MOON

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I've been working the Tribeca Film Festival for the past two weeks, but finally had the chance to sit in on a film last night, the world premiere of MOON.

The film stars Sam Rockwell as Sam Bell, a guy living on the moon for three years working in an energy station. He has a three year contract until he returns home, but two weeks before, he starts to lose it.

There is much more to the film than the basic premise, and reminds me a lot of the sci-fi/ethic aspects of something like Gattaca. Kevin Spacey voices Sam's computer, but for the most part Rockwell is the only actor in the film. It did seem to take a bit for the film to find its real footing, but underneath the sci-fi elements there was a real sense of character. Loved this film and I think it's a real worthwhile experience even if you don't consider yourself sci-fi inclined. (Sci-fi lite, I call it.)

Anyway, this is one of the few films that premiered at Tribeca with a studio and release date already attached. Sony Pictures is giving it a wider release in May. It's the first feature film directed by Duncan Jones, David Bowie's son.

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds intriguing, thanks for the heads-up. :) Since it's not a hollywood blockbuster, my thtoopid local theatre probably won't get it, so I'll have to wait for the DVD. :(

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping this. I know people have seen MOON now (there was a brief discussion in the Potter thread) but apparently no one else had seen it when I started this thread back May.

Please go. It's awesome.

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
I think that Moon is a true science fiction film, much more so than crap like Star Wars or Transformers, which are fantasy films in a futuristic setting.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
One of the best films of the year. Sam Rockwell rocks. A great hard science fiction that non-scifi fans would enjoy as well. Remarkable. Understated. Great writing and acting.

Seriously, catch it in theatre if you can. Films like this need our support (instead of dumping yet another $10 on crap like Transformers).

Yeah, got a kick out of the fact that Duncan Jones is Bowie's son. And the general 'tude seems to suggest that. ;)

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, got a kick out of the fact that Duncan Jones is Bowie's son. And the general 'tude seems to suggest that. ;)

I actually got to watch this sitting directly behind David Bowie and Duncan Jones. It was a huge trip - not only was I watching a director see his film in front of an audience for the first time, I was watching his dad give him jabs in the elbow every time we laughed or responded appropriately.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Oooh, you were sitting behind David Bowie the man himself? You just earned a lot of Kewl points.

I'm curious about the release date. It was slated for May, you said. But it seemed like they decided to make it a summer movie by bumping it to July.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, you were sitting behind David Bowie the man himself? You just earned a lot of Kewl points.

I'm curious about the release date. It was slated for May, you said. But it seemed like they decided to make it a summer movie by bumping it to July.

May was probably a mistake on my part originally, since that's when I saw it. I probably just mixed up the months - I think July was always right; I remember seeing it on the posters.

Actually, I just checked - it released today! GO SEE IT!!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The official release date is today, but my theatre has been showing it for a week or so now. Strange. I guess they were in limited release and now it's "wider" release.

Yeah, go see it.

john barnes on toast

Registered
Reaction score
Just got in from seeing this film

It was a very enjoyable, and intelligent film.

If I had one criticism I think it might have benefitted from taking even longer to establish the normality of Sam's routine. I think the major conflict/disruption is introduced too early and could have been held back. The first scenes that suggest Sam's mental unrest are oddly surreal and unsettling, but all these effects would have been amplified for revealing them that bit more slowly.

Still very good, though.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Saw it tonight, it has been a while where I felt so compelled by a sci-fi film. It's au par with Gattaca, if not surpas it.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
It really is an interesting movie, and well done. A very "character-driven" and emotionally gripping story.