. Yes, I got back to the house yesterday, but wasn't worth much. At any rate conference was great. Was able to meet our own ThursdayB who happened to come to town as the conference was ending. Plus, found out how I fared in the contests I entered. Answer-not good. But, the feedback from the judges was super. I'll be able to take their suggestions and make major improvements which will hopefully make the pieces more palatable to editors, we'll see.

Also, as Jen hinted, yes Dan Case at AWOC books was at the conference AND he wants my essays on quilting for his DEVOTED series. In fact, we had talked about it a couple of times and he told one group he had the book in the works before he told me he was accepting the idea. I have a July deadline for it. Yep, that's gonna be one of my goals for May and June, to finish it.

Also, while at the conference I snagged a time with an editor from Tyndale. They only take submissions from agents, unless they met the writer at a conference. I told her about a book idea that's been rolling around in my head (there's lots of room up there). She liked it and suggested a couple of ideas for it. She also gave me her business card and told me to send it to her when I got it written, even if it took 8 or 9 months. Another writer was blown away, she couldn't believe an editor gave me that much time. I haven't decided if I'm going to work on it while finishing DEVOTED or wait until it goes to the editor, but it will for sure go on the goal list even though it's fiction for July and August.

My real goals for May are:
DEVOTED stories (goal is 5/day, we'll see, but Julie introduced me to a site that is making that easier.
Build a website
Move the scholarship blog to the website
Close the general blog, after posting a friend's poem
Continue to send queries out (goal is 3 a week, we'll see)
Fix the columns, send them out to editors, actually talk to local editors about the column idea
Send the book proposal out this month. Really, I'm going to send it out. I'll let you know before I do it though, because I'll need all of you standing behind me helping me actually click on "send", and I know you'll be there when I get there.

Ok that should be it. Now time to get dressed (if I can decide what to wear) and head to Tulsa. Oh, btw, if I repeated anything, or this post just plain doesn't make sense, calk it up to fried, tired brain. Thanks.

[

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
Just waking up from a writer's conference here in OK. Yes, I got back to the house yesterday, but wasn't worth much. At any rate conference was great. Was able to meet our own ThursdayB who happened to come to town as the conference was ending. Plus, found out how I fared in the contests I entered. Answer-not good. But, the feedback from the judges was super. I'll be able to take their suggestions and make major improvements which will hopefully make the pieces more palatable to editors, we'll see.
Based on what I've read between you and Jen, I REALLY-REALLY would LOVE to go to a writer's conference!!! I wonder if there are ever any in Maine... I'll have to check on that....

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Jenn, check at ShawGuides.com. Last time I looked, they had a lot of conference listings on there.

I realized sometime last night/this morning that I forgot to include something in my list of goals. My class is in June, so I need to flesh out the outline I did already.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Hope you find something in your area. :)

I admit, I went to my first conference with more than a little timidity and trepidation. But...

I haven't looked back since!

scriptor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Hey all,

Just thought I'd drop in and catch up.. congrats Jenn,..........

Good luck for May to all.. .me.. I think I'm gonna wing it for May..... God Bless

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
congrats to everyone. Jen and ritin - great news, guys! I love hearing when others do well, it gives me hope :)

I have only a few goals this month:
- get my computer fixed
- get a couple articles done on the farmer who plowed up the city cemetary
- send out at least 3 queries a week
- find time to write ... spring on the farm is fun, but time consuming. Especially since I opened my big mouth and goaded my husband into buying 21 bottle feeder calves. I am so dumb ... Better than 6 hours of my day is taken up by feeding.

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Well I've done pretty good for myself so far today. I met my goal for the week for Examiner. I posted two articles today. :) (Pats self on the back) I also posted once each at my portfolio and FW. I also posted at Sky's blog which was neglected for a few weeks. I hope to keep writing and posting and get applications out for writing gigs. I also need to check into Momslikeme.com to earn my keep there. LOL That's on for tonight. First, dinner and then writing.

Mysti

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.awritersnook.com
*squeals with excitement* I want to share, but can't until it arrives... and yes, it's writing related, in a way.

It's been a good day even though I'm typing 1-handed with a feverish baby who's crabby from an ear infection. =)